AuthorTopic: Official Anatomy Thread  (Read 403865 times)

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Re: Official Anatomy Thread

Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 05:26:02 pm
Is it possible to learn anything anatomy-wise without reference? I'm not being sarcastic (ironic?), that's a legitimate question!

And -his- left arm looks horribly, horribly broken, as the shoulder and arm point totally different directions.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 05:43:24 pm
hmmm... you are right about his left arm... I'll look into that.

as for learning anatomy without reference - no you cannot.  But unless you apply what you've learned *without* reference, you are merely just replicating photos.  So as you cannot *learn* anatomy without reference, you can learn how to apply it without.  (as I'm doing here)

and the angular-ness of the image - obviously an artistic choice.  I'm going through an angular phase right now I think.  If we had to render everything exactly how it is then we wouldn't be much of artists would we?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 05:54:35 pm by Indigo »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 11:06:49 pm
Willows: it's possible to learn anatomy without PHOTO reference, photos are actually quite unnecessary. but when you get to learning the bones I doubt you would want to dissect somebody and learn from life.... although that one guy has been getting on my nerves lately...

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 05:07:09 am
UPDATE:  thanks for the crits

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 06:10:05 am
about angular muscles
Curves abstracted to angles is not necessarily a stylistic choice but a great way of learning the essence of a form. Where curves can be fuzzy, angles are abstracted forms (of the original curve) and therefore more clear and much easier to read. This knowledge can be extended when it's solid enough (Going from rough to fine).

about practicing anatomy without studying the inner parts
Anatomy does not only contain bones, tendons and muscles. There are other parts (some maybe more important) like gesture and overall proportions. These can be learned and studied just by observing and imitating nature (through life (or photos)) without the knowledge of the inner structure (except for the rough skeletal maybe). Bengal is a (exceptional case?) artist which practice very believable anatomy without studying the fundamentals, but you need a good sense for aesthetic and shapes. So I say it's possible, but there's no need to skip this study. First it's just a shortcut and these are never a good way of going through life. Second you will always be limited on the poses you learned and the others will lack of believability. If you really master anatomy with all his fine details you can create every pose from every angle in a believable way.
One thing to mention at last. You should be an artist first and physician last. So learn as much that you can communicate your message but as less that you keep loose and not end in stiff, over rendered muscle men.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 10:30:53 am
and the angular-ness of the image - obviously an artistic choice.  I'm going through an angular phase right now I think.  If we had to render everything exactly how it is then we wouldn't be much of artists would we?

Yes, artistic choice is fine, but if you are doing it to practise your anatomy skills then just stick to the basics leaving all artistic choice behind.  If your doing it to create a piece of art which features a naked man, knock yourself out.
 :)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 03:47:48 pm
I disagree.  i think Rosse explains my point much better than I could. 

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 04:34:18 pm
Indigo, you're treating the pecks like some sort of mutable film. While they are indeed flexible and will hold and support the arms in any position, they are still pivoted at specific points to the chest. A peck will not rise independent of the bone structure  below it and that's why it's a good idea to study what's underneath the muscles too. You have a deep shadow under that peck that you probably should smooth out, I'd say. Also go ahead and place the nipples in non-vague positions so that can be examined I'd say.

As a muscle study it's okay, but it's missing hands and two legs. I know it might sound pedantic that I write this, but really you should finish all the body in such sketches. If you had, you'd see that you need to give support for the pose in the end, and that the feet must propel the center of gravity in a meaningful way. Furthermore, hands and body language would further explain that your anatomy study, even as an anatomy study, must emote something. The body must be trying to tell some sort of story. Otherwise as it has been noted, it's just a drawing of some naked muscle. I'll take an anatomically faulty but emotive construction over a hundred muscle-impressive, dense and angular-cool looking figures that do not seem to serve a meaning.

The post by Rosse is one that finds me in agreement also. Bengal is good but you can see how his art evolves out of anime-cliche and as such the bodies he draws have that sort of effect about them, making their language somewhat stilted at times, I'd say.

One thing to mention at last. You should be an artist first and physician last. So learn as much that you can communicate your message but as less that you keep loose and not end in stiff, over rendered muscle men.

Quite.

Ryu:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/Chriskhaos/IMG_2518.jpg

Facial characteristics all squatted at the bottom of the face. Time for face studies not just body studies! Furthermore I guess, short torso, very small legs and waist.

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: July 03, 2008, 05:07:44 am
Figured I'd chuck some schoolwork out here. I'm still learning like a sonofabitch, but it's coming along.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/SaboteurGreg/2min_1.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/SaboteurGreg/5min_1.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/SaboteurGreg/5min_2.jpg

There's three links up above that massive image, if you're looking for more!

If you see any consistent failures, feel free to point 'em out. I'm always looking to improve :)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: July 03, 2008, 02:21:16 pm
Helm: thanks, you got me to look at some things I didnt even notice before. About the face, I drew it with only pen and I accidentally drew that nose and was like" shit" so I just squeezed the lips in there. The eyes are more or less in the right place though?

Willows: these all have very good gestures to them, which comes in later. They lack solid construction.