AuthorTopic: Feature 05 - Generic 16 color palette  (Read 201050 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Generic 16 color palette

Reply #40 on: June 20, 2007, 09:46:05 pm

same experimentation, my variation.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:56:00 pm by ptoing »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #41 on: June 21, 2007, 05:49:15 am
whoa dont get all touchy on me now helm  :D I meant that more as a regret, like I missed my chance. The whole fad was a good thing, it made people  aware that it was posible to build ramps in more than one way FAR more than my ever-repeating preaching on "hue-shifting" ever did.

Ha, Ptoing is such a good sport, I soooo should've said "ptoing's c64 craze" instead  :P

hrm, I thought one dark warm shade and one dark cold shade would be enough, but I am starting to see how that is a problem O_o
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 07:05:45 am by Conceit »

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #42 on: June 21, 2007, 08:43:58 am
Thanks for the crits!

Here's an experiment.

I merged Yellow with Skin as suggested. I want it to work with explosions (which are common) but maybe it's a bit too yellow though. But Yellow is used for both Lego heads and Smileys, so maybe it's possible to get away with it. Real skin color is more towards pink-gray of course. However, maybe I can offset the yellowness with the skin shadow color which is purple.

I lightened the skin shadow color a bit to bring it closer to the skintone yellow, and take it away from the red so it can work as a higher value for that.

Light sky blue (cyan) was greyed a bit. it's more realistic as far as skies goes, and less obnoxious to look at. Doesn't work aswell as a plasma/energy color now though.

I lightened brown, and maybe the dark brown as well.

I did stuff with greens cuz I now had a new color cuz of the skin-yellow merge. I'm a bit disgruntled by the fact that I don't have a good mid tone green now. If I want a pure green object, ZX Spectrum style, I only have a light green and a dark green. The eye is indeed more sensitive around the greens. I think, to avoid banding, one can use dithering with advantage, since plants tend to be gritty. The sky on the other hand is more sensitive, so deliberate banding or decorative clouds will have to be used. I recall Ptoing did a mockup with cloud mountains which worked rather well.

I kept my darling darks.

I pretty much stole Helm's tree.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:56:34 pm by ptoing »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #43 on: June 21, 2007, 12:14:35 pm
Ha, Ptoing is such a good sport

Yes, he's very efficient. You should see him work the ovens with a smile  ;D

Arne:

I am happy with this. I don't see anything potentially breaking at a first glance. The yellow skin color is fine for a SPRITE... we'll have to check it out for a bigger portrait or something, but I suspect what with the grays and purple shadows and stuff it'll be okay. Barring a few test runs in different mockups, I'm ready to give the difinite thumbs up.

Will mockup later tonight.

edit: I really don't think anyone will ever need a skin tone they cannot find, as the way I see it, all of the 'yellows' ramp can substitute, dither, and enhance the two 'main' skin tones.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 12:18:15 pm by Helm »

Offline tomas

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: June 22, 2007, 12:57:35 pm
Really nice palette you got there. I had to do something with it so I whipped up this quick mockup. Crits are very welcome.

EDIT: I opened a new thread for this in case someone wants to c&c to stop this thread from potentially being cluttered with irrelevant posts.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:56:51 pm by ptoing »

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #45 on: June 22, 2007, 02:30:10 pm
Potentially stupid question: we've got 16 colors including black, correct? What happened to transparency?

tomas, that looks nice so far, but seems rather unfinished, notably the cliff edge, dirt, the tree (highlighting on right side is too uniform, needs to be broken up a bit, and the foliage needs the silhouette broken up a tad, imo).

Offline Lee N

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: June 22, 2007, 02:46:05 pm
Potentially stupid question: we've got 16 colors including black, correct? What happened to transparency?
Transparency can be any of the available colours. On a system where you are allowed to use 4 colours per sprite and tile, the 4th colour is used to define transparency leaving 3 colours to paint with.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #47 on: June 22, 2007, 02:47:03 pm

This is a global palette, not the palette of a single sprite. Any sprite that uses some of the colors of it can reserve one (one that obviously it will not use on the sprite itself) and set it in code to transparent, if one were to program something using it.

edit: vanquished

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: June 22, 2007, 02:49:22 pm

Because tranparency isn't a color technically. You have to know that a picture with a palette is just a "bit-map", you have for each x and y coordinate a value from your palette. And transparency means one specific value which isn't drawn from the computer.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #49 on: June 22, 2007, 02:52:03 pm
We need more people to explain this.