AuthorTopic: Mage Knight art-dump, lots of sprites & info  (Read 98892 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Mage Knight art-dump, lots of sprites & info

Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 10:48:35 am
Man, throwback to the ancient times when massive Tsugumo posts were commonplace :D

Good stuff. Have to read it when I get some time.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 10:49:13 am
I'm glad you're back. This rocks and the spells are quite inspiring to me ^^

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 01:47:31 pm
Oh my god, that is so completely briliant. Completely terrific. I want your babies! (I'ts been said to much, I know)

Offline Tsugumo

• View Profile
    • Bulletproof Outlaws

Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 02:01:37 pm
isn't using Gaussian blur pretty much cheating?

Keep in mind that the only parts gaussian blurred are the glows.  Like the actual characters are still 32 (or less) colors and done the traditional pixel way.  I guess you could pixel a glow effect pixel by pixel but...why?  heh.  Maybe as a spare time thing, but on a project that's costing money to develop it's all about finding the fastest way possible to do stuff.  But ya, if you got rid of the glow effects, the characters would all be old-school style.  If you look close at like, a guy that has a glowing hand, you'll see the hand itself is still clean-pixelled, it's just the outside around it that has glow shades (so it's like making a glow effect and stamping your solid sprite down on TOP of it, the sprite stays clean still).  I actually HAD to do this regardless because the game has palette swaps of the characters...they all have at least 3 palette swaps ('cause of how the tabletop game works, they have different "levels" of the same guy).  So if the whole sprite were gaussian blurred and came out as like 95 colors, it'd be fucked up to try to palette swap, heh.

If we had had enough time I would've had all the characters have glowy shit 'cause I dig it, maybe on a future project!

Steam Knight and Steam Mauler are definitely my favorites. They have so much character and I just love their designs.

ya they weren't even the best designs I saw in the figures...I was really impressed by some of them.  There are like, a zillion MK figures (we have a shitload of them at the office now), and some of them are generic "wolf man" type stuff, but most of them are like "and that's an old voodoo chick with a vulture on her shoulder, a lantern, and some kind of voodoo flagpole sticking up from her back...wtf?", but fun to draw.  On that Warbeast growling, those are chains hanging from his nipples.  Like wtf?  I saw a few figures that were even cooler but didn't get into the game 'cause the guy picking the chars had to pick them based on gameplay (what skills/attributes the figure had) more than just look, to keep it close to the tabletop game.  Was "how hard will this be to draw?" a factor in choosing the characters at all?  of course not.  :(  haha

How long did you have to make all of these? You talk about time constraints, but when I think time constraints I think "omg Tsu once made a game over Labor Day weekend", but I imagine you define it as a bit longer than that. Right?

Basically we have like, say, a year for the project...determined by people more important than me that have money, heh.  Then the guy designing the gameplay says "ok we need like, 30 characters".  Then I say "haha fuck off".  Then he reminds me that he's paying me and I say "errgh, ok..." and we figure out how to cram the characters into the timeline, which characters to do in what order, etc.  The programmers need placeholder art to be doing their thing at the same time too, so that has to be figured into it...basically I did up one full character, and we guesstimated from that how long each character would take.  Unfortunately, I used a simple character as the estimating one (I was young and foolish, heh), so while the small simple characters took the right amount of time, the big complicated ones took longer.

So basically I have a schedule of "every character takes 4 days to make"...if a character takes longer than that, then either I put in a ton of overtime, or we realize "ok, this schedule is insane" and we figure out a way to speed it up (getting other artists to add the details, having someone else do parts of the game that I would've done, like icons or something, where they don't have to match my style of art, etc.).  At the moment I'm working on an RPG-ish game where I have something similar...except it's for a smaller system so each character is only taking like a day at the most to make.  Same time though, I'm doing all of the art for it, so there are tiles and spell effects and stuff to do as well as the characters.

Organizing is a bitch...when I was doing hobby stuff I didn't have to worry about any of that, and I'd just wing it and go with the flow.  But when development time costs money and there are other projects to do and stuff, you have to know in the first week of the project "ok this robot is going to have 6 frames of animation when he shoots" even if you're not going to be actually drawing that robot shooting for another 2 months.  On the one hand it's a pain in the ass, because it's like "well what if we decide halfway through that we could add this really cool thing" and it's harder to improvise and throw in cool shit, but on the other hand, especially working with a team on a deadline, it's a life-saver to know exactly what you have left to do and approximately how long it'll take.  I don't LIKE being organized and making schedules, but I understand why they're important and I'm glad that we do it, heh.

anyway thanks for the comments, all!  If I find anymore decent stuff I'll dig it out...this project was like a year ago for me though so I'm not sure where anything is, and I'm dumb and name my directories like "blahblah" and "junk3" and shit.  bad habit, that one, heh...

- Tsugumo

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 02:03:19 pm
yet another inspirational novella from tsugumo ^^

i really like these.  my only suggestion would be to use the smudge tool over the gaussian blur because it is equally fast and obtains more natural swoops.  wonderfull stuff here, i'm definately archiving the url :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 02:52:09 pm
You rock at spell/skill animations.. I truly admire your work allready. Awesome  :y:

Offline PoV (aka DrgnMaX)

• I can read your mind
    • View Profile
    • Click this and find out

Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 03:47:26 pm
Awesome.  The goods are out now.  It's great to see you were allowed to share.

Offline Checkworth

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 06:12:49 pm
Aww, that BAMF animation is great.  ;D

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 06:18:03 pm
very educational!  all the info about where you had to cut corners and why was super interesting, i'm having to tackle a lot of the same concerns lately, thanks!  the art rocks too, especially that upward fire blast thing and 64px lightning effect, you got the timing just perfect on those.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 06:31:24 pm
very educational!  all the info about where you had to cut corners and why was super interesting, i'm having to tackle a lot of the same concerns lately, thanks!  the art rocks too, especially that upward fire blast thing and 64px lightning effect, you got the timing just perfect on those.
Indeed, I agree. I love how it goes up really fast, then goes slower, and then Bwaaahm! It hits the ground. The timin on that robot is perfect too btw, I love how those smokes and sparks come from it, excellent stuff.