AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #1: Mobility!  (Read 123988 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Mockup Frenzy #1: Mobility!

on: August 15, 2007, 08:40:49 pm
Welcome to Mockup Frenzy!

progFX had a great idea a few days ago:

I think most people would have to agree that mockups and/or game sprites seem to be the most popular submissions on the boards, and personally I find them the most fun thing to pixel. My idea for a weekly event would be to have people create game Mockups based on the current topic, and (Possibly) even have a set pallet or game type ie: Platformer, Shooter, RPG, etc. Just thought I would through out the idea, would be a nice thing to look forward to each week, and having a week to work on it would also be quite nice.

Mods and various other users agreed, and the Mockup Frenzy was born.  But wait!  What's a mockup?

A mockup is a fullscreen piece of pixel art that represents a "screenshot" of a video game.  Great examples include but are not limited to:

Artwork by Kenneth Fejer, Gary Lucken, and Kenneth Fejer respectively

The most important thing to notice is the attention to detail - GUIs, clear game mechanics, enemies, tiles, etc.
A good mockup can tell you more about a game than 10 pages of detailed design document!

So, every two weeks, we'll put up a new set of guidelines for mockups, including but not limited to:

1 - Size
2 - Palette/Color Limits/Platform
3 - Subject Matter/Play Style

After 2 weeks, all the submissions will be gathered into the first post of the thread for easy viewing, and a new set of guidelines will be posted in a new thread.  There is no voting, no winners, no competition except how great a job can YOU do.  Members will be welcome to submit entries after the 2 week deadline, but there could be massive delays in when those entries are rolled back into the first post collection of submissions.

Finally, please only submit NEW works to the Mockup Frenzy.  New works means ideas you started pixeling after the start date.  I think that's about it!  If we think of any more "rules" we'll be sure to add them.  Otherwise, have fun pixeling!

Ah!  One final note regarding the deadlines: we will collect the entries the day after the deadline.  We will try to do this late in the day, but because the moderation staff lives all over the world, it is conceivable that entries COULD be collected very late in the day on the deadline itself, depending on staff schedules, etc.  If you want to be absolutely positive that your entry is collected, then please post it early in the day, or even the day before.  Especially since there is no voting and no "winners", we will not tolerate any deadline-related whining!!

Thanks very much to everyone who chipped in ideas for this activity, and I look forward to seeing everyone's entries!

Haha, I just remembered something else.  Please post all finished entries to THIS thread.  Also, for now, you are welcome to post WIPs here or in Critique if you want help with specific facets.  I'd like it if we could keep this thread pretty informal and loose, since its not a competition and we'll be collecting the entries at the end anyways.  Thanks!

Mockup Frenzy #1

Mockup Frenzy #1 is a cell-phone themed session:

Resolution: 128px wide by 160px tall
Colors: 31 colors + transparency
Theme: "One Button" play
Start Day: August 15th, 2007
Deadline: August 31st, 2007
Notes: The theme this week is optional, but a fun challenge I think!  "One Button" can mean a few things.  In the strictest sense, it means that most cell phones can not detect more than one concurrent button press.  Plus, people usually just play with a thumb; so your traditional run+jump is pretty hard to pull off.  However, there is an emerging subset of games that primarily operate with just a single button press; see this handy link that Feron looked up for more ideas: http://www.gamasutra.com/upload/features/20050602/green_01.shtml

As this is the very first Mockup Frenzy, you are welcome to post any questions or concerns in this thread as we get underway :)

The Entries

Xion, sharprm, MaDsk8tard, Ryan Cordel, KAT:

Ian, Feron, Feron, Zach, Delgneith:

Noveroth, Judas, RhysD, infinity+1, elise:

ego, Schu, Arachne, yueprofile, Xion:

Helm, Dusty, ceddo:

am_pm, xavier_viiv, OzBlueShoes:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 06:22:44 am by Kiana »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: Mockup Frenzy #1

Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 10:31:58 pm
http://www.gamasutra.com/upload/features/20050602/green_01.shtml

this link really helped me come up with a concept, thought it was worth sharing as i struggled for a while to think about how to use the button.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 11:34:19 pm
Great link!  For this activity, especially since its the first, going with one button (whether its just one button total, or one at a time like in the bulk of phone games) is definitely optional, I just think its an interesting exercise  ^-^

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 11:38:21 pm
Well most cell-phone games have two buttons, one as an 'action' button, and one for back.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 01:20:39 am
The vertical orientation for this (most one-button games, like helicopter or jumper, have a horizontal screen for prep time) makes coming up with the idea half the fun.  i've got some thoughts.....:P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 01:29:57 am
Why does a mockup need a color reserved for transparency?

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 01:34:31 am
I guess 'cause when you make a mock-up, you're keeping in mind the specs of the system you're making it for.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 02:48:03 am
Robot Dungeon:
You are a robot who runs on gold.
In a dungeon.

A cookie to the first person who figures out the gameplay mechanic.
Except for those who already know, of course.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 02:50:08 am by Xion »

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 02:51:09 am
There is only one key, and it makes you turn right, because the robot is defective, and cannot turn left. And you have to switch little levers on the ground by walking upon them that drop pianos and anvils that kill the oil-thirsty knights trying to slay you. collect pellets for extra points!

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 03:09:06 am
So this is literally one button? Not one button+directionals? Hmm, that is a lot more challenging than I thought, but my one idea would still work :)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 03:22:08 am
Dusty: Get your read on!

Great link!  For this activity, especially since its the first, going with one button (whether its just one button total, or one at a time like in the bulk of phone games) is definitely optional, I just think its an interesting exercise  ^-^

Xion: Awesome!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 03:38:01 am
There is only one key, and it makes you turn right, because the robot is defective, and cannot turn left.
:y:
The rest, though, is complete garbage.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 03:38:22 am
I did read, but I had assumed it was directional+one 'action' key. I would like to keep to the rules, and not just use more buttons because I was never sure what the actual rules were on "one button" theme.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 04:22:19 am
Ah - yeah I will amend the top post to include a quick explanation of why the "one button" thing.  The short story is most phones can't detect more than a single button press at a time.  So no holding a direction and then hitting another key!

EDIT - top post amended.  Let me know if its any clearer!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 04:27:43 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline Vertigo-zero

• http://boomers.onninet.com
    • View Profile
    • Boomers

Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 09:40:01 am
This 1 button game idea is pretty cool, but less hard to make than most people think... for example the fishing game (top of this thread) can be played with one... First you've got to hold the button while a marker floats from left to right, then when you release button, the same thing happens but floating from front to back. Dont know if all of this was understandable (and proper english) but hey, I dont care  :crazy:

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 10:20:33 am
This is a genius idea, I've got a pretty decent idea I hope nobody else takes/uses. I'll probably post it early next week :D

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 01:34:51 pm
I was thinking of doing a one-button boxing game, you'd press to punch and hold to block.... thats possible right? Well, allowed anyway.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 02:01:26 pm by bengoshia »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 07:52:09 pm
This is a really fun idea!  I already have a nice idea a-brewin', and if anybody steals it, i WILL kill them :lol:...... :mean:

But I was just wondering...is there somewhere I could get a hold of an actual cellphone palette of some sort?  I'd like to be as legit and restricted as possible.  'Cos I read so often about how difficult a cellphone palette is, and I'd really love to try it, so, a pat on the back to anybody who could lead me in the right direction.  ;):y:
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 08:00:52 pm
Here's my WIP of a block-breaker type game...  (23 colors so far!)

releasing the button makes the platform slide to the right, holding it down makes the platform go left :D

if wips aren't allowed here please delete this post, however i'd like some C&c please...

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 08:49:45 pm
Giant Crane Super Robot Build 60000:

Literally uses only one key.  First you have to pick up the piece of the robot you need by timing dropping the crane.  Then you have to time pressing again when the crane is over the dump pipe (the crane will begin sliding back and forth along the rail).  You must build a certain number of robots within the time limit.

Edit:Just realized I forgot to do anything special with the HUD elements.  I'm going to fancy up the numbers and stuff when i get around to it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 11:22:02 pm by Ian »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 08:39:14 am
Mockup:

Button changes direction of Helicopter. Enemies below you. Bombs fall automatically.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 06:44:28 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 03:50:34 pm
great job so far guys!  keep em coming!

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 05:17:07 pm
Hooray!

All those years of collecting those cheesy Fast food games that use one button has paid off!

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: August 17, 2007, 05:45:30 pm
Question. are 31 colors the LIMIT of how many you can have, or how much you MUST have for a game? (Or if it's both?)

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #24 on: August 17, 2007, 06:27:01 pm
Looking good, Feron. :) I'd sharpen up the ball a bit, though.

Here's mine. You're a small prospector bot surveying the ocean floor. Your competitors have such bots, too, and will try to destroy you. Environmentalists have deposited naval mines you have to avoid. :D

One button lets you turn 90 degrees clockwise, while another turns you counterclockwise.

The locations of power-ups are shown with lines pointing to the direction and icons indicating distance. Larger icons mean they're closer. Catch dud mines to blow up the bots following you. Small batteries give you an energy shield which absorbs one hit, while big batteries make you invulnerable for a limited amount of time.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #25 on: August 18, 2007, 06:03:04 am
Question. are 31 colors the LIMIT of how many you can have, or how much you MUST have for a game? (Or if it's both?)

I can't believe I'm answering this, but it is the maximum number of colors you are allowed to use.  You are not required to use precisely 31 colors.

Arachne - that rocks!  Maybe there could be a little more red in the design of the enemy ships and mines, so they stick out a bit more?  submarine games ftw...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #26 on: August 18, 2007, 01:28:21 pm

Phone on the side for this. Help Karateka-san not disgrace his dojo (and his irritable master on the background in particular) in this rhythm game of honor.

This is basically taking the worst aspect of International Karate + from the c64 and making it good. The older ones know what I'm talking about. However here you don't block balls, you just punch fruit. When a fruit is thrown you get a soundeffect that fades in from the side. The player must gauge when to unleash the karateka punch according to the soundeffect (at first few levels when the fruit goes relatively slow the beginner player can do it on visual cue alone. Later on when it gets fastball-city, you have to determine by sound alone). Sometimes more than one fruit are coming your way and you have to double or triple-tap in right rhythm. This is taking the concept of Tapper, marrying it to baseball and making it a bit non-stop. Additionally to just hitting the fruit by tapping the button, you can power-up an attack if you're really good (optional, then) by holding the button, then releasing when the gauge is close to full (or completely full if you're that good. When it fills, splitsecond later it's back to empty) to hit the fruit with more power to get more points.

This is easily translated to a more Tapper-y 3 button game, with low, middle and high lobbed fruit if one were to cross-develop.

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com

Reply #27 on: August 18, 2007, 01:31:40 pm
interesting idea so,
mine :)

I think that all know this game, so i've decided to remake it on a mobile version^^

for controls : auto speed or not, Left ( key 4 ) or Right( key 6 ) to move, Up ( key 2 ) to Increase Speed, Down ( key 8 ) to reduce Speed, and fire( key 5 ) to Jump !

[EDIT] ok so for just only the same button :

for controls : just Press the fire button to Jump, more you are holding the button, more your jump is higher ;)
and of course, the game is with an autospeed for the character !

« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 02:22:16 pm by MaDsk8tard »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #28 on: August 18, 2007, 01:40:37 pm
Theme: "One Button" play

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com

Reply #29 on: August 18, 2007, 01:49:21 pm
hum, you can change button no? or it's just only one button?

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #30 on: August 18, 2007, 03:10:10 pm
Helm, gorgeous as usual!  But no need to correct other contestants when they're not even doing it wrong:

The theme this week is optional

But beyond that, both of his designs are totally acceptable regardless!

"One Button" can mean a few things.  In the strictest sense, it means that most cell phones can not detect more than one concurrent button press.  Plus, people usually just play with a thumb; so your traditional run+jump is pretty hard to pull off.  However, there is an emerging subset of games that primarily operate with just a single button press

Mad, great job!  Maybe use part of the HUD to show a closeup of the character's face?

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: August 18, 2007, 03:33:55 pm
Alright then,

my crappy lil' mockup, 13 colors in all. Ship autofires, the game would work with the button with a variable option:

Player presses button once, he goes up as long as he holds it. Once he releases, the next press (and hold subsequently) will be down, and vice versa. The player has 4 'cores' (Lives), the 4th one is standardly half-destroyed, there would be power ups along the level. The first level would most likely surviving enough so you can get out of the planet before it goes supernova. :P

Yeah, sorry for the glow underneath, I had no great ideas and I REALLY need to brush up on my BG skills. =/

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #32 on: August 18, 2007, 03:38:52 pm
Helm, gorgeous as usual!  But no need to correct other contestants when they're not even doing it wrong:

oh, mea culpa, I didn't notice the optionalness!

Offline KAT

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: August 18, 2007, 04:53:08 pm
Hello! I`m new here ;) I want to show you my 2nd mockup (first mockup  i made with Helm`s video tutorial - thx man, it`s gr8 and helpfull video for noobs like me ;)). Ok, here is my mockup:

GAME TITLE: BOMBY
RULES: Use barrel and catch bombs ;)
CONTROLS: Only one button of course ;) Release button = barrel moves left, push button = barrel moves right, simple.

I need some critics and opinions. Thanks ;)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #34 on: August 18, 2007, 06:24:51 pm
Welcome, KAT!  Great start - some things you could work on would be:

1 - Making the bombs and barrel stand out more from the background.  Since they're the main point of the game they should be highly visible!

2 - Try avoid outlines if you can; sometimes outlines are great, but it is always good to practice NOT needing them, too.  Your cloud in the sky is the most appealing part of the design I think!

3 - Sharing colors.  You're actually already doing this some, but its more because there's a lot of gray in your piece period I think.  Think about it more in terms of individual shades being able to be applied to multiple color ramps or surfaces...

4 - I would think about ways to engage the player, such as adding some character to the barrel or bombs, or making a slightly more intuitive setting.  E.g. maybe there is a reason that bombs are falling, or the barrel is actually a little robot, etc.  Just examples; how can you take this beyond a generic street scene and make it memorable?

Good work so far, can't wait to see the next pass!

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: August 18, 2007, 07:45:11 pm

Small and final update.  Lost some readability with the "08" but I'm fine with that.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: August 18, 2007, 07:54:50 pm

Help Karateka-san not disgrace his dojo (and his irritable master on the background in particular) in this rhythm game of honor.

D:!

' _ '

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: August 18, 2007, 08:01:03 pm
2 - Try avoid outlines if you can; sometimes outlines are great, but it is always good to practice NOT needing them, too. 
KAT, you should leave the outlines on the objects (the bombs and the barrel) because it will make them stand out more. You should drop them, or make them less visible on the background. (like the wall and the sidewalk)

I think this is what Adam meant, but to me it wasn't really clear so I thought I should point that out

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #38 on: August 18, 2007, 08:37:41 pm
No, I know this is surprising, but I did in fact mean what I typed.  Practice not using outlines!  EVEN ON IMPORTANT OBJECTS.  Yes you need to balance this with the need for contrast...but then, that was the whole point of me posting about that in the first place.  If you absolutely NEED to use them in order to get sufficient contrast, by all means, go ahead, but there are lots of other ways to approach the problem; try exploring some!

Offline yueprofile

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: August 18, 2007, 09:51:14 pm
My alpha release is here

colors: 31+trans
pixels: 128x160

================================
the game is an isometric side scroller, where the screen scrolls to the up-right direction.
avatar moves automaticly on a path.
The goal of the game is to go through the stage as fast as possible.
the point counter on the top right was init at 100000, and decreases automaticly.
player can stay in the stage as long as he wants, until the point counter reaches 0
or avatar died. when kills an enemy, player gets points, being hitten by enemy player lose HP.
the points will be carried to next stage.

player push the button to jump to avoid obstacals; double click button to turn around.
player hold the button to accumulate power, then release to use different attacks,
         depending on the power level.
so it'a a "one button" control
=====================================================================

note the mockup is an alpha release. i will tweak it more later on.
=====================================================================
Update:

optimized the color, i think it stands out more then before
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 05:04:27 am by yueprofile »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #40 on: August 19, 2007, 04:48:53 am

Help Karateka-san not disgrace his dojo (and his irritable master on the background in particular) in this rhythm game of honor.

D:!

I love you now, do you know that? We have to go out, now. I'm a pretty demanding boyfriend...

Offline Lee N

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: August 19, 2007, 07:45:13 am

Phone on the side for this. Help Karateka-san not disgrace his dojo (and his irritable master on the background in particular) in this rhythm game of honor.

Have you played Rhythm Tengoku?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/brij/40kinds/stage01_1.html

edit: your baseball analogy too:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/brij/40kinds/stage01_4.html
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 07:49:34 am by Lee N »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #42 on: August 19, 2007, 08:30:23 am
Yes I have.

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #43 on: August 19, 2007, 08:43:34 am
I am loving all these, but especially Helm's and Jad's edit of it xD..that made me laugh.
Alice is dead. We cut off her head.

Offline Lee N

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: August 19, 2007, 08:52:47 am
Yes I have.

Seemed like a very similar concept..

Rhythm Tengoku and the Wario Ware games are filled with games that are controlled with very few buttons.

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: August 19, 2007, 11:59:51 am

12 colors so far. Pressing the button makes you go up, releasing it lets you go down! Dodge the mines, and lasers being shot by cannons on the ground! :)

Maybe I won't finish this, because I've got a load of homework to do. In any case, it's been a nice inspiration for me. :crazy:

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #46 on: August 19, 2007, 01:51:46 pm
helm (&jad) :  the original is a great looking mockup and concept, and jads edit is the icing on the cake.

arachne: very nice mockup - i wish i could play it.  i think you might have been able to do more with the bg though, rather than just squares :P.

yueprofile:  the pixel texture is very nice, i think you need work on your pallettes though some things get a bit confusing and lost.

ceddo: please finish that, looks like it has a lot of potential.  same concept as the helicopter game? - which is good cos i am addicted to that!

well heres my final entry + 6 col version:

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #47 on: August 19, 2007, 03:15:29 pm
feron - nice finish!  Might be able to push the colors a little bit in the full color version, just up the saturation in general a bit.  Cell phone screens have a nasty habit of washing colors out!

ceddo - AWESOME start, definitely finish this one!

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: August 19, 2007, 04:36:54 pm
Does it have to be an original idea?

Or can we do a Mario game?

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #49 on: August 19, 2007, 04:41:12 pm

why would you want to do a mario game.  part of the fun of this challenge is creating your own characters and concepts and then pixelling them.

thanks adam, i might try some pallete stuff but i would quite like to move on to my next one - i go away on wednesday  :D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 04:42:53 pm by Feron »

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Reply #50 on: August 19, 2007, 04:42:39 pm

why would you want to do a mario game.  part of the fun of this challenge is creating your own characters and concepts and then pixelling them.
I don't mean a Mario game, I mean a mario style game.

Actually, I think I've got a better idea.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 04:45:50 pm by Soup »

Offline ep

• View Profile
    • my deviantArt

Reply #51 on: August 19, 2007, 09:25:28 pm
Did you mean mario game as in a scrolling platformer?

I got an idea for one based off a game I used to play on the calculator, problem is figuring out a good way to represent it without it sucking to bad.

Offline KAT

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: August 19, 2007, 11:12:21 pm
Welcome, KAT!  Great start - some things you could work on would be:

1 - Making the bombs and barrel stand out more from the background.  Since they're the main point of the game they should be highly visible!

2 - Try avoid outlines if you can; sometimes outlines are great, but it is always good to practice NOT needing them, too.  Your cloud in the sky is the most appealing part of the design I think!

3 - Sharing colors.  You're actually already doing this some, but its more because there's a lot of gray in your piece period I think.  Think about it more in terms of individual shades being able to be applied to multiple color ramps or surfaces...

4 - I would think about ways to engage the player, such as adding some character to the barrel or bombs, or making a slightly more intuitive setting.  E.g. maybe there is a reason that bombs are falling, or the barrel is actually a little robot, etc.  Just examples; how can you take this beyond a generic street scene and make it memorable?

Good work so far, can't wait to see the next pass!

1) Agree, but how can i do it? I`m noob and that mockup is 3rd pixel art in my live :) Any advice or example?

2) Ok, but in this mockup i want outlines. I like this cloud too ;)

3) Maybe you can show me how can i do it? I'll be thankful if you do that.

4) Yeap, great idea but my skills are not good enough to draw it :(

Thanks for an answer.

Owww one more thing: I hate buildings in this mockup... they are flat and ugly :\ I dont have any idea how can i correct them.

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: August 20, 2007, 12:04:07 am

Pressing the button rolls the joint. The faster you press the faster you roll it, but dont lose the rhythm or you don't roll the joint as good. Better joints get you better highs. Better highs = more points :lol:.

Needs a lot of work. It was fun to draw though. HUD elements to be added soon.

EDIT: Updatz0r
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 04:48:03 pm by am_pm »

Offline progFX

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: August 20, 2007, 12:55:20 am

?

Pressing the button rolls the joint. The faster you press the faster you roll it, but dont lose the rhythm or you don't roll the joint as good. Better joints get you better highs. Better highs = more points :lol:.

Ahahahaha nice, maybe have the Green-out meeter be your guide, you want  to get the roll to stay in the middle, falls short you don't get high enough less points, roll toooo well and you green-out and are unable to roll anymore lol. Neat idea.

Offline RhysD

• View Profile
    • RhysD.com

Reply #55 on: August 20, 2007, 06:46:50 am
Morse Code Revolution

Similar to the Dance Dance Revolution and Guitar Hero type games where you have to press a button in time to a specific icon that moves along your screen...(hard to explain if you haven't played it before).

Uses only one button for user input. Player must press the button when the white morse code dot reaches the button shown on the screen. Either tapping it for single dots or holding it for a bit longer for the stretched dot.

Challenges include speed typing and paragraphs containing long difficult words. The meter on the right shows your current success rate, keeping it up the top means you are balanced. Any lower means you are making a lot of mistakes or are too slow.

Points are displayed along the bottom in the form of currency. After all, your job as a telegram operator has got its benefits ;)

Didn't spend too long on this, should be around 21 colours or so...

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: August 20, 2007, 06:53:01 am
Finally got down and did this... dunno a name for it.

I believe it's 12 colors+transparency. I had a hard time getting a lot to fit in such a small area with such a large scale on the setting. I also had a problem thinking of how to do the gerbil ball... so I ended up 'cutting' it in half so you could see inside it, as I felt it robbed a lot by not actually showing the gerbil.
So, you're a gerbil(I think that's what it is), that has been left in your ball while everyone went out. The point of the game is to travel through the house in your gerbil ball and make it back to your cage where you'll be safe and comfy. You'll go through various rooms, basement, child's room(mock-up), kitchen, and the list goes on. Anyways, the one button is to jump. You'll jump depending on how long you hold the button. Also, you'll keep going in a direction until you hit a wall, if you hit a wall you'll bounce and go in the other direction. The longer you go without changing directions the more speed you build. Last but not least, the 'scoring' is gaining pellets. You start off with a certain amount of pellets on each level(resets on each level), and gain them while you play. Your pellet count continuously drain while you're playing, so you have to keep them replenished by being fast and accurate.

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: August 20, 2007, 11:40:01 am

Worked on this a little more, but I'm having trouble with the sky :). Dithering is not my forte.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #58 on: August 20, 2007, 12:49:18 pm
am_pm: I don't know what I've been smoking but I first thought "rolls your joint" meant "crack your knuckles" and to be honest, I thought it sounded like a great game concept.

RhysD: Excellent idea! People would actually want to play that game and learn morse code at the same time! Well... nerds would.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #59 on: August 20, 2007, 03:48:20 pm
RhysD - hilarious!  I'd boost your contrast a little bit, otherwise awesome :D

Dusty - Great start.  The hamster is almost completely unreadable though!  I'd give him a little more love beofre you call it a day.  Great start though, and funny idea; I think Sonic the Hedgehog was built on basically the same principle :P

Ceddo - killer progress, keep it comin!!

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #60 on: August 20, 2007, 03:53:48 pm
http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/6152/mockup3pu7.gif
Worked on this a little more, but I'm having trouble with the sky :). Dithering is not my forte.

i dont think the sky needs dithering, just add some more depth, ie 1 or 2 more colors and then aa it, perhaps a little dithering for blending but i really hate over-dithered skies.

/

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: August 20, 2007, 05:40:31 pm
Thanks Feron and AdamAtomic! Unfortunately, I was already halfway or so through with the sky when I read your post Feron, so I just decided to finish it off. I'm pretty satisfied with it actually :crazy:

15 colors total, didn't know where to place a sixteenth ::)

I love the other mockups/ideas so far, especially the "Jointroller" idea! :lol:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 05:47:18 pm by ceddo »

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #62 on: August 20, 2007, 06:01:06 pm

EDIT: Updatz0r

ahahaha that's classic, maybe you could have blunt mode too, and then you could have two player or something and like you could also give shotguns to the other person, and better the shotgun better the high better the points?
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline KAT

• View Profile

Reply #63 on: August 20, 2007, 06:45:02 pm

Now sky is better ;) "white" cloud is very nice and realistic ;) Good work, better than mine of course :D

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #64 on: August 20, 2007, 06:58:02 pm
Bad Munder

in this active rpg struggle navigate through underground dungeons and the like with Bad Munder the craziest sword wielding barbarian ever.
equipped with his acquired weaponry ranging from either dual wielding swords to giant mauls or axes, you're also equipped with a rage bar that increases as you successfully attack an enemy, but beware as you fill up your gauge you start to attack faster.  Once the rage gauge is filled you become berserk attacking uncontrollably, so much that if hurt you'll lose double the health.

pretty much what you do is press the button when the action button pops up, so whatever the action is say attack, or defend, or even open the door.
I'm still trying to figure out how I want the game to operate, so these plans may change.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 07:03:13 pm by Zach »

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #65 on: August 20, 2007, 08:24:28 pm

Alright, got rid of the squares, added some more red to the mines and changed the color of the enemy bots. :)

Feron, I liked the simpler, more colorful look of the previous version better. I think making the colored parts of the blocks a bit bigger would help. You could also throw out the darkest purple in the background since it's barely visible, and the ball could be rounder. I love the atmosphere of it, though. :0'

Very nice, ceddo! Maybe give the floating mines a stronger highlight like you have on the ship? They could use a bit more of a metallic shine.

RhysD, great idea! It looks a bit washed out at the moment, though. Up the contrast a bit. :)

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #66 on: August 20, 2007, 10:37:57 pm
Awesome so far Zach, although it's a bit empty. I'm assuming that's the part that's not done though.

Arachne, looking really sharp! I want to play that game if you intend to make it! I think you should make the main ship sprite a different color than anything else (try purple?), because it seems as though it could blend into the mines.

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #67 on: August 20, 2007, 11:33:10 pm

The idea is basically like Kirby's Adventure's shoot out game. You wait for the screen to say "FIRE!" and then have to press the button as fast as you can to beat your opponent. They will get progressively harder and you will be required to fire quicker.

Obviously there's no enemy yet and I want to do some interface but just can't think of what I need. WIP.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #68 on: August 20, 2007, 11:39:14 pm
Obviously there's no enemy yet and I want to do some interface but just can't think of what I need. WIP.

looking great!, you could have:  health bar, number of lives, difficulty level, maybe small portrait (implies character selection), powerups? - like weapons and shiz, current score, enemy health + portrait.    those are most of wat i can think of atm...

arachne - damn girl looking really smooth, i love how u renderd the ships.  perhaps give the enemy ships red "trails" as the player ship has blue.  i am not to fond of the score font but thats just me :p  .  your work has really impressed me lately, soon you will have your own folder on my HD as i have for all the greats! :B

Offline RhysD

• View Profile
    • RhysD.com

Reply #69 on: August 21, 2007, 03:02:53 am
damn you were right about that contrast

before

after

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #70 on: August 21, 2007, 04:39:34 am
damn you were right about that contrast

before

after

Just looking at them i actually had a hard time seeing much of a difference. All you've done is basically upped the saturation a bit and made the image darker overall. So it didnt make much difference in the contrast. Try making the brights a bit brighter and the darks a bit darker? Upping the saturation even just a bit more might help some aswell :). Right now things look a bit bland.

Heres a quick example..a quick..bad..example..lmao..but it should give an idea

Alice is dead. We cut off her head.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #71 on: August 21, 2007, 08:34:19 am

The idea is basically like Kirby's Adventure's shoot out game. You wait for the screen to say "FIRE!" and then have to press the button as fast as you can to beat your opponent. They will get progressively harder and you will be required to fire quicker.

I for one think you could leave it as it is and have no enemy at all, but having the cowboy looking around himself anxiously when waiting to fire.

Then name it "Paranoid Cowboy"
' _ '

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #72 on: August 21, 2007, 12:26:21 pm
Or you could have him shooting cute harmless things like baby seals, baby turtles and Chuck Norris, which would also be funny. :)

Offline infinity+1

• the real deal
    • View Profile

Reply #73 on: August 21, 2007, 09:54:33 pm

usually i don't do these kinds of community projects and challenges, but i thought i had a good idea for it, and it was a new thing to pixel, so here goes...

of course it's unfinished, and i haven't created the main sprite, but you play as a remote control car that squeaks it's way through a level ducking behind each rock to avoid being shot by the enemy surveillance robot. there is a certain time limit between each blast of light and you must press the action button quickly to make the car move past the open spaces. if you are caught, it electrocutes you and takes away from the lifebar on the bottom. the top bar is an indicator as to how far you are in the level.

when you get to the end of the level, you are met by an anxious kid controlling the car.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 09:57:27 pm by infinity+1 »

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: August 21, 2007, 10:26:28 pm
looking great!, you could have:  health bar, number of lives, difficulty level, maybe small portrait (implies character selection), powerups? - like weapons and shiz, current score, enemy health + portrait.    those are most of wat i can think of atm...

Health and powerups aren't needed.

How about the timer(like in KA), Your Strikes, and Hats.

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Reply #75 on: August 21, 2007, 11:08:45 pm

My WIP, It's Clearly Donkey Kong.. And there are two reasons i wanted to make this...

1. I have been on a major DK kick..
2. I figured out the Perfect control scheme.

Basically, you auto walk forward, Hold down the button to stop and Tap the button to jump.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #76 on: August 21, 2007, 11:25:06 pm
Basically, you auto walk forward, Hold down the button to stop and Tap the button to jump.

which way is forward, left or right?  that might be tricky when u reach the edge of the screen, no?

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #77 on: August 21, 2007, 11:28:21 pm

which way is forward, left or right?  that might be tricky when u reach the edge of the screen, no?

Have you ever played DK?  it's both!

EDIT - or more appropriately, forward = uphill :)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #78 on: August 21, 2007, 11:38:49 pm
Hmm, how do you climb ladders?

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #79 on: August 21, 2007, 11:40:02 pm

Have you ever played DK?  it's both!

EDIT - or more appropriately, forward = uphill :)

yes i have.

uphill.. well the second platform goes downhill, but i see wat u mean, just goes towards the ladders basically...
perhaps tapping the button could change direction (left or right), holding it down stops, and double tap to climb ladders?

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #80 on: August 22, 2007, 12:49:28 am
Hmm, I retract my last statement. I think he plans to have the movement kind of do all the work. IE, it will go to the next ladder, climb the next ladder and so on all on its own. The only control you have is stopping said movement.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #81 on: August 22, 2007, 01:19:19 am
hmm now i'm not convinced either :P  its fairly crucial in DK to be able to reverse direction, climb, AND jump.  Reducing it to auto-run with jump only is fairly problematic in the big picture I think.  Good job critical thinkers!

Offline niceidiot

• View Profile

Reply #82 on: August 22, 2007, 02:24:38 am
Might I suggest that you are DONKEY KONG, the flame or the barrel, that would be a good twist, and require only a single button.  Man this is a sweet activity, if I wasn't taking care of my dying grandma I would be all over it.

-N.I.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #83 on: August 22, 2007, 03:29:11 am
Quote from: AdamAtomic
Dusty - Great start.  The hamster is almost completely unreadable though!  I'd give him a little more love beofre you call it a day.  Great start though, and funny idea; I think Sonic the Hedgehog was built on basically the same principle
Hmm, might I ask what exactly is unreadable about it? I thought it read pretty good as a hamster, though I guess the spots seem a bit random. I'd like to fix this up, but I'm not exactly sure what I should be fixing.

curse the quote button bug

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #84 on: August 22, 2007, 03:56:37 am
the shapes are overrendered and the ball comes forward rather than going back.  At first I thought it was a baby duck half out of the shell rolling along.  Actually, that might be a fun premise :P
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Reply #85 on: August 22, 2007, 06:00:43 am
Ok, Revised controls

No button =  ->
held = <-
Tap = jump/climb ladder

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #86 on: August 22, 2007, 06:11:05 am
Quote from: Adarias
the shapes are overrendered and the ball comes forward rather than going back.  At first I thought it was a baby duck half out of the shell rolling along.  Actually, that might be a fun premise
Hmm, I'm sorry, but I'm still not following. The ball is supposed to go forward?
Also, the ball was originally defined pretty well, but it didn't portray speed as it was static, so I added the 'blur' to the insides to show the rotation.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #87 on: August 22, 2007, 10:31:46 am
what about:
Code: [Select]
if(button) {
  if(ladder) {
    climb ladder
  } else {
    if(tap) {
      jump
    } else {
      turn the other way
    }
  }
} else {
   walk
}

Revised: I forgot JUMP!!

Ok, Revised controls

No button =  ->
held = <-
Tap = jump/climb ladder
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:35:12 am by robotacon »

Offline Judas

• Merciless
    • View Profile

Reply #88 on: August 23, 2007, 01:29:09 am

Damn you for beating me to it. Still WIP at the moment. Needs more interface/background-not-sucking/spritework.
The box at the top shows the enemy's gun, twitchy hand, eyes, etc. like the classic final showdown at the end of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. When the enemy is about to fire, a zoom of CRAZY EYES in a jagged box shakes at the top, along with the DRAW! text. Here, the sheriff of San Diablo is taking on his third opponent on the way to Mr. Black, a man by the name of Ramon Blanco. Yella Belly and Wade Green have already been beaten. When Blanco is done, Ugly Azul, Brown Bear, and Greigh must be stopped before the final confrontation with the menace leading the Vibrant Gang, a deviant by the name of Mr. Black. Working on a black and white Akira Kurosawa-esque Samurai Kirby clone, too. More on that when this finishes, maybe even too late for the deadline. Roar.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #89 on: August 23, 2007, 02:00:26 am
awesome!  Not sure if the skintight shirt on the badguy works for me, but hell yea for everything else :)

Offline elise

• View Profile

Reply #90 on: August 23, 2007, 03:20:13 am
Here's my contribution...

You're either a panda or a monkey trying to find keys to escape from the zoo.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #91 on: August 23, 2007, 08:49:24 am
This is a greatidea for a challenge.
I originally was going to make something similar to Ceddo's (which is one of my personal favorites, along with the Junkie mockup by am_pm), and had the Kirby minigame as a backup, but they're now both taken.

Hmm... I think I'll do a variation of the Kirby game instead. It's even easily doable as a real game because the player and enemies just need two poses (sheathed and attacking.).

You press a button when DRAW appears, then immediately, the word COUNTER or EVADE appears at different intervals, so some double-tapping is needed if you want to survive.

The goal is to consume your enemy's life points.

Rarely, the word FINISHER appears after the COUNTER/EVADE and you have to tap again (which makes it a triple-tap) and finish off the enemy with one blow if successful.

If you tap the button without any on-screen instructions, you FLINCH and don't get a move the rest of the "attack phase".

Some of you might think it stupid that I'm already thinking it up even before the pixelling, but I just want to get some ideas down.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Reply #92 on: August 24, 2007, 12:19:29 am

Eh. I can't decide if it's done or not. It needs something, what that may be, I have no idea.

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #93 on: August 24, 2007, 01:18:03 am
well... you could make some levels where you're at a bigass party, and your rolling a joint, and all the people are bugging you, so you could maybe have a stress meter?
or something like that..

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Reply #94 on: August 24, 2007, 01:50:26 am
Hmm. I was thinking of having all of your buddies lying around the room waiting for a toke. The thing is though I don't want the screen to be filled with different meters and measurements. I have no idea how to approach the display of the actual game mechanic. I was planning on having an animation of your fingers actually rolling the joint, but I opted for something simpler. Maybe I should just try my best at rendering the hands + joint? lol

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Reply #95 on: August 25, 2007, 01:54:15 am
I decided to make mine into an actual flash game since it was so simple.  No scoring and endless play yet but the engine is pretty much finished:
Link
Click to center app.  Space does everything else.

Offline xavier_viiv

• View Profile

Reply #96 on: August 25, 2007, 04:02:15 pm

wow...mine is just a crap compare to all of those...>.,<...

mine is a silhouette stick trying to escape from black and white world..well..i plan to add some mozaic and colourful world,where the enemy stick man will blur to background...>.,<

i know the dither is bad...>.,<

auto forward,press the button to stop-and it will search for black(shadow) around him and automatically duck or lay or just stand..of course done by program..>,<-

don`t get caught by the camera`s sight or enemy`s sight..simple^^..

PS:that black shadow you can say it`s from the lamp--which not look like one..>.,<-- and a little gap behind the wall...

just wanna participate though^^

hope you guys like it
o_O

GBU
 max514

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #97 on: August 26, 2007, 07:31:48 pm
I decided to make mine into an actual flash game since it was so simple.  No scoring and endless play yet but the engine is pretty much finished:
Link
Click to center app.  Space does everything else.
The crane moves way to fast, and when I was trying to drop the stuff down the tube it kept bouncing off even though it looked like it should've gone in.

Offline Ego

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Reply #98 on: August 26, 2007, 11:39:36 pm

Didn't want to spend too much time, just wanted something in this.
A quiz game(no critisism on the question, it was just the first thought). Playable with the arrows AND the button, or just the button.
Just button: Press the button to move the arrow to the next answer. When on chosen answer, wait until 15 second timer ends.
With arrows.: Use the arrows to select, then press the button to select. still a 15 second limit.
Not complex, but fun to make. Also, I havn't seen this idea in the topic yet.

Offline Schu

• The front is a lemon avenue flying straightly
    • View Profile
    • Eyegore-net

Reply #99 on: August 27, 2007, 02:09:05 am

Puzzle maze games are more my thing, so in the vein of "Press 5", here's my mockup.

You have to navigate the little treasure-loving-ninja-gnome through the maze, while he just walks and auto-turns right when he hits a wall, you push five to spin the floor 90 degrees clockwise to navigate him elsewhere. Collect treasure for points and have to find a set amount of keys to get out and on to the next level. Avoid traps and enemies but there are some squares on the ground that auto-dictate what happens--like those arrows, when your sprite hits it, he automatically goes the way its pointing (but so do the enemies so if they hit a square that activates a bomb you better navigate outta there before it counts down to zero). Later there will be actual blocks that can do things to the level (like slide across the floor tiles to hit things/set off traps/etc). I'm thinking boss stages too where you get bonus points depending on how quick you deal with it and super treasure. (And since you can't attack, you need to navigate the little guy over squares that'll help you out in those cases).

I'm thinking it's what happens when you mutate ChuChu Rocket with Druaga. I've also got an idea for multiplayer (up to 4 players) that deals with sabotage and treasure collecting.
------
Schu
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 02:21:23 am by Schu »

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #100 on: August 27, 2007, 02:09:00 pm
Awww, Schu, that's an awesome little character! I love the simple style. :D The shadows under the treasure and key, however, look a bit out of place since the rest of the mockup uses more saturated colors, so I'd go for something more brown.

Made the player bot more gray and changed the enemy bots a bit to match the style.

Offline KAT

• View Profile

Reply #101 on: August 27, 2007, 07:01:32 pm

Puzzle maze games are more my thing, so in the vein of "Press 5", here's my mockup.

Maybe you should put that animated rat on your mockup ;) I think it will be better than static rat ;).

Offline Schu

• The front is a lemon avenue flying straightly
    • View Profile
    • Eyegore-net

Reply #102 on: August 27, 2007, 07:18:04 pm
Heehee XD I should make his other walkcycles though.

I'll try the brownish shadow, Arachne. But I think I prefer the grey so they'd work on other floor tiles without having to change it. We shall see!
------
Schu

Offline yueprofile

• View Profile

Reply #103 on: August 28, 2007, 08:52:01 pm
new update:

:)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #104 on: August 29, 2007, 07:04:13 pm
Lightning is but a tad bit too heavily outlined, I think. Also, usage of pure white would probably be completely acceptable (even recommendable) in this case.

Other than that, great job O:!
' _ '

Offline yueprofile

• View Profile

Reply #105 on: August 29, 2007, 11:20:29 pm
Lightning is but a tad bit too heavily outlined, I think. Also, usage of pure white would probably be completely acceptable (even recommendable) in this case.

thx!
you mean white outline on the guy?

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Reply #106 on: August 29, 2007, 11:31:55 pm

Eh. I can't decide if it's done or not. It needs something, what that may be, I have no idea.

I think that it would be cool if you added cool graphical effects when he starts to get stoned. Kind of like the sanity meter in Eternal Darkness, but much more...psychedelic?

Also, Morse Code Revolution is my favorite game idea right now.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #107 on: August 29, 2007, 11:57:03 pm
weed doesnt make physchodelic shit happen, that would be acid.

but yeah it'd be cool for the screen to change depending on the level on stonedness.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #108 on: August 30, 2007, 03:01:30 am

thx!
you mean white outline on the guy?
I think he meant on the lightning, to make it much more...lightningingy. Cuz, you know, lightning is light....and bright.
But I agree: great jorb.

Offline yueprofile

• View Profile

Reply #109 on: August 30, 2007, 03:14:52 am
I think he meant on the lightning, to make it much more...lightningingy. Cuz, you know, lightning is light....and bright.
But I agree: great jorb.

thx, i will try it out

Offline OzBlueShoes

• View Profile

Reply #110 on: August 30, 2007, 04:54:58 am

Mini-idea-esqe-mock-up-goodness.

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #111 on: August 30, 2007, 07:15:59 pm
Nice work every1!
Morse code is my favorite :)

The reason for my post was to show you guy some game I have played long time ago.
Its no pixel art game, its actually 3d, but its a free mini game with 1 button..
Most of the games you have designed for your mockups do not have that much actions to do with your one button :(
Thisone does, and thats why I wanted to show you :)
Its allready too late to get idea's from it, (havnt seen the topic earlyer, vacation) but its fun to play :)
Ninja Academy (for windows and Mac)
With just 1 button you can walk, jump, throw ninja stars and aim, slash, make wall jumps, kill enemys by slashing them, head butting them, throwing them in the air, push them away from your paths, evade other enemys, collect things and that all with just 1 button...  :P
Oh and the second button is only used to shut the game ;)
You can download it for free here:
http://hamumu.com/gamelets.php
If the game doesnt work on your windows, install the driver of your video card.

There is some other fun and free games on there too, like NPC quest and castle smash

Offline Judas

• Merciless
    • View Profile

Reply #112 on: August 30, 2007, 11:17:08 pm

Updated DRAW! mockup. Sup.

I need to figure out how to change my avatar, by the by. Oi.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #113 on: August 31, 2007, 07:30:05 am
So, uhm... this activity should be ending by today or so, but since AdamAtomic is out of town, the next Mockup Frenzy will have to wait until he comes back.
In the mean time you can see all the entries received on the first post of this thread.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #114 on: September 01, 2007, 06:02:02 am
Doggonit! I forgot there was a deadline. I finished this like a couple weeks ago but never got around to posting it:

Part 2 of Robot Dungeon. Sort of like the Megaton Punch in Kirby Superstar, but when the bar next to the little sword icon (upper-left) depletes, the knight attacks. This is what happens when you touch a baddie. Also, before each turn (of your own) you play roulette to determine what weapon you'll attack with. (Laser, claws, bazooka, cherry bombs, asphyxiation, etc.)
The pendulum shown must be pressed near to the center so as you don't miss. After this there's a meter that determines the attack strength. (some weapons have a different system, like the laser has crosshairs that need to be centered on the foe and such.) Enemy attacks can be deflected via well-timed button presses ala the Mario RPGs.

BTW, the Golden Knightiator is one of the hardest enemies and is pretty rare.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #115 on: September 01, 2007, 03:41:38 pm
xion im freaking loving that! super sexy.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #116 on: September 01, 2007, 03:54:43 pm
Not quite set up yet for pixelling here.....interesting posts though all!
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Fingerfoods

• Barq's Root Beer is delicious
    • View Profile
    • fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Reply #117 on: September 01, 2007, 08:45:09 pm
Just wanted to show my remake of KAT's mockup.

Hope he doesn't mind.
Follow my blog!
fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Offline KAT

• View Profile

Reply #118 on: September 03, 2007, 02:25:53 pm
Sure i`m not mind ;) Your work is better than mine. But i think you should ask me about it before you put that pixelart here. Good job! Probably i`ll delete my work now.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #119 on: September 03, 2007, 02:38:37 pm
Probably i`ll delete my work now.

please don't.  i think i actually prefered yours, a bit more atmospheric and more realistic.  yeah it needs a bit of improvement/a bit of tidying, but so do a lot of other pieces.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 02:40:25 pm by Feron »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #120 on: September 03, 2007, 11:33:57 pm
Congratulations and awesome job to all who entered!  Also thx to Panda for collecting the entries!  Mockup Frenzy #2 starts....TONITE   ^-^

Offline Fingerfoods

• Barq's Root Beer is delicious
    • View Profile
    • fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Reply #121 on: September 04, 2007, 11:33:59 am
Sure i`m not mind ;) Your work is better than mine. But i think you should ask me about it before you put that pixelart here. Good job! Probably i`ll delete my work now.

I meant to say that I was just showing it, not entering it.

Otherwise it feels like a waste, just letting it sit somewhere on my computer.
Follow my blog!
fingerfoods.tumblr.com