AuthorTopic: Pixelator: Snake!  (Read 88561 times)

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Pixelator: Snake!

on: April 03, 2007, 08:42:33 am
i Mock

Current standings:

Final: i Mock
Description:
Create a platformer / sidescroller mockup using your previouse entries.

Restrictions / Rules / Guidelines:
-Canvas size: 240x160 (bigger width than height)
-NO animation
-Each of you must use your own background of the sky you just created - as your background for the mockup - no edits or changes to that.
-Next, you must convert your monster you made in challenge 1 into an enemy sprite (i dont care size).
-Then, take your female you made in challenge 3, and make that your main character sprite.
-Now, for tiles - you can look at either tileset, made from each of you, and convert those into 2d sidescroller tiles. The tiles dont need to be exact replicas, but inspired from them. So say, I could inspire some tiles from both snakes and mirres iso tiles.
-Add any extra things you think would add to your mockup ex: life meter, score counter, etc... that kind of stuff.
-Do not post in any other forums, keep your image to yourself until i post the duels
-Once you submit there is no changes / alterations allowed to be made after you submit.
Time:
-2 weeks
Submitting
-Do not post your image in this thread. PM me your entry.
Judging:
-how well sprite designs are based off of original concepts
-Overall composition
Deadline:
Tuesday, April 17 - 7am GMT
(find out the time conversion for your timezone)

Snakes Entry:

Mirres Entry:

If there are any questions feel free to ask, and ill answer them.
Best of luck to everyone
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 10:33:00 pm by flaber »

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Re: Pixelator: Final (Rules)

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 10:28:03 am
Oooh.. this idea is genius!

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 10:37:58 am
Indeed a great idea! Very cool, really looking forward tot he results.

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 10:42:04 am
-Canvas size: 240x160 (bigger width than height)
-Each of you must use your own background of the sky you just created - as your background for the mockup - no edits or changes to that.

Isn't this going to be a problem for Mirre? As you all know her backgound was 160x240, not 240x160.
Other than that, I think that this idea is the best you've had so far. I'm expecting some pretty astounding mock-ups from both the contestants. Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 10:44:11 am by Mr.Modem »
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 11:05:36 am
Oh man that's one badass competition.
Good luck to both of you!
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 12:50:09 pm
Why not just let Mirre use her size and Snake use his?  Snake's can be more sidescroller and mirre's more platformer, but the judging points will be identical.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 03:41:10 pm
Well, it might be unfair to Snake if the judges look through their fingers like that, since it was me who messed up by not reading the rules properly. So I don't think it's anything but fair that I get punished. I could have been disqualified for breaking the rules last round too you know.

I think I can do something nice even if my background is tipped over to the side, don't worry. But if the judges do let me have it the way it is, then I'd just gladly appreciate it.

Okay, so if I understood the rules correctly; then I can use snake's tileset for inspiration too, and vice versa?

Man, my mockup is going to look really weird with my tentacle monster and then the centaur for character sprite (you can change sizes and stuff for both the monster and female character right?) ...well, at least it's going to be one unique mockup!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 04:00:01 pm
I think you are supposed to repixel them, not use the actual ones you made in the mockup.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 04:20:40 pm
I like this idea.

I think it will be hard for both to combine things and still make it look good.
good luck to both of you

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 05:12:47 pm
However, it was supposed to be 240x160, not 160x240, which might cause some hassle later on ;) )

Ahh. So that's what it meant. Now me gets it. "Leo gets. Whatever you guys want, Leo gets." (lethal weapon reference...).

This is going to be...interesting. Heh, I wonder how some of everybody elses pieces would have turned out, had they remained or lasted to this round. I remember mine was the Easter Bunny, crappy alien tile set, Wip pregnant alien lady, and my fake sky. Mine would have been so damn ugly. I honestly think Snake has his hands full in a way. I mean, his "amazing sky" was a twister, his woman was extremely wierd(but cool, none the less) his monster a piece of furniture and ectoplasmic goo, and a toxic, futuristic tileset. Where as Mirres, in my opinion, may have an easier time as her pieces during the competition were almost similar in style, and quite possibly story wise. Take Helms's quote from round 2,for example:

" Mirre's small mockup has the nicest palette alteration in the set in my opinion. It's a bit small and level, but what's there is very good. It looks like her creature from round 1 could live in this little mockup."

It looks as if they were giving us hints all along...(Inspector B.O.B.'s the name...)

Good luck to you guys, and give it all ya' got!
my back hurts...