AuthorTopic: FAQ  (Read 87432 times)

FAQ

Can I just rename my image from "sprite.psd" to "sprite.gif"?

No, you can't simply change the file extension in order to make it work. You must use a program to convert this file into one of the accepted web formats. If you must post a special file, upload or zip that file and post it as a text link. This includes media such as movies (AVI, MOV), since most people do not want to automatically load large files or view movies embedded into web pages.

FAQ

#21 Over 40 views and no reply yet?

Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 04:12:31 pm

I posted a new thread with artwork and it has 40 views, but nobody has replied! What's the deal?

Be patient, and for the love of all that is pixel-related, DO NOT double-post to bump the topic unless it has fallen off the first page. Pixelation has many lurkers who merely browse the site and do not post, so chances are that 35 of those 40 hits may be random visitors passing by. Writing a critique takes time and effort, so members might view your thread and check out your work, but reply later in the day or week when it is convenient for them.

FAQ

#22 I'm ready to make a game, where do I go from here?

Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 04:15:13 pm
I am a l33t artist, ph33r my mad skillz! I'm ready to make a game, where do I go from here?

Check out the Employment section, or visit one of these excellent coding sites:

Game Developer’s Refuge, GameDev.net, tigs, Gamasutra, and many more…
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:11:03 am by miascugh »

FAQ

I want a cool rank now so people respect me!!! Can I pad my post-count with lots of short replies so my rank is higher?

No. If you do, you'll have your post count dropped back to 0 and you might risk being banned. No one likes when people pad their post-count because it fills the forum with wasteful topics and posts, taking away attention from useful comments or critique. While the occasional one-liner won't get you into trouble, if you do it constantly you will get on everyone's bad side and the moderators will have to step in.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 07:53:32 pm by miascugh »

FAQ

#24 What are Announcements, Pinned topics, and Locked topics?

Reply #24 on: June 13, 2007, 04:20:39 pm
What are Announcements, Pinned topics, and Locked topics?

If something big is currently happening or coming up soon on the board, it will be found as an announcement. We also list important activities and events in the news box located at the top of the forum page.

Pinned topics rank under Announcements, but float above normal topics and tend to advertise a challenge or lesser priority Announcement.

Locked topics are threads which are closed to member posting for any number of reasons, such as flame wars, off-topic content or general stupidity, outdated content, or for topics such as Rules or the FAQ which do not require feedback on. Typically topics closed for violating the rules will include a reason for it being closed.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 07:53:44 pm by miascugh »

FAQ

#25 How old are the members here?

Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 04:22:09 pm
How old are the members here?

The average age is about 15-18. There are many older artists, some in their 30's, but the majority of members are around 16, or so it seems. Most of the moderators and administrators are in their 20's. And no, you don't have to wait until you are as old as the senior members of the board to be good at Pixel Art: There are several very young members who are excellent artists. In this game, it is practice that counts, not age.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 07:53:53 pm by miascugh »

FAQ

#26 Help me! I need a tutorial!

Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 08:58:54 am
Help me! I need a tutorial!

Pixelation has a variety of useful links to resources and tutorials compiled into the Tools, Resources and Linkage Thread -- it covers the most popular ones. Please note though, that tutorials may be a pointer in the right direction, but they are no shortcuts - improvement comes with practice. Also keep in mind that what is described in tutorials is no universal truth, rather one of many approaches, and that you have to find out yourself what you can learn from it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 07:54:02 pm by miascugh »

FAQ

#27 Where can I satisfy my off-topic needs?

Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 09:06:20 am
I spend more time surfing the Internet than most of you spend being awake, where can I share my latest off-topic findings?

Feel free to post your findings, bare your soul or just tell us how awesome you are in the current Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread, located in the General Discussion. Spamming, harassment or trolling is not acceptable at any rate.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 07:54:18 pm by miascugh »

FAQ

This place rocks! I'd love to link to you. Do you have an official banner?

Sure do! Just be sure to link to the following:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net

Images are listed below:

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 11:10:17 am by Crow »