AuthorTopic: Pixelator: Snake!  (Read 88558 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Pixelator: Snake!

Reply #80 on: April 23, 2007, 10:49:33 pm
yea, I was thinking this should just be a BIG blood-orgy type artfest, and ABUSE the hell out of that "use your previous art to make the current entry" idea.

I think the whole competitivity thing works, but it shouldnt be key to winning, it should only serve the function of creating tension and perhaps generating topics. like say, challenge one you get matched up with someone and you have to do a vehicle for a character of his. so let's say the guy's character won your duel, but you still made a kickass entry...I say you should get to get on to the next round, but for the next round you will have to make up an enviroment for the character. Had you won HE'd have to make a race track for your vehicle....

so, in short winning duels gets you exposition, but quality work is what keeps you alive

Like, look at BOB for instance, he was still creating art while all the people who had passed were not...that doesnt make much sense to me, if you're good and you want to keep up you should be in.

maybe the tasks should be less daunting, but more frequent. Us artists suck at managing time, I think 2 weeks is too much freedom, specially if you're not gettin paid :p

Like maybe first part of the challenge only requires a...sillouethe, then after 3 days alll of a sudden you have to animate it....strange twists like that rock, the mockup thing ruled you can be sure of that =)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #81 on: April 23, 2007, 10:52:38 pm
i think the tiling challenge was hard, to fit in a week would be extremly difficuly for those of us with less experience in the field.

I think entering could be done differently.  instead of first come, first get picked, how about everyone/anyone who wants to participate has one week to submit a piece of a pre-determined nature (e.g 64x64 avatar, 100x100 sprite...) and then the best 32 submitted are chosen.  So no 1v1 duels for the "first" round, just the top 32 go into the competition, and then a series of rounds like the original.  In the event that less than 32 are submitted then it could perhaps go to the top 16.

it could also be done with a series of groups, like the World cup.  For example four people in a group and each week for 3 or 4 weeks there is a small challenge.  each entry being graded 1, 2, 3, or 4.  The two people with the most points from each group proceed into 1v1 battles.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #82 on: April 23, 2007, 11:11:54 pm
conceit - im a fan of that idea about quality work being able to move on, even if it lost the battle.
Im going to play with that idea, im thinking, not necessarily different challenges like you mentioned, rather, you would be able to come back from the graveyard.
great idea :)

youd like to see different rules and twists added, as the time progresses in the challenge?
so day1, make a silhouette
day3, animate it
day5, colour it
day7, final entry.

something like that??
hmmm, im just afraid people may miss out. not everyone has a chance to get to a computer everyday, so having rule changes throughout the week might cause some hassle.

i was kind of thinking that pool thing too feron.
or maby just maby... 1v1v1 battles, or something of the sort ;) or teams..
but that depends on numbers.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #83 on: April 24, 2007, 12:13:24 am
There definately is absolutely no reason for people to have two weeks. Most people made their entries in the last 3 days or something.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #84 on: April 24, 2007, 01:28:03 am
well, yeah that's what I meant flabber.

ok...what about setting it up so there IS a week between challenges, BUT there are 3 days of the week within which everyone should be working on it, and everyone is required to send progress every one of the 3 days

« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 01:31:20 am by Conceit »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #85 on: April 24, 2007, 02:05:34 am
ooh i like that idea, conceit.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #86 on: April 24, 2007, 02:47:13 am
There definately is absolutely no reason for people to have two weeks. Most people made their entries in the last 3 days or something.
DiSaGrEeMeNt OcCuRs!
I spent my whole 2 weeks as much as I could. And there were some days, especially during the end, when I just couldn't manage to get to a computer. 2 weeks is good. It makes up for discrepancies such as someone having time the first week but not the second, and their opponent being vice versa.

Also, I don't think there should be any bannination punishment for failing to submit. The guilt and disqualification should be enough. (You can tell people felt guilty when they didn't get it in on time). Plus, I mean, life happens. It can look peachy-keen one minute, and you think you have a free month, but then WHAM! Family issues, or computer crash, or someone asks you to marry them, or you get an unforeseen, heavy workload. I dunno, I mean, you just can't predict stuff like that, and I don't think you should be punished for being lack of clairvoyance.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #87 on: April 24, 2007, 03:19:28 am
The idea of teams makes me feel warm inside...

And i dunno Helm, i kinda agree with Xion. :angel:

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #88 on: April 24, 2007, 03:41:55 am
whoa,

teams?

that would be <3.

how would teams be formed?

and the 2 weeks thing, although people still miss the deadline, it gives others a chance to find the time to do it. in 3 days, it doesn't leave you with many options if you're busy.

Offline buloght

• View Profile

Reply #89 on: April 24, 2007, 06:37:52 am
It was said during one of the rounds it's a shame some great artists fall so early due to being up against some awesome people early, and the number of non-entries is a problem. How about having still 5 rounds, but for each round everone is against everyone and the people with the most points go through, up until the semi-final, in which it becomes 1on1. it eliminates non-entries since more than half of each round would prob enter. Just a running thought.   :-\

[edit] Congrats to snake! And mirre! The centaur girl must be one of the coolest characters to come out of this compo.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 08:50:28 am by buloght »