AuthorTopic: The CC suggestion thread.  (Read 136045 times)

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Re: The CC suggestion thread.

Reply #30 on: September 07, 2007, 04:37:10 am
I'd love to see some CC for Metal Slug or even Cave Story (even thought it's technically not a commercial game). The CC Challenge for Metal Slug would be just down right splendid. $.02

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #31 on: September 07, 2007, 07:26:45 pm
Super Double Dragon for snes.

I did that on the Spectrum back in 1987- boy how time flies
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #32 on: September 17, 2007, 02:27:23 am
I'd love to see some CC for Metal Slug or even Cave Story (even thought it's technically not a commercial game). The CC Challenge for Metal Slug would be just down right splendid. $.02

Enjoy!  http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=1394.0

Offline Skulkraken

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: September 25, 2007, 11:01:43 am
I would recommend not choosing Pokemon Diamond/Pearl. The overworld in it is mostly flat polygons textured to look like sprites, and battles also seem to use 3d a fair bit, so there's not actually much pixel art to critique.

How about critiques of some amateur or fan games?

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: September 26, 2007, 03:15:07 am
Ristar (bunch of screenshots in the link).

I think Ristar will be a popular CC, because the game is just one huge hue shift.

Offline Jigsaw

• お前はもう死んでいる。
    • View Profile
    • Josef Axner: Digital Art Portfolio

Reply #35 on: October 01, 2007, 12:09:08 pm
I would like to nominate Landstalker for the Megadrive. It's one of my favourite MD games, it has nice visuals but I always thought the tilesets were perhaps not as great as they could've been. Would be curious to hear other's thoughts on it.

I hope this does not fall under the "no chit-chat" rule, but I just wanted to point out that Super Ghouls'n Ghosts (Choumakaimura) is a SNES game. The game pictured in Omenith's post is the arcade game Ghouls'n Ghosts (Daimakaimura). Just thought it would be a good idea to clear up any potential confusion.

Offline Skulkraken

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: October 09, 2007, 06:12:25 am
I want to nominate the recent Final Fantasy remakes on PSP (the art style of the remakes seems quite a bit different from the style used in the older games), but I haven't been able to find any good screen caps that could be used.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: October 28, 2007, 07:16:49 am
I want to suggest a point and click adventure game, maybe Monkey island 1 because they had some restricted palletes on some version that they used well for melee island. Also they have human animations, so theres some stuff to talk about there.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #38 on: October 29, 2007, 05:30:02 pm
I want to suggest a point and click adventure game, maybe Monkey island 1 because they had some restricted palletes on some version that they used well for melee island. Also they have human animations, so theres some stuff to talk about there.

Excellent suggestion! I want a CC of this as well. M1 was the last hand pixeled game by Lucasarts and has been one of my major influences in terms of using colours and creating landscapes and scenes. Each scene is full of atmosphere and the camera angles are really varied and wild at times, and the animation is top notch.

I'm not quite sure which one would be the definite version for CC.. maybe not the 256 colour version.. this is the Amiga version which uses a 32 colour palette:

« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 05:57:51 pm by JJ Naas »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: October 29, 2007, 08:27:19 pm
It looks like color-reduced art with a wee bit of touch-up, but still not in some places (where some dithering would've been nice, but now it's just a bunch of garbled stuff :O)
' _ '