AuthorTopic: Contra 4 DS - Developped by WayForward  (Read 58903 times)

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Re: Contra 4 DS - Developped by WayForward

Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 07:02:18 am
Don't hate me, but my Contra love was killed after discovering Gunstar Heroes(the original, not the subpar GBA remake). With that said, I wish you guys well. This is huge. Contra. Konami! I'm really looking forward to seeing your monster designs. Make sure to update us when you release vids and pics to gamespot/ign.

Offline konjak

• anger.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 09:41:47 am
garsh, as with all of these games, it's a learning curve, and there's nothing unfair in Contra 3 to me. I keep hearing people think Contra 3 is so hard, but since it was one of the few games I had as a kid I can still beat it and to me it's the EASIEST such game.  :)

I'm more worried Contra 4 will be too easy to accomodate more people. I have no idea about the difficulty of it.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 01:15:24 pm
haha, i agree with konjak. When i was a kid we only had Megaman X, Mario Land, Zelda and Super Contra for a pretty long time and we played the hell outta those games. I've finished super Contra on the hardest difficulty as well as normal difficulty two player game alone one hand on each controller, so better not tell me that it's "impossible"  :lol:

The one part that i didn't like on the very hard mode in super contra was the desert worm thing that had the rotating sandpit floor. Holy shit i almost puked after finishing that.

[goofing]
As for the ps2 games, Neo Contra showed what contra really is all about, even though some of the weapons totally break the balance gameplaywise. It had the manliest cutscenes in videogame history. Watching those wil turn boys into real men, hell, it'll even turn girls into men.
[/goofing]

About the graphics, super Contra and contra Hard Corps had really creepy monsters and worn out overall style, so i think that's easy enough to nail, especially seeing how at Wayforward they always have the graphics part well done. I think the next issue of nintendo power has some screenshots, and from what i saw it seemed really good.

Now it better be hard enough to make grown men cry like sissy girls, or ELSE *shakes fist*

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 03:54:37 pm
I've done some small jobs for this thing as well, looks like several indie freelancers have been contacted for the project. From what I've worked with, I get a slighty more classic feel than say, Neo contra. Rounded machines and pipes, more retro future, but not quite steampunk. But then, I guess the next press-releases will show wether this is the standard or not.

Balancing diffeculty is always tricky. I've played Contra 1 NES, Super C and Alienwars and the latter is the hardest so far. Since failure in shoot 'em ups are deaths rather than other penalties, it's more a question of how you're going to be attacked and to what level. Dodging bullets is not the same as timing jumps or getting stomped at by some huge monster. The norm on consoles is usually low diffeculty, or that deaths don't burn as bad. Of course, pleasing fans are another factor. Guess we'll see the result come deadline.

Offline Lee N

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 06:10:31 pm
First (shitty) scan.. far from pixel perfect, but it gives you an idea of the style they're opting for..

Looking forward to see the first direct feed images sometime soon.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 06:19:06 pm
ME WANTS, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 06:38:33 pm
looks cool  :)
btw, that scan has that dark purple colour in a few places, that special shade of dark purple that makes windows play videos if they're behind it
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Lee N

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 07:15:10 pm
btw, that scan has that dark purple colour in a few places, that special shade of dark purple that makes windows play videos if they're behind it
I've never had that happen.. sounds more like a bug with your drivers and the way they're treating overlays rather than windows itself.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 11:13:46 pm
No, it's windows itself.

I too, want to play this game.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Lee N

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 24, 2007, 09:01:36 am
No, it's windows itself.
Off all my years running windows, I've never had that happen.. and it didn't happen on that particular image either. So it's something wrong on your side, since it shouldn't happen.