AuthorTopic: Spriting Isometric  (Read 4429 times)

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Spriting Isometric

on: November 08, 2005, 06:58:46 pm
Given the necessity to develop on my iso spriting skills, I decided to set up this thread for the display of isometric sprite samples, as well as give everyone an opportunity to discuss the works and/or try some sprite animation out for themselves. Let's get this started. On with the samples!

Thanks to FaeryShivers for helping to acquire these. Excuse my ignorance, since I'm not sure where all of these are from; I'll be listing them by number:

#9 is a sampling from Nippon Ichi (Disgaea, La Pucelle), showing their blobbing methods for character creation. I find them a little suspicious, but the main problem is a lack of information on how the move from early blobbing to the full animation of the sprite, which is not shown.

Feel free to post other items
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 02:03:04 pm by Peppermint Pig »

Offline Lmnop

• View Profile

Re: Spriting Isometric

Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 10:44:30 pm
holy crap pep!
extremely nice work (and to you FaeryShivers aswell) on getting all these examples *saves them all*
The mechs in #23 and #30 are great, as is all the stuff.
I've been meaning to start gathering references for iso, as ive never attempted characters in that perspective.
awesome stuff.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 11:15:16 pm
Some noteworthy ones for me

1: Gotta the love the indiana jones one, excellent pallette and depth

4: Everything fits, pallette, shape, extremely cute

8: Great depth and volume, everything is spot on, this is one to learn from people

26: Excellent case of character design. By keeping the hat and backpack huge you create personnality and hint the fact that he's still a kid

27: In this piece we can see the use of inverted AA, something recently coined by st0ven, it's slightly different from selout, and allows you to use a more cg technique, without worrying about edges. Notice the hue shifts too

35: Nice use of highlights on the armor.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 11:19:17 pm
isometric sprites arent much different from any other sprite.. they basically are the same thing, but instead usually try to express the 2:1 step ratio on the common directions between the forms of the sprite. Basically you can get an isometric sprite if you align everything according to the plane of the standard surface(if the surface is like so(or the gravity is pulling down in this angle according to the camera), then the character or object standing on it should be based upon those things and should be drawn accordingly).

basically, its just a matter of defineing where you want the viewpoint to be, and which direction the character is faceing(if there are limited direction, which there usually is in isometric art..), and then draw the character doing whatever it wants to do.