AuthorTopic: Feature 06 - Razor, leader of the Blades (Fallout fan-art)  (Read 192296 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: [wip] Razor, leader of the Blades (Fallout fan-art)

Reply #60 on: June 04, 2008, 04:54:21 pm
I think you should try a less stylized direction with the shaved head part, a much, much subtler texture. You've got an 'uncanny valley' effect going on, never forget that when you're drawing something realistic in one part, if the next part in the same picture is done with less SCIENCE!! it sticks out very much.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: June 04, 2008, 05:55:04 pm
wawa, what's up with the 45 degree neck shadow?  I agree with helm on this one - you've come too far towards realism to push it the other way without looking inconsistent or - worse - without purpose.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #62 on: June 04, 2008, 05:55:26 pm
I don't agree on the uncanny valley thing here, that needs more oddness to apply. Though I am not a massive fan of the shaved bit either, and agree that a more subtle texture would be better.
Also not a fan of 'lol demoscene stye texture everything' on the right side. If you do that make sure it does not distract. Atm it really pulls the viewers eye in a bad way and does distract from her face.
I like where this is going though. Very good pixelling so far.

Edit: Hah, just saw that 45 degree neckshadow as well, that needs to change. Define the form of the neck with the shadow :o
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 06:06:38 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #63 on: June 05, 2008, 08:10:33 am
thanks for the replies guys,

p(re)-s: Nathan, womanliness: you know, I'm studying English philology for nearly 2 years and couldn't even find the right noun for that, so thanks. :)

o-okay, I see what you mean but look: I'm not a big fan of the shaved part either . . . and, what's worse, have not a *slightest* clue of how to combine it with the surrounding hair area. but what can I do? I don't know, maybe I make her wearing a leather biker cap? that in vein of Lady Blackhawk? hmm . . . :hehe:

what about the background texture, I'm just testing various rust and rusty metal patterns there and this one is just me being carried away. I think the Confederate Flag instead would fit the space perfectly. :)

Quote from: ptoing
. . . that 45 degree neckshadow . . . needs to change. Define the form of the neck with the shadow :o

yeah, heheh, will be done!

thanks once more!
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #64 on: June 05, 2008, 08:45:08 am
but what can I do? I don't know, maybe I make her wearing a leather biker cap?

What you can and should do is not run away from the challenge. Look at reference of how shaved heads work, shrink the reference down to the size you're working on, sharpen them with a filter a bit and see what sort of pattern emerges that you can use. If you want I'll try an eding, but I'm certain you can do it. Thirding the neck shadow and seconding the background detailmess. If it were info, it would be okay. If you were drawing something like a crashed airplane or an old truch behind her I wouldn't mind the detail, but right now it's like ptoing said, detail for detail's sake, demoscene style. You're not trying to win a demoscene compo here, right? :P No need to dazzle with too much detail in our face, make every pixel count.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #65 on: June 05, 2008, 09:25:37 am
but what can I do? I don't know, maybe I make her wearing a leather biker cap?
What you can and should do is not run away from the challenge.
I second that!!! in fact i was about to say it, damn you Helm!
a very quick dirty.

make the hairline look more natural and the division between the shaved and 'haired' area of the head will look more appropriate.*
You lost a great sense of volume when you texturerd the hair, when texturing it is important not to lose sight of the big picture. What you had made it nearly look like her brains were showing.
Yeah just a repeat on the neck lighting comments.*
Also something about the area above her left (on our right) eye seemed a little puffy, not sure if i fixed it, wasn't a big deal.
For some reason I felt a need to accentuate the face jewlery. I think they might stand out a little more due to metals high contrast. But what you had isn't really that off.

*: Careful with strong solid lines in creating faces with pixel art. Because of the grid like nature of the medium it is very easy to over do it. I see that you are wanting to create a fairly powerful look (this is particularly evident with the nose) and by all means stark divisions of areas is the way to go, however the combination of this and pixel the pixel art medium can make you over compensate for what should come fairly naturally.

Good stuff so far, very, very cool looking. Also she reminds me a little of Jennifer Morrison from house for some reason.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:40:42 pm by ptoing »
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #66 on: June 05, 2008, 10:12:05 am
nice edit zeid!!  however her hair is dark and would therefore be a little bit grey on top.  see: Click!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:41:48 pm by ptoing »

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #67 on: June 05, 2008, 04:04:36 pm
Absolutely love watching the progress on this!

A couple of references for lips and lip highlights, though. I think you've mostly fabricated the highlight on the top lip. In reality it seems to highlight at the peak of the lips (the little u-shaped indent beneath the nose) and fade into the rest of the face elsewhere.

I support my claims with evidence!

Click!
Clack!
Cluck!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:46:06 pm by ptoing »

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #68 on: June 05, 2008, 09:59:53 pm
alright, thanks! good edit, zeid! everything said so far has been successfully utilized!!1 :yay:

enough of mannerism. heheh, if i were to win a compo I'd make her naked, busty and wielding some fake fantasy sword. ;p

PS: actually, there are two 'compo' projects down the line, a little more ambitious than the regular nakedtitsbareass stuff. Helm, I'll catch up with you on MSN when I get something started (haven't been there for ages!) to talk over some things.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:46:39 pm by ptoing »
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #69 on: June 06, 2008, 07:06:32 am
GREAT! This is much better! I think that line of separation between shaved and hair is a bit too clean but that's just me. It could also use some of the non-skin tones.
The neck shadow looks better. This is my favorite thread on pixelation right now. Totally worth featuring when it's done... I hope.