AuthorTopic: Experimental C64-Amiga 500 hybrid  (Read 7985 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Experimental C64-Amiga 500 hybrid

on: August 05, 2005, 09:46:18 pm
Resolution and colorrestrictions per 8x8 tile = c64, 32 12 bit colors (4 bits per channel) = amiga 500. I only used 29 colors tho :P
Go me for senseless experimental stuff!

crits and stuff welcome
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Re: Experimental C64-Amiga 500 hybrid

Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 10:09:24 pm
that's so cool, seriously. good job smoothening the borders of the two. i know i haven't been very helpful with this piece here before, so i'll try again :). the lighting on the nose of the... erm.. fruit seems like it's using a different lightsource than the worm does (does one _use_ a lightsource? mhh, anyways..), making it look like it's two separate colors (orange and red) rather than being shaded. and there's some slight aa-jaggies in the lower right part of the leaf. if you still got a color left in those 8x8 tiles maybe use the second-darkest green you have there on the main fruit to smoothen that.

and where you're already at it, why not post some other fun experiments. like the hexels :)

edit: yay for spellcheck :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 10:11:22 pm by miascugh »

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 10:22:22 pm
reload the picture.

I added aa on the lower right tip of the leaf. I see what you mean about the nose, the transition from the reddish orange to the yellow is a bit harsh, i used the remaining colors i had to make new transition colors extra for the nose!!!! so now it is 31 colors (actually 32, but figure that one out yourself).

And the hixel (not hexel) is not done yet, and i will post it once it is.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 10:44:37 pm
I remember you showing me this one a while back. its really beautiful. I want to start getting into this stuff as well.

my only quabble with this one is how sharp the upper lip is on the worm. way too narrow :S. other than that, this is making me soooo horny for pixels.
alexander

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 09:35:44 pm
Love this piece a lot, but everytime I see it I want to see it without the c64 restrictions, I guess. The tile limits only make sense aesthetically when you don't have so many colours. If the eye can't discern the machine palette it becomes somewhat of an skill exersize to do such pics but not much different in the end result, for the viewer, from doing them full-on Amiga style

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 09:43:05 pm
Helm: I know what you mean. It is a bit contradicing to use that many colours with the strict mcol restrictions. Well, I think it was successful as far as the experiment goes, but i doubt i will do it again :D