AuthorTopic: Tools, Resources and Linkage.  (Read 249254 times)

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Re: Tools, Resources and Linkage.

Reply #170 on: February 14, 2017, 07:58:38 am
Why do you need to fit more than once, though?
You don't, you only jot down the final ellipse of course but the fact that you have just one template that you can rotate/tilt/zoom freely in real 3D space makes it a lot faster to iterate different angles and sizes to find the correct orientation which fits it into a given square in a perspective grid than using a plastic template which has a huge number of different ellipses on it.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • View Profile

Reply #171 on: February 21, 2017, 01:35:03 am
Has it occurred to you to try with other shapes? This method seems applicable to any situation where you want to place a template shape in perspective. With a little sewing and some fishing line, you could also locate centrepoints or other dividers. I can imagine this being quite useful for things like buildings.

With a piece of clear plastic, you could generalize it further so you can simply draw a plan view on the plastic and rotate it to project it. I'm definitely going to try that.

I think the stability probably needs work though.. maybe adding two wires could help this?

---
On a separate topic:

I've posted about Harold Speed before, but I think these especially deserve highlighting:

James Gurney's review/synopsis of Speed's 'practice and science of drawing'. Chapter 18 here
and Chapter 19 here

Speed strongly emphasizes the importance of memory, especially in these chapters. He connects this to intentionality:

• "It is seldom if ever that an artist puts on paper anything better than he has in his mind before he starts, and usually it is not nearly so good."
  • "To know what you want to do and then to do it is the secret of good style and technique."
  • "Look well at the model first; try and be moved by something in the form that you feel is fine or interesting, and try and see in your mind's eye what sort of drawing you mean to do before touching your paper."

Intentionality is also generally emphasized:

• * "It is much easier to put down a statement correctly than to correct a wrong one; so out with the whole part if you are convinced it is wrong."
  • * "Try and express yourself in as simple, not as complicated a manner as possible."

This echoes in some ways thoughts that I have had, about the importance of cultivating short term memory, so that you can maintain awareness of many reference points and keep the picture accurate 'in your head' (thereby more easily attaining the goal of making the picture you actually draw accurate)

The practice of memory drawing also forces you to cultivate intentionality, since you cannot simply 'draw what is in front of you'. You cannot not-decide what is important when drawing from memory.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:23:27 am by Ai »
AA tutorial about handling irregular lines.

If you're not at least a little uncomfortable, chances are you're not learning that much.

Offline Franrek

• View Profile

Reply #172 on: February 28, 2017, 05:26:08 pm
Does anybody know good program to make normalmaps based on brightness of the sprite? I know there's Illuminator but I can't afford it right now so I would prefer something free.

Offline questseeker

• View Profile

Reply #173 on: March 03, 2017, 03:14:57 pm
Emulating the "bevel" mode of SpriteIlluminator requires simple computations that you could write with generic tools like G'MIC or Paint.Net plugins:
  • Computing the distance of interior pixels to the nearest outside point
  • Turning the distance into a fake height for each pixel with a nonlinear transformation
  • Normals from the resulting 3d shape
SpriteIlluminator's "emboss" mode directly computes normals from applying a linear filter to image data, it should be even easier.

Everything else amounts to generic image editing of the heightfield or of the normals.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 08:13:54 am by questseeker »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • View Profile

Reply #174 on: March 17, 2017, 12:04:37 am
"the most extensive treatment of linear perspective available online, and one of the most comprehensive tutorials available in any textbook currently in print"

It lives up to its summary. If there is anything at all that you are confused about about perspective, read this.

EDIT: Extremely coarse topic summary:
* circles of view and their role in controlling perspective distortion
* projection in 1, 2, 3 point perspective
* projection in isometric, axonometric, dimetric, trimetric
* projection in curvilinear 1-point perspective
* projecting complex solids, curves, spheres and ellipsoids
* light projection (ie. shadow casting)
* reflection projection
* rainbows

A more detailed topic index is given in the link.

Caveat: do not read if you don't feel you have a basic grasp of perspective. It goes into such technical detail that it is likely to be offputting if you lack experience to relate it to. In that case you would be better off picking up Scott Robertson's How To Draw, or Andrew Loomis.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:27:38 am by Ai »

If you're not at least a little uncomfortable, chances are you're not learning that much.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • View Profile

Reply #175 on: March 27, 2017, 09:50:58 am
Skittlefuck posted Level Up youtube channel, about digital painting, in Daily Sketch thread. Since he hasn't put it here yet, I felt that it should be here.
I've only watched a few episodes yet (they are long -- like 3 hours!) but it has helped me to focus more on abstraction rather than insisting on defining everything (a bad habit I think it is easy to acquire from practicing pixel art too much to the exclusion of other media.).

Offline Ai

• finti
    • View Profile

Reply #176 on: April 10, 2017, 07:37:42 am
mpv+EDL
(Just FYI, mpv is a media player)

mpv's EDL (Edit Decision List) uri format allows you to essentially splice together sections of video clips on the fly, treating the result as one clip that you can seamlessly move through.

Using the --merge-files option demonstrates the simplest example of EDL (concatenate all files end-to-end) -- the actual URI played is like
Code: [Select]
edl:///somefile.mp4;anotherfile.mp4;yetanotherfile.mp4
A more advanced example might be
Code: [Select]
edl:///somefile.mp4,10,10;anotherfile.mp4;yetanotherfile.mp4,30, which would play 10 seconds of somefile.mp4 starting at 00:10, then play all of anotherfile.mp4, and finally skip to 00:30 in yetanotherfile.mp4 and play the remaining segment.

Posted this because easy adhoc compilation of references sounds good to me :)

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #177 on: April 13, 2017, 06:47:29 pm
I made a tutorial on how to pixel a simple tree. Might be useful to someone!

image version here http://imgur.com/Zvm9gMa

Offline Ai

• finti
    • View Profile