AuthorTopic: Nintendo DS (Just think of the possibilities!)  (Read 19753 times)

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Re: Nintendo DS (Just think of the possibilities!)

Reply #10 on: August 07, 2005, 11:45:56 am
helm: haha, you actually recognize bands by their corpse paint style? :P yeah, i used that priceless immortal shot of the wikipedia corpse paint article as reference. quite evul

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: August 07, 2005, 01:02:39 pm
it isn't just the corpsepaint. It's the posture and clothing. That's a dead-ringer for Abbath, good job. Ptoing told me about the game you're making, sounds hilarous.

EDIT: I couldn't help myself

TRVE MASTERS OF NEBVLAR FROST!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 02:08:16 pm by Helm »

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 07, 2005, 07:35:52 pm
I only pray that lucasarts gets off their collective asses and port every last one of their awesome point&click adventure games to the DS. If I could have Day of the Tentacle DS I would be the happiest little boy- man ever.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 07, 2005, 08:40:41 pm
:O hahaha, it's so hard to believe that that pose is not intentionally so utterly daft

crab: yes

ok, no more spamming from me now

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005, 10:25:29 pm
Erm, sorry to say but the touch screen and stylus arnt as good as you think.  In the DS game Polarium if you get a high score you can pixel in an icon for your high score.  You were suposed to just draw a face but, I actualy drew some stuff.  It was very very very frustrating, pixels randomly appearing, lines off and many other problems.  Yet I did it, it was very frustrating but I did it.  Its posible yet it took me 15 mins to draw a black and white 16 x 16 character.  That was when I knew what I was drawing.
Dont mock my spelling, spell check takes too long on dial up.
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 08, 2005, 12:07:39 am
Sure they're good. And.. why Polarium? Try it with the... er... .. Pictochat! That's it. Sure, it's incredibly hard to be precise without zooming, but other than that, I found it works excellently. No random pixels, smooth lines and all. Just gotta remember to not draw at weird angles like I do on a paper.. makes pixels appear where I'm not expecting them...

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #16 on: August 08, 2005, 12:15:08 am
Polarium gives you a very small area that has been zoomed in.  Its like 17 x 17 or sum10.  1x1 bigger than my char.  I dunno mabye its just the game.
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Mori

• Gao!
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 08, 2005, 05:22:53 am
Man, I'm so dissappointed in the DS. :(

I've heard people say that it's not really meant to be an adventure type console, and that the touch screen is not really supposed to be used for anything more than 3 minute sessions of (ultimately) boring play. Well, I think that if that's what Nintendo is doing, then they're in the wrong, since the stylus can act just like a mouse, and this opens up a whole new slew of gaming ideas that don't really seem to be opening up to the minds of the creators.

First person shooters with better control setups than Metroid Prime: Hunters, and Goldeneye: Rogue Agent are possible, although the tiny resolution and lackluster 3D prevent it from dong as good as the PSP probably could even without the intuitive touch screen.  First person adventure games (I'm looking square at Bethesda here) could have so many new features (directional attacking, first person based puzzles, runic magic, to name a very few), sort of like Lost in Blue might be doing. Racing games could do a neat, although not possibly the best, steering wheel and/or clutch mechanism, or even something as creatively simple as a real time strategy game could be rather easily implemented.

There are also a ton of new app type things that could be opened up with the use of the GBA slot. The pixel program would be great, and especially so if they did something to expand upon PictoChat to allow, for instance, avatars and online WiFi conversations from just about anywhere (OK, so it'd be more like MSN on a WiFi connection than PictoChat, heh). Or make a browser type app to browse the web, since the DS is going online soon (yay!). The Nintendo Play-Yan is a neat idea, and seems to be a pretty handy-dandy little mpeg-4 and mp3 playback unit -- along with other tiny little games -- for those of you who don't know about it, although video is kind of lacking from what I can tell because of the smaller screen size. That and I'd rather have my handy-dandy 20GB MP3 player for music, anyway. :)

Developing for a system with such an unprecedented amount of potential would really be a lot of fun, and I'd absolutely love to get my hands on a Dev-Kit to really start working on something, but I guess Nintendo's being rather sticky about this one... real shame, too.

As for games, Kirby is a good game, sort of. To be honest, I got bored rather quickly. Probably only about halfway through the game and I didn't really want to keep going, although it really does begin to take use of the touch screen for a new type of gameplay when compared to the other games out.

Yoshi's Touch & Go seems to be more of a 3 minute coffee break style game, but I think that'd require actually wanting to look forward to playing it when you did get a break. The first time I played it, I thought it was neat. I hoped there was more to it, but the next 3 and 4 times I played it, there just wasn't. Every couple days I pick it up, thinking if I just sat back and ignored the fact that it's not an adventure meant to be played for hours at a time game or to just put aside my previous feelings about it, I'd like it, but so far, even after opening everything up and exploring the new modes, it's still boring as all hell.

I only ever got to play Polaris once, and it seemed to be fun. Maybe not super great, "OMG I Have to play again and again!!" type fun, but entertaining for the few minutes it lasted, heh. I've never played Meteos, so I have no idea what that's like, although I heard it really is a lot of fun if you're into the Tetris Attack style puzzlegames with a twist.

Um, Unless you really like the Yoshi's Touch & Go Coffee Break style gameplay (to reiterate, just a few minutes at a time), I wouldn't recommend Feel the Magic: XX/XY or, for that matter, the better Wario Ware. I mean, they both have their moments where they're fun, but minigame after minigame.... so many of them were so lackluster that of the few hundred there, I probably only play 5 or 6 often, and even then, the minigames on Super Mario 64 DS are more fun. :)

In my opinion, the best game here is Super Mario 64 DS. Oh, and Metroid Prime: Hunters Demo... The Mario is just the same Mario as the 64, only with a few more things, like controlling Luigi, or Yoshi, or Wario, and minigames, and more stars. Not a super duper gotta get it type game, but still good.

From what I can gather, those are the best games out. I haven't tried the Need for Speed or whatever other game it was, or Pac-Pix, or really, any of the others. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent and Madden NFL 209999 were only decent. Not super great, and nothing really worth getting unless you really wanted a First person shooter or a football game, respectively, for your portable system.

There is quite a lineup of games coming out soon that look to be more interesting. Nintendogs, for instance, or even Snowboard Kids DS (I loved the original, I don't care what people say, heh). Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest 2 (heh, no, really, that's the name. I'm not advertising my name, hehe) might be alright along with Lunar: Dragon Song if you want some RPG stuff going on.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory DS is probably one of those games I wouldn't get, 'cause I never found the first ones entertaining, fun, or interesting at all. There are plenty of other games at least partially worthy of note that I can remember noted for future release; Bust-A-Move DS, Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing DS, Advance Wars DS, and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow.

And, um... Yeah, sorry for being so friggin' verbose. I get that way every now and then, y'know.
Hey, #pixelation is still around on irc.sorcery.net. So point your favorite IRC client that way and hang a while.

Offline GenesisGenocide

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 08, 2005, 04:36:13 pm
The homebrew scene for the DS has already made some progress.  I think they're still using the GBA carts to run the programs, but they've gotten full control of the touch screen and the mic.  In fact, the only thing that hasn't been welll-documented is network communication, which few people got working on the GBA too.

http://www.thepernproject.com has a few tutorials in this regard.

Cheers,
--Brian

Offline Schu

• The front is a lemon avenue flying straightly
    • View Profile
    • Eyegore-net

Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005, 01:07:10 pm
I only pray that lucasarts gets off their collective asses and port every last one of their awesome point&click adventure games to the DS. If I could have Day of the Tentacle DS I would be the happiest little boy- man ever.

Well I doubt Lucasarts would do that (I wanna play Loom again!) but there's this in the meantime. An emulator for the DS to play those games \o/ and apparently uses the stylus too. Now...If only I had a flashcart...