AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #1: Mobility!  (Read 123978 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Mockup Frenzy #1

Reply #30 on: August 18, 2007, 03:10:10 pm
Helm, gorgeous as usual!  But no need to correct other contestants when they're not even doing it wrong:

The theme this week is optional

But beyond that, both of his designs are totally acceptable regardless!

"One Button" can mean a few things.  In the strictest sense, it means that most cell phones can not detect more than one concurrent button press.  Plus, people usually just play with a thumb; so your traditional run+jump is pretty hard to pull off.  However, there is an emerging subset of games that primarily operate with just a single button press

Mad, great job!  Maybe use part of the HUD to show a closeup of the character's face?

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: August 18, 2007, 03:33:55 pm
Alright then,

my crappy lil' mockup, 13 colors in all. Ship autofires, the game would work with the button with a variable option:

Player presses button once, he goes up as long as he holds it. Once he releases, the next press (and hold subsequently) will be down, and vice versa. The player has 4 'cores' (Lives), the 4th one is standardly half-destroyed, there would be power ups along the level. The first level would most likely surviving enough so you can get out of the planet before it goes supernova. :P

Yeah, sorry for the glow underneath, I had no great ideas and I REALLY need to brush up on my BG skills. =/

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #32 on: August 18, 2007, 03:38:52 pm
Helm, gorgeous as usual!  But no need to correct other contestants when they're not even doing it wrong:

oh, mea culpa, I didn't notice the optionalness!

Offline KAT

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: August 18, 2007, 04:53:08 pm
Hello! I`m new here ;) I want to show you my 2nd mockup (first mockup  i made with Helm`s video tutorial - thx man, it`s gr8 and helpfull video for noobs like me ;)). Ok, here is my mockup:

GAME TITLE: BOMBY
RULES: Use barrel and catch bombs ;)
CONTROLS: Only one button of course ;) Release button = barrel moves left, push button = barrel moves right, simple.

I need some critics and opinions. Thanks ;)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #34 on: August 18, 2007, 06:24:51 pm
Welcome, KAT!  Great start - some things you could work on would be:

1 - Making the bombs and barrel stand out more from the background.  Since they're the main point of the game they should be highly visible!

2 - Try avoid outlines if you can; sometimes outlines are great, but it is always good to practice NOT needing them, too.  Your cloud in the sky is the most appealing part of the design I think!

3 - Sharing colors.  You're actually already doing this some, but its more because there's a lot of gray in your piece period I think.  Think about it more in terms of individual shades being able to be applied to multiple color ramps or surfaces...

4 - I would think about ways to engage the player, such as adding some character to the barrel or bombs, or making a slightly more intuitive setting.  E.g. maybe there is a reason that bombs are falling, or the barrel is actually a little robot, etc.  Just examples; how can you take this beyond a generic street scene and make it memorable?

Good work so far, can't wait to see the next pass!

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: August 18, 2007, 07:45:11 pm

Small and final update.  Lost some readability with the "08" but I'm fine with that.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: August 18, 2007, 07:54:50 pm

Help Karateka-san not disgrace his dojo (and his irritable master on the background in particular) in this rhythm game of honor.

D:!

' _ '

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: August 18, 2007, 08:01:03 pm
2 - Try avoid outlines if you can; sometimes outlines are great, but it is always good to practice NOT needing them, too. 
KAT, you should leave the outlines on the objects (the bombs and the barrel) because it will make them stand out more. You should drop them, or make them less visible on the background. (like the wall and the sidewalk)

I think this is what Adam meant, but to me it wasn't really clear so I thought I should point that out

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #38 on: August 18, 2007, 08:37:41 pm
No, I know this is surprising, but I did in fact mean what I typed.  Practice not using outlines!  EVEN ON IMPORTANT OBJECTS.  Yes you need to balance this with the need for contrast...but then, that was the whole point of me posting about that in the first place.  If you absolutely NEED to use them in order to get sufficient contrast, by all means, go ahead, but there are lots of other ways to approach the problem; try exploring some!

Offline yueprofile

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: August 18, 2007, 09:51:14 pm
My alpha release is here

colors: 31+trans
pixels: 128x160

================================
the game is an isometric side scroller, where the screen scrolls to the up-right direction.
avatar moves automaticly on a path.
The goal of the game is to go through the stage as fast as possible.
the point counter on the top right was init at 100000, and decreases automaticly.
player can stay in the stage as long as he wants, until the point counter reaches 0
or avatar died. when kills an enemy, player gets points, being hitten by enemy player lose HP.
the points will be carried to next stage.

player push the button to jump to avoid obstacals; double click button to turn around.
player hold the button to accumulate power, then release to use different attacks,
         depending on the power level.
so it'a a "one button" control
=====================================================================

note the mockup is an alpha release. i will tweak it more later on.
=====================================================================
Update:

optimized the color, i think it stands out more then before
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 05:04:27 am by yueprofile »