AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 817072 times)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #1400 on: April 19, 2011, 03:54:26 pm
@trough: Close. It's a relief print, but with sintra (pvc foam board) rather than wood. Images are probably about three feet tall btw, for my big relief class.

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Reply #1401 on: April 21, 2011, 04:25:51 am
@trough: Close. It's a relief print, but with sintra (pvc foam board) rather than wood. Images are probably about three feet tall btw, for my big relief class.
Finishing those must have been a big relief huh?
Ok I'm gonna shoot myself in the foot now.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1402 on: May 02, 2011, 04:47:49 pm
Cure, congrats on finding a concept you can squeeze enough inspiration and mileage out of for multiple pieces! That's a Beautiful thing. Way to go me bromey. Keep up the interesting work.

Meet my wealthy, 17yr old victorian girl from circa 1850; current task. Intended for a painterly style. Digital. Most likely all Photoshop.
Meant as a lamentful scene, muted colors, somber vibes, focus to be on the rose. Bg is will just be a murky non-descript rainy generic wash of a landscape.
Purpose = book cover, targeting younger teens.

I'm skeered. Got that failure-is-imminent feeling in my stomach. I routinely overestimate my skills at the outset of a project, usually to be reminded of harsh, un-loving reality in the end. But, with extremely little experience handling paint-style and even anatomy, what should I esspect?

Can't help but be reminded of Ryumaru's work posted here; those nice traditionals. Reaching out to immediate peers feels more in-reach than does attaining to the good ol' masters, but I would love nothing more.
For that matter I'd love to leave the graphic design arena and get into more of a fine-art related one. The commercial world empire can kiss it, really.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #1403 on: May 03, 2011, 04:14:37 pm
She doesn't look 17 -years old. The cheekbones, the fully developed hips, the wide shoulders..

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #1404 on: May 03, 2011, 07:43:23 pm
Thanks, JJ!

The project is due in a mere 5 days and it's kicking my butt, so I think I'll

-make my first ever Low-spec thread-

and get yer guys' comments if anyone cares to.

It'll be one of those rapid progress WIP threads. Those are fun to watch. Painful for me, but fun for others  heh.

Offline youcrumb

• View Profile

Reply #1405 on: May 14, 2011, 06:06:37 am
brief introduction, i used to be on pixelation a whole lot years ago, as infinity+1. the site was great, the people were great, so i wanted to come back, but i haven't done very much pixel art. however, i've been doing a whole lot of other art. in fact, i wanted to jump right and and get some thoughts about the first page of a new comic i'm working on.
if this place is anything like it used to be, the masters will come down on me for having sloppy values and junk. but that's one of the things i love about this place.

gettin' to it:

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:09:49 am by youcrumb »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1406 on: May 14, 2011, 02:13:43 pm
Hi. I am a comic artist as well. I don't think your values are junk at all, they're great. This is a very nice page. The only critique I have is this:

Shouldn't the person in the first panel throw off some shadow? It would help the viewer understand where the light is coming from too, which is useful dramatically.

Also:

When you don't draw the panel borders, this gives the page a more loose flow, more open-ended causal chains, like in a dream-state or a flashback. You know, a drowsy kind of narration. I would suggest drawing the panel borders if not for both panels, at least for the second one where we see the danger and tension comes in, so the two panels can work like some sort of fade in and anchoring of the scene.

Welcome back to Pixelation, I remember you. Hope you enjoy your stay and learn and help others to learn.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #1407 on: May 14, 2011, 09:21:12 pm

Oh yeah, infinity+1, I remember. Hey hey.

Looks like a scan of a traditional ink shaded with watercolor, am I right? If not, the effort put into the illusion is successful.

I like this a lot. Love the attention to detail in the environment.
But yeah actually, things do look a bit flat due to the reckless use of shadow/highlight.
For example - the bottom-right foreground tree. Darken it. It draws the eye like everything else does. Inline with your comic shading style you're not using smooth gradation, but indication of a round form is still possible since you seem to be using about 6 main shades of grey.

I seriously missed that there's an earth gollum creature rising from the pond in second panel until I came back to looked at this a second time. Probably due to the very issue cited above. I started to notice the drippy shapes thinking what the heck is that, that's a pretty strange log/boulder, then finally noticed the face and other hand's fingers peeking out of from the surface.

Where is "TALISMAN" coming from? Did the standing figure shout it? Is it the comic's title?

No, this looks rather WIP, but with a little enhanced lighting and some splashes of color things could get really good, quickly.

*EDIT    Here's a little ink-on-paper action of my own. A buddy's 9 year old daughter loves to color. I used our inside joke, the cheegah, a three-legged cheetah as the subject, to create some original drawings for her to color. 5 printer paper-sized pages, used sharpie with a fat nib to limit detail, otherwise I would've really went overboard, knowing myself. No planning, no pencil sketching done before, just started casually drawing. Looks like a coloring book for crackheads.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:44:11 pm by Mathias »

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Reply #1408 on: May 27, 2011, 02:35:34 pm

scribbled a peacock

I spent most of yesterday drawing pictures for people on chat roulette. Saw too many penises.

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #1409 on: May 28, 2011, 03:52:33 am
The mood struck me to do a little digital painting practice piece. going with some color this time as my paintings are usually just value studies. Felt inspired to take on heath ledger's joker character. i didnt capture his likeness entirely accurately, but my intentions were for speed and to try to keep it loose and feelin good. maybe about 2 hours to get to this point give or take. Just thought id share it for anyone that might find it interesting. First image is a first pass base. second is more layered detail from there.