AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 811499 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #740 on: October 01, 2008, 04:16:41 pm
I don't think you will learn much from doing a copy of a Picasso piece (unless you copy some of his older work which was realistic).

I would suggest copying some earlier Masters, like Rembrandt, Vermeer, Pieter Bruegel the Elder, Albrecht Dürer, Da Vinci, Michelangelo.
That kinda stuff. That and real life studies, draw what you see.

Making a copy of stuff like Picasso can be good at a later stage, but only if you not just copy it, but THINK about why he did stuff how he did it. Like composition, colours and whatnot.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #741 on: October 01, 2008, 09:49:47 pm
I don't think you will learn much from doing a copy of a Picasso piece (unless you copy some of his older work which was realistic).

I would suggest copying some earlier Masters, like Rembrandt, Vermeer, Pieter Bruegel the Elder, Albrecht Dürer, Da Vinci, Michelangelo.
That kinda stuff. That and real life studies, draw what you see.

Making a copy of stuff like Picasso can be good at a later stage, but only if you not just copy it, but THINK about why he did stuff how he did it. Like composition, colours and whatnot.

As was already pointed out, the excercise is a rudimentary one where you turn it upside down (to decrease instant recognizability and activate the "look-at-lines-on-paper-instead-of-facial-features") and scetch the lines, to activate your right-brain-mode where you refrain from drawing the easiest symbolic representation of things. This excercise is good for an understanding of volumes in 2d, if you activate that state later on in real-life studies, it will help the brain with volumetric understanding in 3d as well. Anyways, I think it's a good excercise to do both normal and upside down to kind of see how far you've come in your conquering of symbolic representation.

(anyways, symbolic representation can be a good thing as well, if you get to know your own symbols, you can utilize them for lazy quick drawing, like for example comics and stuff. Or to know what makes something easily recognizable, like for example in pixel art)
' _ '

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #742 on: October 02, 2008, 01:38:46 am

ten minute sketch of this dude in naples that stared at me for about an hour while i tried to sleep.  ink on unprepared masonite...yeah.  had to photograph it for class so i figured it may as well go here :P.

nose is lawl but you can't change ink on masonite, so once that first swoop in the center was down i had to live with it even though it was the wrong shape :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #743 on: October 03, 2008, 01:37:55 pm
Made this thing for work:

(the big grey X is our logo and they love the 'X' gimmick, couldn't be green for obvious reasons :P)

The owners liked the idea and they want to have me doing the odd design for them when they come up with new promotions.
But they just want "a few small changes;" change it to "Team Reviews" because they're worried customers will blow the whistle on shitty movies, so then I can't really call it "Xpress yourself" since none of the customers will be expressing themselves...
And they also want it about 5 times as wide [edit] and about 2 thirds shorter [/edit]:huh:

I think I'll cut out the thoughts part so the composition isn't completely retarded, and since no one will be allowed to give their honest opinion it's kinda worthless.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 02:29:51 pm by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #744 on: October 03, 2008, 01:55:42 pm
ndchristie: That looks neat! What's the size of the original? Was that Naples of Italy or Florida?

.TakaM: If it's gonna be 5 times as wide then the length of a random sentence to be fitted in could be ridiculously long anyway.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 02:23:13 pm by JJ Naas »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #745 on: October 03, 2008, 06:32:41 pm
Damn, that X is one crappy logo :ouch: Not your fault I guess.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #746 on: October 03, 2008, 11:13:14 pm
Kinda too big to [img]:
http://lorne.lastchancemedia.com/Images/two/Sketchbook/5-Heyds.jpg
Dunno if I shoulda put it in the anatomy thread, since it's rather cartoony. :-\
Also, x's indicate shit I don't like.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #747 on: October 03, 2008, 11:36:45 pm
Damn, that X is one crappy logo :ouch: Not your fault I guess.
Yeah, don't know how much they paid whoever to design it, but they definitely paid too much.
Took me about 5 minutes to make a hi res version in photoshop, just a bunch of filters  :-X
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #748 on: October 04, 2008, 12:05:47 am
http://lorne.lastchancemedia.com/Images/two/Sketchbook/5-Heyds.jpg

I love the exaggeration where you chose to use it. The one head rotated 90 degrees is great.

Offline Stefano

• 10 different types of soup
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile

Reply #749 on: October 10, 2008, 08:29:53 pm
Interpretation of a character called Granny Rurbuncle, for an online competition:
Granny Rurbuncle runs the orphanage. She’s somewhere between 65 and 95 years old, and is an orphan herself. She’s lived in the orphanage for all her life. While she complains about the pain in her back quite often, she can move in a way you wouldn’t expect from a lady of her age. Nevertheless, when she walks she intensively uses her cane (not just for walking by the way). She normally wears a coat and hat, that were donated by the mayor’s wife (fifteen or so years ago; it’s worn out nowadays).