AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #3: Game Boy De-Makes!  (Read 429350 times)

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Re: Mockup Frenzy #3: Game Boy De-Makes!

Reply #130 on: September 28, 2007, 11:39:33 am
It's actually 3D I believe, because it supported 3Dfx cards. So I guess it had some polygons in it for the buildings.
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #131 on: September 28, 2007, 02:29:22 pm
Without going off topic, the actual technique that was employed on GTA when it first cam out all thos years ago... was the same principle that was used in Id's Wolfenstein and ulltimatley DOOM... strictly speaking it's NOT 3D as we know it today... it was indeed (contrary to what robotriot suggesting and agreeing with Locust's initial observation) a scaling technique and NOT polygons... this is why in DOOM, WOLFENSTEIN & GTA and other games of it's Ilk - you never got circumstances where the levels crossed over themselves forming sections UNDERNEATH or OVER other sections... think back to playing DOOM, there's never any instances of a corridor cutting across or going over another... all the levels were projections vertical - this was a limitation of the technique... a technique also used on the GBA in ECKS vs SEVER and some other FPS games...  it was only when games like DESCENT and QUAKE came out that the polygon finally reared it's head in this genre... and hence the reason why in DOOM you could enter a room a 100 imps and 6 cacodemons could come at you whereas in quake you entered a room and... you got attacked by 2 baddies if you were lucky... point being sprite scaling techniques were infintely faster (and more detailed) than anything 3d could do at the time... in fact it's only JUST catching up now... if only they(we) had stuck to sprites, bitmap and voxel solutions instead of Polygonal...

enough ranting...

here's my .02$ worth of Demake...

Please enjoy my cynical ironic take on HALO 3 - I mean honestly... (an I mean this most seriously - nothings really changed that much in the great scheme of things... [ooo contravertial])

:hehe: >:D :noob:

i've got another cynical demake up my sleeve too... (If I can be bothered getting round to it...)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 02:32:47 pm by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Reply #132 on: September 28, 2007, 09:16:30 pm
Descent! I loved Descent and its sequels!

Just had to say that.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #133 on: September 28, 2007, 09:54:54 pm
yes it was good... we used to have a few VR helmets at the office and used to play it on those... that was quite a strange experience... *

I wonder whatever happened to the VR revolution - surely it's ripe for a comeback?**

*again not wanting to derail this topic
** I mean seriously...

sorry... but I just had to say that...  :lala:
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com

Reply #134 on: September 28, 2007, 11:44:25 pm
made it tonight, interesting chalenge !! it's fun to make a mockup with cheap limitations.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 11:46:07 pm by MaDsk8tard »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #135 on: September 29, 2007, 01:19:41 am
great job so far everybody!  Just a reminder, I'm going to gather up the heaps and piles of badass submissions on Sunday night, and then launch the new activity.  So get your mockups in while you can!!

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #136 on: September 29, 2007, 07:17:26 am
So just to make sure we have all of Sunday too, yes? Hopefully I will find the time to finish my second entry fingers crossed.

Jason.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #137 on: September 29, 2007, 03:02:23 pm
most of sunday, probably!  The rules for MF#1 are pretty clear that if you want to be SURE your entry is collected, you should try to have it done a day early, just to be safe.  But if it turns out all sexy like your Cave Story one, I might roll it into the first post on monday morning anyways ;)

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #138 on: September 29, 2007, 03:57:25 pm
Thanks for the kind words :) I`ll do my best.

Jason.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #139 on: September 29, 2007, 06:11:19 pm

I started working on another one, but couldn't get it to look the way I wanted, and didn't really want to make another side view platformer mockup. Not to mention the player sprite is huge. I had some trouble getting Dan to look tall and lanky enough. Still needs a background, zombies or something and a health meter.

Played around with this one some more instead.