AuthorTopic: Hixel it!  (Read 77674 times)

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Re: Hixel it!

Reply #40 on: May 22, 2008, 07:05:25 pm
pattern's okay for that kind of piece, but everything is better than just one hixel dots. I think it'd be cool to see some flying forks or even other toasts instead.

your work looks flat because the perspective's off in some places. the darkest shade inside the mouth-hole(?) suggest the form is deeper than it actually is. this one simple fix should do the trick (my rough edit on the right):

search for one-point perspective tutorials if you're still having troubles with that sort of thing.
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline wah_wah_69

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: May 22, 2008, 09:02:46 pm
Thanks for the advice!

This is the last iteration, yes some more elements would make it seem better, but for a first "serious" approach at pixeltweaking I think it's ok.

I shouldn't have started with this whole "hexels" thing,its too restrictive and time consuming for a newbie like me.

Offline Peach

• Compile Me!
    • View Profile
    • The Peach Portfolio.

Reply #42 on: May 23, 2008, 01:35:03 am
@Peach: that's a hell of a hixelwork! I know it's goddamn hard to keep the work in one piece all the time while working on such restrictions, but IMO it deserves more attention. I'd work a little more on lines (some of them still appear jagged) and anti-aliasing (some portions are over-aa'd, some are left plain). also, you should do something with the pillowshaded hixels nearly the beard. :)

hehe I just went crazy on this :) I choose the palette too early, and hence I think I should even rework the blues. let's see what I can do. I just need some spare time to dedicate onto it.
I really like the legs and the rays. but the dark blue... damn it's too saturated :-\ I think I'll also add another color in that ramp (just because I've there're only 14 colors + black in it ;) sorta bonus)
"It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye". - mom

Offline megane

• /swt
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: May 23, 2008, 04:01:27 pm

That big area of green is bothering me, but i don't really know what to do with it; I might have to add in another shade of green, since neither of the ones currently adjacent to it seem subtle enough to shade it without looking garish and drawing attention away from the beam.  Or I could, like, add in some features or somethin'.  :wah:

Hixels make my head feel funny.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 04:04:31 pm by megane »
ano hito wa jiku ga buretanai
suteki

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: May 23, 2008, 05:01:13 pm
That just got really fucking badass, Megane. ;D
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Peach

• Compile Me!
    • View Profile
    • The Peach Portfolio.

Reply #45 on: May 23, 2008, 08:18:08 pm
hooooo
da face is harder than I thought :(
I'screaming "HIXELS" around my house...

added one more color to my palette (still one unused) but still the face do not convince me...
"It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye". - mom

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #46 on: May 24, 2008, 01:37:12 am
That big area of green is bothering me, but i don't really know what to do with it; I might have to add in another shade of green, since neither of the ones currently adjacent to it seem subtle enough to shade it without looking garish and drawing attention away from the beam.  Or I could, like, add in some features or somethin'.  :wah:
yea, that's pretty freakin' chill! maybe try some flora? a blade of grass or two wouldn't hurt it.

added one more color to my palette (still one unused) but still the face do not convince me...
hmm, why are you keeping colors that are useless in your palette? still, the lower part of the tunic look a bit harsh: I'm thinking about those jaggy lines just above *his* right foot.
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: May 24, 2008, 02:23:38 am
Welll, here is another update.. I will not finish it :/, to many colours for just a skin tone...

Still it was a fun test..

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: May 24, 2008, 02:53:32 am
Megane, that is ridicadank. Really. :D
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: May 26, 2008, 07:56:34 am

Croc-rockets! 8D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 02:27:34 am by Anything! »