AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #7: Cinematendo!  (Read 129838 times)

Offline snake

• View Profile

Re: Mockup Frenzy #7: Cinematendo!

Reply #80 on: March 11, 2008, 06:23:38 pm
Been a little busy with finding new jobs, but I had to try this thing.

So I watched Cloverfield recently and thought this might be an interesting consept for a game. Since the NES can't do first person very well, I had to fit it into something it *could* do. Basically you follow the plot of the movie and controll the group as you're out to save mr. hero's girlfriend. You navigate the streets freely and try to find your way there. The cameraman (forgot his name) is recording the event. Thugs try to steal his camera and the batteries need refilling every now and then. If it shuts off or is broken, the screen goes black and you have to start at your last recording. Loot stores to get supplies and save people in danger. During certain points, you'll need to use the camera guy's nightvision, but that uses more battery power, so you have to stack up. Might be something I could use later, I don't know.

The limitations were a bit dodgy, so I'm not sure I hit it perfectly. I'm using 3, 4 colour background-palettes on 64 tiles and all 4 sprite palettes and several tile sprites (one palette per sprite.) Using 17x17 pixel tiles on the background since it fits the screen perfectly (that's the size I got off the batman tiles at least.)

Nice smilies by the way  :hehe:

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #81 on: March 11, 2008, 06:34:52 pm
I haven't seen you around in a while snake, welcome back - and what a great piece to come back with :)  Absolutely amazing

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #82 on: March 11, 2008, 07:33:16 pm
That's awesome, Snake. The only spot I have a problem with is the road in the background. It looks a little out of perspective to me. That could just be my poor skills with perspective, though.  :-[

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #83 on: March 11, 2008, 08:55:51 pm
Looks very nice snake.

17x17 tiles? They look like 16x16 to me which they are and you used that size too. The background seems fine as far as restrictions go, tho I think spritewise this would be flickerhell. Sprites are 8x8 pixels and only have 3 visible colours, and you can only have 8 sprites per scanline at once or you get dropouts as well, so even in your statbar you would have too many sprites :D.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #84 on: March 11, 2008, 11:39:03 pm
Atnas: it is not ignorance that gives you this impression Atnas.

basically it's because this has an horizon which consists of of perspective lines converging in a point, and Snake's mockup obviously doesnt have converging lines, since it is tiled. In the case of snake's mockup this is even more evident because his paralel lines are so close to the horizon and are so vertical, making it quite obvious that they cannot converge at a point so close by.

Snake, what a great idea for a game....what is it a Save-em up :p ? a platformer of sorts? survival horror? IDK but it sounds great.
I can imagine the rush of getting to the next shop to get some batteries while saving all the people in need inbetween, but if all you have to overcome is climbing up and down a broken piece of cement I cant imagine it being much fun.....would you use only traps like crumbling floor or falling rocks? or would the hero have some kind of opposition?

Eitherway, it sounds nifty. You should grab a gamemaker and make it.

Ptoing: what in Snake's statbar would require that many sprites? Color-wise I can only count up to 4-5 necesary sprites in a scanline, So I'm guessing that each 8x8 tile would be counted as a sprite...therefore it I guess it must be a matter of how big his sprites are. Is that the case?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 01:51:46 am by Conceit »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #85 on: March 12, 2008, 01:02:07 am
Haha, Conceit, you need to see the movie. ;)
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #86 on: March 12, 2008, 01:14:12 am
hahahaha....yeah I bet I do    :crazy::blind:

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #87 on: March 12, 2008, 01:45:00 am
Ptoing: what in Snake's statbar would require that many sprites? Color-wise I can only count up to 4-5 necesary sprites in a scanline, So I'm guessing that each 8x8 tile would be counted as a sprite...therefore it I guess it must be a matter of how big his sprites are. Is that the case?

Sprites on the NES are either 8x8 or 8x16. And this means ALL of them, you can not mix those sizes. Either all are 8x8 or all are 8x16. And you can only have 8 per scanline. Also they are always 8x8 or 8x16 even if you only draw a 4x4 pixel bullet in them. I would at least guess that is the case as it is on the C64. And sprites have a fixed allocated size.

Also, look at how many NES games have a sprite hud. Not a whole lot. That enegry thing in megaman is sprites, but it is very thin and also in an area where you don't really would intersect so it does not matter that much, and all the megaman games are flickerfests anyway :D
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #88 on: March 12, 2008, 02:11:48 am
@Ptoing:

Ah, you're right. Paint has this fault where the rectangle tool shows one extra pixel on the measurements. Just forgot to recheck that. Looks like I missread Adam's description too. It said 4 sprite palettes, not colours. I should have assumed one would be transparancy anyway. (that's dyslexia for you...) Could of course redo the sprites in a way that would fit restrictions if that is required (measured the main guy to consist of 20 sprites), but I'd have to rethink it a little for that to work. The size is the biggest issue. I can't shrink them all that much.

@Conceit:

I reckon an exploring game with a partially linnear progression. Sort of like River City Ransom. I'm feeling compelled to make something of this, but I'd have to create my own universe for that. Can't go making games about copyrighted material. Would allow me to play around with the idea a lot more too. I've got a few projects I'm doing now, so I'll just be thinking about it for now.

@Indigo:

Heh, didn't think anyone noticed. I do browse here every now and then, but I couldn't do any crits lately. Guess that's just how it is sometimes.

Offline L___E___T

• -______'''''''_____TRO - P_¬
    • View Profile

Reply #89 on: March 15, 2008, 10:34:42 am
Please PLEASE can we have a one day extension??

I'm nearly finished but I'm away this weekend and can't get access to post anything until Sunday evening GMT!
_¬-¬-¬-¬¬_`--_¬--__¬_-_¬_-____/