AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #3: Game Boy De-Makes!  (Read 429357 times)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: Mockup Frenzy #3: Game Boy De-Makes!

Reply #140 on: September 29, 2007, 11:51:05 pm

--EDIT: got the colors down with math magic, and made a more plausible palette version.
My anatomy is probably very poor....

Yeah, breaks a lot of rules...would probably need a rag doll engine of sorts to look decent when stomping and stuff...and I don't think the foreground telephone lines would be feasible on Gameboy either.  :ouch:

This was very fun...can't wait for the next one.  Nice entries everybody!  ;) :y:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 03:34:25 am by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Schu

• The front is a lemon avenue flying straightly
    • View Profile
    • Eyegore-net

Reply #141 on: September 30, 2007, 01:36:40 am
Woo! God Hand! You're my hero.

Here's mine. Too tired to make anything more exciting (as you can tell from the lame dialogue I shoved in). The return of 2D sidescrolling Zelda!

(Yea, Link didn't get his Hero Clothes yet, but somehow can call Midna...)
------
Schu

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #142 on: September 30, 2007, 02:50:39 am
2D sequence breaking :yay:

looks great schu
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Mystery

• Making Games
    • View Profile
    • FloppyTapeGames

Reply #143 on: September 30, 2007, 05:46:53 am
Without going off topic, the actual technique that was employed on GTA when it first cam out all thos years ago... was the same principle that was used in Id's Wolfenstein and ulltimatley DOOM... strictly speaking it's NOT 3D as we know it today... it was indeed (contrary to what robotriot suggesting and agreeing with Locust's initial observation) a scaling technique and NOT polygons... this is why in DOOM, WOLFENSTEIN & GTA and other games of it's Ilk - you never got circumstances where the levels crossed over themselves forming sections UNDERNEATH or OVER other sections... think back to playing DOOM, there's never any instances of a corridor cutting across or going over another... all the levels were projections vertical - this was a limitation of the technique... a technique also used on the GBA in ECKS vs SEVER and some other FPS games...
Just to throw in some more info on this:
The technique is called "raycasting" and while you're basically correct about its limitations, later engines like the 3D-Realms "Build" engine used for Duke3D, Shadow Warrior etc., allowed crossing level sections on different heights.

Sorry to interrupt this great Mockup Frenzy ;)
::42::

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #144 on: September 30, 2007, 08:58:57 am
Schu, that's wondefull.

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #145 on: September 30, 2007, 12:57:44 pm
Here`s my latest effort. Background could have done with a little more work\depth, especially the mountain, but I kinda ran out of time and just wanted to make sure I got in before the deadline. Came out pretty good otherwise I think.

I really enjoyed doing these though, it was nice to finally find the time to join in to one of these Mockup Frenzies. Hopefully this will be my first of many. :)

Jason.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 06:01:33 pm by QuickSilva »

Offline Bouzolf

• I'm a Quebecer, i like pink and I'm 14 years old.
    • View Profile
    • My PJ Galery

Reply #146 on: September 30, 2007, 03:41:10 pm
Didn't have time to finish it (the zombie is really rought):

Guess what game it is!
My English is poor, sorry about that..

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile

Reply #147 on: September 30, 2007, 04:08:53 pm
:p resident evil 4 my all-time-favourite!

btw i might be working on some far cry, hl2 or doom3 for this challenge. maybe oO

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #148 on: October 02, 2007, 06:56:27 pm
Without going off topic, the actual technique that was employed on GTA when it first cam out all thos years ago... was the same principle that was used in Id's Wolfenstein and ulltimatley DOOM... strictly speaking it's NOT 3D as we know it today... it was indeed (contrary to what robotriot suggesting and agreeing with Locust's initial observation) a scaling technique and NOT polygons... this is why in DOOM, WOLFENSTEIN & GTA and other games of it's Ilk - you never got circumstances where the levels crossed over themselves forming sections UNDERNEATH or OVER other sections... think back to playing DOOM, there's never any instances of a corridor cutting across or going over another... all the levels were projections vertical - this was a limitation of the technique... a technique also used on the GBA in ECKS vs SEVER and some other FPS games...
Just to throw in some more info on this:
The technique is called "raycasting" and while you're basically correct about its limitations, later engines like the 3D-Realms "Build" engine used for Duke3D, Shadow Warrior etc., allowed crossing level sections on different heights.

Sorry to interrupt this great Mockup Frenzy ;)

The 3D-Realms engine didn't truly support multiple level sections on top of each other. It only seemed that way because it had a portal system. If you entered a "layered" section, you'd actually be teleported to a different section on the map. The map itself was still laid out in a flat way, just like in Doom.

Offline Judas

• Merciless
    • View Profile

Reply #149 on: October 02, 2007, 07:10:00 pm

That was my second choice after Phantom Dust. Glad to see someone did a God Hand mockup. Background is pretty great, and the character sprites make me quite happy. Nice work, sir.