AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 811399 times)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #560 on: June 23, 2008, 10:12:51 am
(...or I think the light and eye should be switched)

More or less. I thought it looked more round, I suppose I should work on it.  ^-^

Thank you  ;D

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #561 on: June 23, 2008, 01:24:18 pm
huZba sure go ahead with the critique. the lack of perspective is intentional as these are idealized limbospace pieces that will be used to make a wraparound cover.

Sherman, I don't see the wrong wrap, personally!

Arachne, thanks for the edit! I will consider.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #562 on: June 23, 2008, 01:29:05 pm
Helm I'm diggin these characters. The Salaryman is posed a little weird though. His right (our left) wrist is bent in a very peculiar position, like it's broken... I tried to make the same pose and my wrist really started hurting before I got an angle even close to what you have there. I think you need to either twist the hand clock-wise toward the camera or twist the entire forearm counter-clockwise and turn the hand to be more parallel to the ground.

I made an example - my strength is more in animation than anatomy so don't cringe at his mickey mouse hands ;)

I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #563 on: June 23, 2008, 04:33:19 pm
Lots and lots and lots of wierd stuff going on with that dude, Helm. The biggest thing to stick out, for me, is his ridiculously short forearms.

Ehh, I'll be specific.

Head is awesome, face is awesome, shirt and shoulders work, and the overall character is damn clear.

His left forearm is far too skinny (a bent arm would bulge at the elbow) and, as I mentioned, far too short compared to the other half of the arm and his hand. Also, the watch (or whatever it is) on that arm should defiinitely break the line of the arm to show its volume.

His right forearm is also too short, which leads me to believe it was more artistic choice than innocent mistake (Helm does not make mistakes! ever!  :mean:) in which case I entirely disagree with your artistic choice, because it's distracting as fuck :D. His right hand feels massive, and aside from the impossible angle that ben mentioned, I really think it'd benefit from overlapping the other arm, to show its position in space.

Still on his right arm, just took another look and realised there's some confusion of depth. Right shoulder is behind the chest (obviously) and seems to be slanting further back in space based on how the sleeve itself is hanging forward and doesn't appear to be contacting the bicep. The elbow, however, is suggesting that the upper arm is actually slanting forward... somehow? I can't figure it out, but if I cover up the shoulder I can only see that arm slanting forward in space toward the elbow.

Hopefully someone understood that. Moving on!

His shorts seem a little stiff, and I'm not positive what they're made of, but I love the fact that it looks like he could just soil himself at any moment.

His right leg is great, except for the calf seeming a bit small and the discrepency in the boots, which is to say that his left foot's boot seems to have a wider opening than the right.

His left leg is also great, except for the whole impossible relation between the foot and the knee. The foot is turned more than 45 degrees from the knee, which.... well, try it. Ow.

That's it for the guy! As for the girl...

...love it. I greatly look forward to seeing the rest of these :D

(P.S. love the legs on that bot, Xion!)

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #564 on: June 23, 2008, 06:01:24 pm
Ben and Willows got down what i was thinking about the guy.

The girl has upper arms made of bone alone and the shoulder/armpit area looks really dodgy. Could use some curves.
The area from the waist to the knees seems undefined and disconnected from the upper body. It's not that glaring though. I'd go with sherman's suggestion.
Splatter on the shirt looks like a decal applied on top of the picture and very flat, doesn't follow the shapes of the body. Has some long continous vertical lines. Similar stuff on the face.

Then there's the gun. Check some references http://youtube.com/watch?v=U1NhsxG37E8&feature=related
It looks kinda big too. Is there some particular you're trying to make or is it "just a gun"? Should always get them guns right.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #565 on: June 23, 2008, 10:24:55 pm
Thank you all for critique. I shall amend the pieces with all (omg!) your points (besides forcing a perspective unto them, I hope it's clear why I don't) and repost soon. High-class, really quality critique. As always. BTW, I will quote your posts in the anatomy thread where I will post the new versions too, this is the sort of thing that should go there.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #566 on: June 24, 2008, 01:35:10 pm
I was digging through some old stuff and found pages from a comic I never finished... surprise!

I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #567 on: June 24, 2008, 03:23:10 pm
Ben that's really cool. I see elements of so many scifi publications in it. It's cliche which adds a great touch!  :y:

oh wait or does it need highlights to make it POPN? http://www.lolipopsicle.com/linky/likelikehi.jpg

er how is it :sry: the top segment is by far the best, which I did yesterday. Then I came back this morning and somehow all my tool presets had reset, and I forgot how I colored it the day before because this painting thing is so new.

first attempt at rendering something that isn't a blob or block, and that has some sort of texture

I need to flatten and refine it, but I'm quite bored with him atm.

MAYBE I'LL DO FRUIT NEXT

EDIT:  :D PUPPY
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 03:51:56 pm by Atnas »

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com

Reply #568 on: June 24, 2008, 10:35:13 pm
@ben : very great style on your comic !

some of you saw the last mockup that I did :

I made the main character in 3D low poly format, Enjoy !

tris : 164, texture : 64*64

more to come and a big big news from it ;)

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #569 on: June 25, 2008, 06:42:25 pm
Ben: I really like the style of your comic. A Bryan O'Malley -influence can be spotted, but you've still got clearly a style of your own. (Oh, and Faith Hicks could also be an influence?) Awesome stuff.