AuthorTopic: Contra 4 DS - Developped by WayForward  (Read 58558 times)

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Re: Contra 4 DS - Developped by WayForward

Reply #70 on: July 03, 2007, 07:02:54 pm
Spread fire seems to be as bad-ass as ever. The running animation is pretty tight too. I'm already prepared to buy this. SuperC was MY first game. It was the game that was mine and nobody elses. I also put a label on it.

Offline Ed Oscuro

• View Profile

Reply #71 on: July 03, 2007, 10:10:35 pm
Will Contra 4 be localized as "Probotector" in Europe btw?
Speculation here, but...I would be a little surprised. As far as I know starting with Legacy of War (developed in the UK) it's been changed to Contra, and I believe it's remained that way through Neo Contra. Not sure.

Also, don't forget Operation C which also got Probotector-ized, although the Game Boy Collection release (with the cool color game selection screens) seems to be the Japanese release of Operation C with only a name change in the title screen/selection screen (you'll notice that the mini-portrait is taken from the box art/sticker label of the Japanese release).

I'm just asking because it would make little sense to release "Contra 4" in Europe since there are no Contra 1-3 there.
Gryzor 2? :D Konami has made some odd changes to brand names at times for strange reasons, although since this isn't Igarashi we might see a more rational approach.

For what it's worth, I think Probotector 2: Return of the Evil Forces has a nifty title screen and the characters look cool.

The Mega Drive Probotector was a low point, though - butchered the character selection.

I prefer the original men in Contra, but it would be great to have the Robots as secret unlockables.
I second this motion. It was great that the developers of Hard Corps paid homage to Probotector by throwing in Browny; surely throwing in a few robots as "extras" wouldn't hurt the feel of the game.

What I would like are character-held weapon models that change depending on the weapon (generic weapon models are lame), and I'm also a fan of Super Contra-style weapons that resemble the actual one. Of course, that can lead to confusion...it'd be nice as a menu option though.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 10:17:29 pm by Ed Oscuro »

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #72 on: July 03, 2007, 11:36:52 pm
first WF game for Snake. Woohoo!

Odd seing people descussing this after being hush-hush for so long. Good to know the work is paying off.
I'm loving the retro poster (... though the rather disgruntled sir with the bandana has some issues with his trigger hand)

I reckon the vids are from the beta build?

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #73 on: July 04, 2007, 12:09:31 am
Gangsta' guy to the top left has no idea of how to hold a gun if he can't hold it gangsta-style.

"How do ya aim this shit. Mufuggin mufugga."
' _ '

Offline Ed Oscuro

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: July 04, 2007, 06:12:16 am
I can't even tell what gun it is. If you want a laugh, check out the topic I made on 4chan (it's worksafe, at least thus far)'s Weapons board: http://zip.4chan.org/k/res/604021.html

Not EXACTLY the help I was looking for, there. Anybody want to take a stab at guessing (Mad Dog?) Vin and Lance's weapons?

Edit: Haha, now I don't know if I should be crediting Lee N or GoNintendo.com:

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/contra_poster_2_dsf.jpg

Gonna keep my eye on them...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 08:12:46 am by Ed Oscuro »

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #75 on: July 04, 2007, 08:30:38 am
Clockwise from top-right:
L85 (SA80)
undersized MP5 (maybe an N, or an A3/A5?) with EO sight
MP5 (same as above, but not as undersized) with EO sight
bastardised MP7

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #76 on: July 04, 2007, 09:51:36 am
I knew I had seen the top-right guy's weapon before and it's quite obvious that it's a modified Disel Electric Locomotive model 37.

The proof:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 09:54:27 am by snake »

Offline Ed Oscuro

• View Profile

Reply #77 on: July 04, 2007, 10:25:34 am
Clockwise from top-right:
L85 (SA80)
Note that it's missing the scope!

undersized MP5 (maybe an N, or an A3/A5?) with EO sight
Now that I've looked at it some more, it looks like a trick of perspective - check out how big the weapon is compared to their heads in both. I'd guess this is an MP5N-A3, or an MP5 A3/A5.

MP5 (same as above, but not as undersized) with EO sight
MP5-A2, I believe. Doesn't look much like an EO sight to me (here or in the last one), but it's definitely a sight similar to that on Lance's gun. Tacticool!

bastardised MP7
Pretty much what I thought. Glad to see I'm not going insane. Somebody suggested it was a JaTiMatic, which I had already considered and dismissed as completely wrong.

Anyway, back to your regular Contra 4 discussion, then!

Offline Millenium

• View Profile

Reply #78 on: July 04, 2007, 10:36:53 am
I have just looked quickly all over this thread. Correct me, but I haven't seen anyone mentioned Contra: Hard Corps . I believe this one was the greatest contra game ever released, basicly with different endings, cool graphic, several layers and detailed environment. One of the fact that it was the greatest for me was the 3 live bar(well actually only in jap version, eng had only 1). It was easier to kill all those bosses in lots of cool environments. And another thing was the explosions! There were lots of explosions. In addition It was fantastic to play with each character which were different in look, weapons, even abilities as for example browny which was small and you didn't have to dodge all those bullets heading to you.

Offline Ed Oscuro

• View Profile

Reply #79 on: July 04, 2007, 11:16:44 am
I have just looked quickly all over this thread. Correct me, but I haven't seen anyone mentioned Contra: Hard Corps .
Contra: The Hard Corps is right up there for me. I'm not sure if I like it more than Contra III in general, but the stage selection is a plus (even if it's handled kinda awkwardly in-game via a prompt).

A lot of people rag on it as being "not Contra" in terms of gameplay, as there are more bosses, although these work similarly enough to Contra III. Never bothered me, but it's definitely a departure for the series. Contra 4 seems to follow Contra III's approach for battles; fewer single minibosses, more "waves" of enemies. Of course, people also complained about the extreme difficulty (the US commercial had a kid being turned through a grinder into hamburger, which seems only a small exaggeration!), and people who know about the hit bars either complain that we didn't have them or dismiss the life bars as "not Contra" (although the MSX2 Contra had them, and in Super Contra the heroes use "lives" rather like hit points because they don't die until they run out of "lives").

Graphically, Contra HC was a big departure...the visual style is not as serious and there's quite a few visual gags/simple looking machines in there. They really made use of the Genesis with stretching limbs made out of individual sprites and other graphical feats based off the game's style.