AuthorTopic: Pixelation Complaints  (Read 21897 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Pixelation Complaints

Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005, 02:57:24 pm
note that bumping a thread that has literally done it's course, even if you reply with the best c&c ever, is not right. If you bump a thread by last year with critical information about my art heh, it's been a year. Chances are I've figured most of that stuff out already. Pressing critique goes to newest and what the artist considers his best work always.

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 31, 2005, 03:06:35 pm
If replying to old threads is a problem, you could (try to) implement a system where when the user is satisfied, they can close the thread and give credit to whoever helped them. This would add points or something to the user. This system is over at the allegro.cc forums, but I'm not sure how easy that would be to implement in this type of forum. I'm not sure if you could program it in.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 31, 2005, 03:50:10 pm
In the myriad of forum design discussions I've had with people, a points system such as that was considered. Actually, Zoggles and I came up with a concept for a new PixelZone in which there were a series of sections with different economic conditions. How much you pay to post, how many points would then be available to responders, possibly a pot in which you can reward your most helpful critiques of your work. Even extras, such as purchasing pixel 'gifts' that would be visible in a user's profile... The regulatory system was meant to try to nudge users in such a way that forum sections would have similar traffic and you'd be more likely to get critiques from your equals or betters. If new users were neglected, then economic conditions would be modified in order to compensate. That kind of micro control was seen as somewhat negative in the sense that it was an additional element that we had to focus on in running the forum, but after considering a few scenarios, we found that it was a fairly good system for motivating most users.

But... Pixelation is not that system. :P
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 03:52:21 pm by Peppermint Pig »

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #13 on: July 31, 2005, 06:45:54 pm
I don't think there's really anything to discuss. The best way to put it is that I and a few others didn't see eye to eye with how the forum was run by some of the mods. Explanation beyond that is just going to turn into he said she said stuff.

- Adam

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 05:49:18 am

It was for a contest, an essay contest... there was no graphical choice.  If that wasn't directed towards me, oppsie.   PS Judging for the contest will start in a week!

XD... I wasn't talking about that kind of stuff, but I mean the rants and opinons threads, like this one.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 01, 2005, 07:27:49 am
I have a question for everyone. Do people prefer that threads last forever, or that they are deleted with age?? Would archiving (and/or locking) old threads be a better way to save the information while preventing posters from bringing back long-expired topics? What about some sort of checkbox to suggest archiving?

I'd prefer it be automated... but any ideas are welcome here.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 01, 2005, 08:06:51 am
I'd prefer archiving, because many times would I be reminded of certain pixel piece and then I would go search for it, so I'm sure that'll happen again.  Perhaps if a topic is locked after 30 days of no replies?  It would be nice if the original poster could unlock it if they so desired, but I suppose that wouldn't really be necessary.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 01, 2005, 09:10:51 am
Archiving would be nice.
It's always fun/interesting (and even educational if so!) going back to old threads, and show how several stuff should be done, or just as a time killer.
I think that as a check box should work nice, those that want the thread archived just have to tick it, and those that dont, can have the the threads deleted when they go off a few pages.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 01, 2005, 09:19:23 am
Should such a checkbox be available for anybody to click, or should a group of people be set up to make that decision? I think it might be possible to set such an ability based on a user's rank...

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: August 01, 2005, 09:23:07 am
What about everybody being able to click it, but having to pass a mod control or something to be archived?