AuthorTopic: Pixelator: Snake!  (Read 88580 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Pixelator: Final (ENTRIES)

Reply #50 on: April 18, 2007, 07:14:11 pm
one of the biggest problems was that snake had a background that had almost a full value range. i think he did good with what he had.
definitely would have liked to see mirres finished.

great job both of you.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #51 on: April 18, 2007, 07:54:39 pm
   Damn you, Mirre! You caught the curse of the laziness! I blame myself personally. I believe I may have passed it on to you during our extremely short battle...one that I wasn't actually a part of. It's contagious damn it...(joking...)

And Snake, I think it looks great. However, I would have actually darkened the closest layer of foreground(contrast is the word of the day...). The characters themselves, especially the baddy, get lost in the tiles/mid-level. I'm actually seeing 4 layers of background, now with the parallax effect in place. To be honest, I don't quite understand the aesthetic choice of the 3rd level of parallax( Not the tornado background, but the one after it. I thought you could have used another great design from your iso mock up, like the tubes, or fog...or something ). It looks rushed, to be honest ( just that level, the other backgrounds/foregrounds look amazing, to be honest). However, this wouldn't be out of the norm, seeing as how you explained that you were actually rushed with 2-3 days to finish this. I find that amazing, as anything I would have done would have came out exactly a 1/3 of awesomeness in comparison to this. Great job anyhow.

By the way, I believe Adarias has a suggestion as to how Snake could compromise his chaotic ordeal( which I still think he handled it fairly well...). I'm interested to know how exactly it would have been done in your eyes, Adar'...
my back hurts...

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #52 on: April 18, 2007, 08:28:13 pm
I think it would be interesting if snakes was made into a game mainly to see the different techniques that could be used to create sense of perspective. The paralax works fairly well, if the background were to be animated and the screen centered on the main character it could make for a very distinct looking game. I wonder if you would even have to make any changes colour wise.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Re: Pixelator: Snake!

Reply #53 on: April 18, 2007, 10:29:14 pm
Congratulations Snake
excellent entry - and great battles throughout the whole challenge.

Mirre you did a great job too.
Its a shame you couldnt finish. It may have held more of a mockup feel..

Great challenge everyone, thanks for participating.

Is there anything you would like to see for next time?
anything you want to see changed?
anything you liked about this?
feel free to discuss ideas and such now - as to help me gather my thoughts for when i host the next one.
wont be for afew months atleast though.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #54 on: April 18, 2007, 10:38:04 pm
Well done snake, i adore your mockup, even if it is quite busy. Mirre, yours looks great too, sucks you couldn't finish  :ouch:

Flaber, i thought the whole 'bringing everything together at the end' aspect was a totally wicked idea. Next time you might wanna (if you didnt anyway) get someone to review the rules for a round before you put them up, so that there won't be as much confusion when it comes to it.  :y:

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #55 on: April 19, 2007, 01:14:16 am
I just want to commend you for doing such an awesome job coming up with these challenges.  :y: :y:
Must say I'm with Wick; The way you tied everything together in the end was great.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: April 19, 2007, 01:16:46 am
I like how everything was tied together, but it might have been a bit unfair for anyone who did something unconventional. I guess it all worked out though. I'd like to see more restricted palettes. Not necessarily any particular ones, such as c64 or cga, etc. But it's cool to see how people interpret and use colors.

Also, i think it would be cool to do a pixelator 'lightning round.' Basically it's like a mini competition, either it could be elimination, or just head to head competitions, and it would span only a few days. (so the signups would have to be strict, only do it if you know you have time, etc.)

Offline motherboard

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: April 19, 2007, 07:49:34 am
Congratulations Snake. Both of your pieces were great.

@ Flaber- I liked the way you organised all the rounds to fit into the final. Good job organising all the competitions.

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #58 on: April 19, 2007, 01:14:38 pm
Great entries indeed. :) Snake's a bit busy, but task was much tougher to combain all the pieces especially closet monster,  i'd say - done great, very impressive=)
Mirre's mockup is very promissing, wish you could finish it one day.=)
Congratulation, guys. :)

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #59 on: April 19, 2007, 02:38:43 pm
Great job you two  :y:. I really enjoyed everyone's work and the creativity they pulled through. I also wish to see a final revision of your mock up snake, if time is available <that's probably just me>   :)