AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #7: Cinematendo!  (Read 129824 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Mockup Frenzy #7: Cinematendo!

on: February 28, 2008, 12:00:24 am
Mockup Frenzy #7: Cinematendo!

Colors & Resolution:

Theme: NES Games Based On Movies
Start Day: February 27th, 2008
Deadline: March 15th, 2008
Notes:  Mockup Frenzy returns!  Sorry for all the delays, it was a crazy couple of months.  I hope you all stored up some serious mockup-making energy!!  The NES had perhaps the finest film-licensed games of all time, including Batman, The Terminator, The Goonies, Fist of the North Star, and (stretching here) TV shows like The Addams Family and Darkwing Duck:

Your mission is to create your own NES mockup of a game based on a movie.  If you're dying to do a TV show instead...that's ok too.  As usual, the color restrictions here are a little wonky, feel free to stretch them a little if it means creating a piece of art you're really happy with!  Just make sure you work at the right resolution :)

Is this your first Mockup Frenzy?  Why not check out the rules & results from Mockup Frenzy #1: Mobility!, Mockup Frenzy #2: Ninjas!, Mockup Frenzy #3: GB Demakes!, Mockup Frenzy #4: Invasion!, and Mockup Frenzy #5: Horrorween!, and Mockup Frenzy #6: Musical Inspiration!

RESULTS:

Ben2theEdge, infinity+1, johnnyspade:

johnnyspade, L___E___T, L___E___T:

L___E___T, Lackey, schu:

schu, snake, Teknogames:

vedsten, xenobond:

Sorry for the INSANELY LATE COLLATING AND UPLOADING!  Happy holidays, pixelators  :D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 06:26:47 am by Kiana »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Mockup Frenzy #7: Cinematendo!

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 12:23:13 am
Oh man, I loved Goonies II on the NES, and I loved the NES itself... I'm definitely going to have to try my hand at this challenge.

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 01:43:13 am
Finally! I love mock-Ups.(They're my favey.):crazy:
Definitely joinin' this one.
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 02:40:13 am
this will be fun, I think I know what movie I'll do...

and no parallax? a fair number of NES games had parallax, I guess it was all custom coded then? (not that it matters much since we're just making mockups, but still)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 02:49:33 am
Thanks! For both a new activity, and for one with such personal synchronicity...This speaks to my soul....especially considering what I've been doing art-wise the last couple of weeks  :0'
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 06:30:24 am

and no parallax? a fair number of NES games had parallax, I guess it was all custom coded then? (not that it matters much since we're just making mockups, but still)

Heh...parallax on the NES was a bit of a trick.  There were at least 3 valid approaches that I know of, none of which are what we would consider "real" parallax:

1 - Use this special bit that could signal when you'd finished one particular raster line...this is how games like castlevania kept the HUD in one place while the level scrolled.  Basically, the first X lines can scroll at one rate, and the rest can scroll at another.

2 - Keep the background relatively blank, set sprite priority to be behind the level.  Then you can have sprite clouds zip by at varying speeds.  However, you can not have any real background tiles, just the main background color, otherwise your main character will be drawn behind the tiles as well!

3 - Build the level out of sprites, and scroll the entire background plane.  However, the sprite limits (8 sprites per raster line before flickering kicks in) are such that this is only applicable in VERY special cases...

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 06:45:11 am

Shatterhand was my favorite game growing up. Collect three betas and you got the grenade throwing robot.

I'm torn between making Say Anything a game or doing that other 80s classic Dreamscape. After all, you can do anything in dreams.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 06:54:39 am

Heh...parallax on the NES was a bit of a trick.  There were at least 3 valid approaches that I know of, none of which are what we would consider "real" parallax:

1 - Use this special bit that could signal when you'd finished one particular raster line...this is how games like castlevania kept the HUD in one place while the level scrolled.  Basically, the first X lines can scroll at one rate, and the rest can scroll at another.

2 - Keep the background relatively blank, set sprite priority to be behind the level.  Then you can have sprite clouds zip by at varying speeds.  However, you can not have any real background tiles, just the main background color, otherwise your main character will be drawn behind the tiles as well!

3 - Build the level out of sprites, and scroll the entire background plane.  However, the sprite limits (8 sprites per raster line before flickering kicks in) are such that this is only applicable in VERY special cases...
just curious, how did metal storm pull it off:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GED_RatIpwU
etc

?
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 11:16:01 am
just curious, how did metal storm pull it off:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GED_RatIpwU

I have never done any NES coding, but the scrolling of NES metal storm looks like an old C64 trick which should work on NES too:

4 - You use a block of background-tiles - e.g. 4x4 tiles (total of 16) and rotate the content of the tiles themself (the pixel-bits) anytime they should scroll. Then you can put this 4x4-tileblock everywhere you want to have the parallax-effect. It does only work for small repeating areas as this eats up very much background tiles that cannot be used for other stuff.
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 12:46:58 pm
Yeh deffo, the actual tiles are scrolling. One of the oldest tricks in the book really :D
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.