AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #7: Cinematendo!  (Read 129816 times)

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: Mockup Frenzy #7: Cinematendo!

Reply #50 on: March 05, 2008, 01:09:34 am
Okay, so, uh, Mice removed his entry of his own will. Can't we just get past this and get along, ya'll? :-[
This threads got an underabundance of mockups considering how many people have posted so far, don't ya' think?
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #51 on: March 05, 2008, 02:03:27 am
The mockup had a cowboyish jolly character jumping around like you'd see in any platformer, some car towards the left...and a random wrench flying at him from nowhere.

Something's gotta be wrong if all of a sudden the most innocent picture of a guy jumping around becomes "offensive" just because the character is from a movie about gay culture. Art will depict stuff we dont like and that is completely fine, it is a form of comment and the fact that an image is depicted doesnt mean it's being enforced or supported, not even if the main character is the perpetrator of said horrible act.

Did you all miss Super Columbine Massacre RPG or something?

what's even worse, that WASNT even the case here!

We all love to act high an mighty by calling what we do ART, pixel-ART. But at the slightest (ACCIDENTAL!) insinuation of touching an actually relevant subject with our work what appears is blatant censorship and "political correctness". No wonder nobody takes the claims of "art" seriously.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 02:08:12 am by Conceit »

Offline cave

• Strawberries! :3
    • View Profile
    • Colocada

Reply #52 on: March 05, 2008, 02:25:10 am
Last off-topic message from me:

@ sharprm & Dusty: Pregnant ladies and babies are not a persecuted minority group.

@ vedsten : Exactly my thoughts. "American History X - Curb Stompin' Mania!" came to my mind when I read your comment :S
I can't believe tough that we still have to resort to drawing parallels between racial and sexual discrimination to make people understand that it IS a big deal. It's 2008, when will people just get it?

Last month in the US, 2 gay youths were killed as a result of hate crimes. 15 year old Lawrence King took three bullets to the back of the head by one of his classmates. 17 year old Simmie Williams Jr. was attacked by two men and then shot. Countless others are harassed and beaten every single day. I won't even get into the global scene, if you want to know just google "gay hanging in Iran". Now what were you saying about pregnant women?

Now on topic: I'm calling dibs on Elvira: Mistress of the Dark.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: March 05, 2008, 02:27:03 am
I'll just take this to the off-topic thread.

Offline L___E___T

• -______'''''''_____TRO - P_¬
    • View Profile

Reply #54 on: March 05, 2008, 11:28:26 am
Cave you're acting like a gay rights activist on prozac.

This is a pixel art forum, anyone who got offended by the mockup to be honest has other issues to go deal with rather than bring all these morals and motives into a forum like this.  Just because I gather the film had a bit of gay bashing in, doesn't mean a mockup is of a gay bashing game.  A woman was shot in the head multiple times in the Terminator film, but it doesn't mean that's what the NES game is about.

I'm surprised Helm or Adam haven't stepped in and given you a big wet slap for being so politically correct.
Please appreciate some light hearted parody.
I live in the UK and have enough PC overload to deal with on a day to day basis.  It would be sad if it invaded forums too, especially ones of this calibre.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 04:13:40 pm by L___E___T »
_¬-¬-¬-¬¬_`--_¬--__¬_-_¬_-____/

Offline boojiboy

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: March 05, 2008, 11:51:30 am
Damn I was gonna do Big trouble in Little China too.

Exactly my thoughts. "American History X - Curb Stompin' Mania!" came to my mind when I read your comment

That's a bad comparison.
Mice's game didn't have a gay basher as the hero going around beating up gay men, the gay man WAS the hero!
I have no problem at all with a game where you have to avoid being killed by Nazis. In fact, there's heaps of those.

The movie is a work of fiction! That wasn't a gay man getting beaten up, it was an ACTOR PRETENDING to get beaten up.
Let it go, I hope Mice puts it back up.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 02:02:04 pm by boojiboy »

Offline infinity+1

• the real deal
    • View Profile

Reply #56 on: March 05, 2008, 04:16:01 pm
who knew something as innocent and fun as a mock up frenzy would turn into a ridiculous argument over political correctness.
if you don't like his mock up, don't look at it. there are obviously a good number of people who don't have the slightest problem with it.

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #57 on: March 06, 2008, 01:42:21 am
La cite des enfants perdus (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112682/)

Resemblance with movie went out the window trying to make it look good.
Should comply with all restictions. 1 BG palette 4 sprite palettes
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 01:44:45 am by vedsten »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #58 on: March 06, 2008, 03:23:55 am
vedsten that's pretty badass so far :D  would love to see those other 3 bg palettes get used, a hallmark of jeunet's films is his varied color, especially yellows, greens, and reds...

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: March 06, 2008, 05:17:30 am
Okay, so I haven't seen the movie in a good year or so, but yes, the palette was very important to the style of movie. Wasn't almost everything greyish red and yellow, as Adam said? And Ron Perlman had red hair in the movie if I remember correctly?
Beyond the discrepancies, it looks great though :crazy:.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)