AuthorTopic: Viking Game  (Read 10517 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Viking Game

Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 07:50:49 am
what? you're animating us  :D

I just thought that was a random pic you put in :p awesome

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 01:31:02 am
Could we see a big mock with all of these tiles put to use?

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 04:02:11 am
Sure! Will have a proper update later, but here's a quick mock (with some new tiles).

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 11:41:21 pm
The water has been proposed as strange before, i feel the dark spots really detract from the softness of the rest of the tiles.
I would recommend light spots (i believe they're supposed to be rocks at the bottom of the steam?)
the tiles are looking nice so far, perhaps some dithering on the riverbank could help to make it look more dirt-y
If you plan to have rocks that the character can push, then i would suggest slightly hue-shifting the color of those, as all rocks currently share the same palette.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 11:58:58 pm
well I love it. I think I couldn't expect any thing less then this from you acctualy, but this is really cool. very professional and tight!
the only thing i could put the finger on is the  river. the fact that you go from blue to grass... and then have a brige instead of step stones...
the river is like "carved" in the ground right? I think we should be able to see some dirt on the sides. maybe some small rocks with a bit of foam around or just the stream effect.
anyways, it's you work and this is just an opinion.

take care,

Kazuya
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 08:32:04 pm
Thanks for your comments everyone.  :D

I agree that dirt on the vertical sides of the banks would be nice. I don't think I can agree with the spotty water issue, however. There needs to be some contrast between what the character can walk on and what it can't walk on. Identifying which stones can be moved is a good point and problem. As of now, I have some stones that are sprites, and the rest are either square walled stuff or sitting in the water. As far as the game goes, if you move a stone over water, it's no longer going to be able to move around and instead becomes a platform. If it's on the grass, then it's an obstacle. The sqare items are meant to be immobile, so shape does play a role in distinguishing what can be moved. Anyhow, it's up to the coder to use or not use them and I'm having some fun with these. Maybe if I added another highlight to the movable stones, they would pop out better.

Another update. Added some crop fields, included the house, added a Helm sprite, etc...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 09:15:25 pm
haha! x-ecutioner style!

Offline Sdw

• View Profile
    • SDW Developments

Reply #17 on: October 24, 2005, 03:48:47 pm
Here's an example of the graphics in use in the game: