AuthorTopic: The Colored Line Art thread (Doodles also Allowed!)  (Read 273176 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: The Colored Line Art thread (Doodles also Allowed!)

Reply #90 on: August 13, 2007, 03:29:40 am
very cool, Xion. I'll have a try soon as well.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #91 on: August 13, 2007, 08:10:16 pm
upon a suggestion from Mr. Atomic, every color is 50 now:

I've always found it fascinating how changing colors affects the perception of adjacent colors. I mean seriously, I learned about that like, years ago and the fact still amazes me.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #92 on: August 13, 2007, 09:51:29 pm
Something to help out people whose minds are boggled by this whole process:

Left is Xion's original.  Center is a fully desaturated (Ctrl+Shift+U in Photoshop) version - 50% gray (obviously).  On the right is Image->Mode->Grayscale version (Alt+I+M+G), which uses the old black&white TV algo to maintain something like "true" brightness (technically i think called luminance), separate from the lightness or value according to HLS or HSV histograms in art programs.  Though I think in photoshop there is an option to "preserve luminance" in some of the dialogs?  Not sure...

Also, kudos xion, wicked cool, i can't wait to try one as well :D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 09:54:49 pm by AdamAtomic »

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #93 on: August 14, 2007, 12:39:41 am

Attempt the 50 Brightness challange in Pro Motion. Very tricky, but cool. Also, I took a look at Xian, it seems that his work isn't only 50, seems to be higher and (possibly) lower..

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #94 on: August 14, 2007, 12:41:58 am
Photoshop would disagree with you, as illustrated in my post immediately previous to your own.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #95 on: August 14, 2007, 12:58:25 am
What Ryan drew was what I understood was the point, to have all colors at 50% brightness. The colors in Xion's drawing vary in hue, saturation and brightness. ???

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #96 on: August 14, 2007, 01:23:40 am
Maybe it's a matter of how each program handles lightness, Xion's checked out fine in GGale

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #97 on: August 14, 2007, 04:36:14 am
If you open Xion's piece in photoshop, and you set the saturation to zero (either through Adjust->HSV or Adjust->Desaturate) you'll see the entire image becomes 50% gray.  Xion's piece DOES vary in luminance, which was the whole point of me posting what I posted in the first place...I guess I didn't do a very good job :P  That is the whole point of the exercise though - that hue and saturation DO affect luminance, while they have no effect on value.

EDIT - Ryan, I have no idea what is up with your piece.  It doesn't check out to 50% gray either through desaturation OR by running the grayscale convert on it.  Whatever you did, I think you might have did it wrong...

DOUBLE EDIT - Yeah promotion's "brightness" slider is definitely different from the "value" slider in photoshop.  I assume the HSV and HSB algorithms differ somewhat, though it doesn't seem to be according to the grayscale conversion's algo either.  Which is the confusing part!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 04:42:27 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #98 on: August 14, 2007, 05:31:09 pm
this is mostly based on the brightnesses of the RGB lights though, not phyisical properties of color.  It's interesting, but the fact that the green light is brightest followed by red then blue, with the averaged (desaturated) gray being just brighter than red is what's accounting for most of these differences.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #99 on: August 16, 2007, 08:40:56 am
doodle:

seven colors
made it a while ago...and its been staring at me...clogging up megabytes ever since...been wanting to pixel something new, but i keep this junk keeps getting in the way...maybe a public display of it will get it out of my system

it was going to be an ad for a hot sauce...never got that far

on to other things then... :lala:
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.