AuthorTopic: Smile 2007 - Part 2  (Read 88248 times)

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Smile 2007 - Part 2

on: June 17, 2007, 08:15:48 am
So, here we are onto the last part of the smiley activity.
The winner entries that made it up to here are:

Junkboy's template

Lawrence's template

Snake's template (the tilted squares)

Now the task here would be to make the remaining smileys to complete the sets. Ideally, it would be neat having someone fixing the templates (the AA on snake's template, or perhaps polish Lawrence's a bit more, etc) before carrying on, but anyway leaving that aside, those participating should try to nail the style of the template they decide to work on as accurate as possible.
If there are multiple submissions for the same expression, only the ones that are more loyal to the original style and have more quality overall, will be included to the final set.
Feel free to contribute for the set you like the most, but they will be added for use only once we get all the smileys needed to qualify it as a complete set (so, uhm 42 or so smileys).
If you decide to make original smileys, (read as: expressions unexistant in the current smiley set) they will only be added if someone makes that same expression for all the other sets.

Ultimately, if anyone decides to make a full set of smileys (regardless of it being based on the winner entries or not, meaning you can make smileys with your own template or templates that were submitted in the first part of this activity) it will be considered for addition.
So if you are up to making one yourself (or with someone else, or whatever) go ahead.

Rules:
  • These are the expressions you will be working on: 
    ;D :( :'( ??? :huh: ;) :D :mean: >:( ::) :o :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :ouch: :crazy: :hehe: :lol:
    :n: :y: :yell: :blind: :angel: >:D ^-^ :B :0' 8) :watev: :noob: :yay: D: :durr: :wah: :0# :sigh: :sry: :lala: !yus!
  • Your submission must imitate the style of the chosen template as accurate as you can
  • Multiple submissions are always welcome
  • All designs must be your original work, completely

There will be no due date for this, but as mentioned, sets will only be added for use once they are complete.

So with all that down, feel free to start pixelling and all.
And have fun.

Disclaimer: By submitting smileys, you are agreeing and allowing Pixelation to use them as we might see appropiate. While we won't use the submissions for economical purposes (e.g. sell it), you shouldn't expect to be given credit whenever your smiley is used.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 06:39:31 am by Panda »

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Re: Smile 2007 - Part 2

Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 08:50:41 am

Tried to redo the AA on snakes smile. I also made an empty template.

And here is my entry:
/
Remake of the blind smile
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 08:55:45 am by dragonrc »

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 10:35:32 am
Here are my contributions.

Lesson: Never save in PNG when there's a mask you don't know about which magically deletes everything under it.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 10:40:40 am
I don't even know how that can happen, but data loss is always  :'(

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 10:59:26 am
I think the Programmers of the encoder/writer decided that, "Hey, isn't it a great idea if we like delete bitmap data under the mask, because it's like not showing anyways, and we can save space that way since blank data is easier to compress."

I don't think I'll be using PNG again as a general rule. Better safe than sorry. This loss of data does NOT show up on the preview when saving, like it does with jpg (artifact) or gif (color reduction).

Sorry for being OT. You can just pretend I posted 3x5 smileys there, or was it 4x4? Who knows.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 11:02:29 am by Arne »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 11:03:29 am
I use png almost exclusively and I've never ever lost any data due to how it's programmed. Perhaps it's photoshop fucking up there, not the format?

Anyway, yes yes, OT.

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 03:07:56 pm
And that's why you should always save your files in the native format of your program, and then export as GIF or PNG afterwards.  :crazy:

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 03:09:59 pm

Here's the ones I made in the other thread.

Making more now.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 03:12:13 pm by Faceless »

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 05:14:13 pm
>:(
The angry one

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 07:02:01 pm

Tried to redo the AA on snakes smile. I also made an empty template.

they need to have a transparent background.