AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 811754 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #680 on: August 31, 2008, 06:10:06 am
Helm, something is totally weird in her neckular/faceish area. I think it's 'cause her chin goes too steeply upwards into her neck, see? like, it makes her neck look too long and her head too small or something, see?

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #681 on: August 31, 2008, 07:02:08 am
Is it just me, or is her left thigh much much bigger then her right one? :P
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile

Reply #682 on: August 31, 2008, 10:14:27 am
Was bored last night.

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #683 on: August 31, 2008, 06:48:30 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, Helm, but isn't her right buttcheek entirely imaginary at the moment? It kind of juts out to the right and doesn't look like it's connected to the rest of her all that well. My eyes are also telling me that her shin is too short, but I can't say that with too much conviction, as I'm having a hard time believing my eyes.

Still very cool. Love that it looks like she's in mid hair-toss before a primal scream :D

Lackey, if you used the checkmark and X as eyes instead of the square and circle and removed the pentagon and chains, it'd make a pretty damn cool T-shirt.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #684 on: August 31, 2008, 11:01:13 pm
Helm, something is totally weird in her neckular/faceish area. I think it's 'cause her chin goes too steeply upwards into her neck, see? like, it makes her neck look too long and her head too small or something, see?

Hm, not really.

Sherman, are you taking foreshortening into account? I'm all for nitpicks but keep in mind that anatomy crits for me are useful most if they break the flow when you look at the piece.

Willows: I don't think so! There's women with a wider pelvis than the beauty norm has it. Shin is definitely not too short though as it's a head and a half long in the ideal construction.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #685 on: September 01, 2008, 02:32:50 am
I'm gonna have to agree with Willows on the butt cheek. Its not so much the width as how low it looks. It doesn't look like its attached to the pelvis at all. I also agree with xion on the length of the neck. it may be due to how the line straightens out and remains straight for so long... or it may just be a long neck. It'd be cool to have the same amp shape implied on the left side of the frame as is implied on the right side... that's all i got for now.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #686 on: September 01, 2008, 04:14:17 am
@ helm:
Yea it looks to me as if her shin is too short and her face is too small. Composition wise for the image i think the left side of the picture is way to heavy and needs something to even it out on the right, either the girl moved over or possibly the amp?

Looks pretty badass though, any ideas what bands will be on it yet? Warlock? Sinergy mayhaps?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #687 on: September 01, 2008, 07:14:28 am
hm, Hellion, Original Sin, Crystal Pride, Chastain, Vixen, Y Diawled and so on. I'm afraid we're going a bit more obscureschool than Warlock or Sinergy :P

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #688 on: September 02, 2008, 12:21:29 pm

A few month ago, I was in a 1-year school of art where I attended a comic course. The goal was to make a whole story and afterwards produce at least three finished pages. It started as a story inspired by Winsor McCay. You see a boy sleeping in his bed. Later a goblin from a movie/fantasy-poster comes alive and leaves it's flat existence to take the boy into adventures. This journey begins with that the legs of the bed grows (by saw them off!?!) and the bed's breaking through the roof, where other goblins comes and transform it into a car. But then the troubles just begins...
I think the most interesting was I learned was how you could handle time. First my whole story was told in three pages. The viewpoint was always constant and the elapsed time from panel to panel was rather big. My teacher challenged my to put more personality and character into the story by using more dynamic perspectives and character close-ups. Since I didn't do any reseaches the characters and environment are pretty uninspired boring and sometimes even wrong. But the new approach had lead to a different speed. Now on three pages I could only display how the goblin comes out of his poster, whereas in the other style I told a whole story i three pages! Very interesting for me. But to be honest, I like the old approach (McCay's) for this kind of story more, because it's more about the adventure itself and not about the character feelings (which I had no idea how to express).

About the technique. First I wanted to do it completely digital, but my digital line quality is completely for the arse, thus I wanted to draw it analog and then color it digitaly (Studio Ghibli style). But two weeks before deadline (when I just had scribbles and not even begun final penciling) my Laptop died so I went for a classic black&white approach. I think it's very interesting how you could descripe volumes just with two values and I thought back then I did a fairly good job. But seeing it now I have the feeling it could be pushed much more... and the lineweight is just ugly thin.

Nevertheless a good experience.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #689 on: September 02, 2008, 07:45:04 pm
Do you want comic art critique for these?