AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #3: Game Boy De-Makes!  (Read 429360 times)

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Re: Mockup Frenzy #3: Game Boy De-Makes!

Reply #80 on: September 24, 2007, 12:37:22 am
Here's my WIP.

I'm pretty sure this is already completely over the limit for number of unique tiles Game Boy could handle, but oh well. Trying to give the impression of snow covered ground. Not sure how well it's working.

QuickSilva
Like the character sprites, and the wavy background effect is cool. Maybe you can mix the small blocks in with the large ones to add some interest to the platforms.

Opacus
Really great job. The enemy ships could do with a reduction in smoothness. Put whites next to blacks in places to make the geometric forms pop more. Also, lose a color in the sprites if you want them to match the spec. Game Boy can only display 4 colors, and in sprites one of those colors is needed for transparency.

mattness
Good start. Since you're using a dark floor, you should be able to get away with using white for the skeleton's limbs instead of black.

Arne
I love the background. I can't decide if adding more dithering and texture would help or hurt the piece. You could do so fun stuff with dramatic, gloomy lighting and the like.

KAT
The furniture is not as visible in your version. Maybe use black dithered with dark gray to bring out the items and hand/pointer. You'll notice the artist did just that in the original version.

vpk
That has a nice industrial sci-fi feel to it. I'm not sure if that would be possible on the Game Boy hardware, but it's a cool idea.

Arachne
Excellent job! Not much I can see that needs improving. Funny enough, I just downloaded a speed run of that game last week.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 12:39:59 am by pkmays »

Offline Greenwing

• View Profile

Reply #81 on: September 24, 2007, 12:59:36 am

I am not sure at all if i broke any rules but i had loads of fun doing this way past bedtime.
I really enjoy yellow.

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Reply #82 on: September 24, 2007, 01:19:48 am

I am not sure at all if i broke any rules but i had loads of fun doing this way past bedtime.
...STAARRRCRRRAAFFTT
i like it but i think you shoul add a bit more detail to the ground, some lights from the comand center, and just add little details here and there. you got the games look perfectly, imo ^^

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #83 on: September 24, 2007, 06:27:14 am
Ah right pkmays. Little update:
   More exiting colours?
The ships would remain in the black and the tanks on land of course. Dunno if that's a viable option for the gameboy programming wise though.
Edit: Whoo, forgot the  "being shot" ship :D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 06:29:42 am by Opacus »

Offline D.W.

• View Profile

Reply #84 on: September 24, 2007, 06:39:23 am
Outback hunter IV : Crikey Edition

« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 06:43:10 am by D.W. »

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #85 on: September 24, 2007, 06:42:14 am
Outback hunter IV : Crikey Edition

I don't see the image :(
I do see http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/Tetsuwan/OutbackHunterIV.jpg
File not found :\
(Save as gif so Photobucket doesn't convert it to jpg!)

Offline D.W.

• View Profile

Reply #86 on: September 24, 2007, 06:44:07 am
There we go, I use imageshack I apologize I didn't want to break any rules.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #87 on: September 24, 2007, 06:56:59 am
There we go, I use imageshack I apologize I didn't want to break any rules.
No rules broken mate :D
JPG's are just bad for pixel art, and how should you have known that Photobucket converts (bmp's I think?) to jpg's?
The art work is pretty neat. The crosshair's outer circle seems to be a bit off center though.
Perhaps cut a bit down on the dithering on the mountains, and especially the clouds. And maybe you should highlight the "Kills" number a bit so that it is easier to see?

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Reply #88 on: September 24, 2007, 06:59:24 am
   More exiting colours?
The ships would remain in the black and the tanks on land of course. Dunno if that's a viable option for the gameboy programming wise though.

it all looks good but to me there are serious readability issues...mainly the ship that (i think thats what it is) you control.. i cant tell if its a laser firing at another ship, if its one big weird ship...or what.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #89 on: September 24, 2007, 07:07:33 am
   More exiting colours?

it all looks good but to me there are serious readability issues...mainly the ship that (i think thats what it is) you control.. i cant tell if its a laser firing at another ship, if its one big weird ship...or what.
Laser yes :D
Well, it's a bit the same thing as with the real game. If you look at Dodonpachi screens you're like, what the fuck? But when you play it it all comes together, and it rarely happens you get readability issues then.