AuthorTopic: revamping my first pixel-project  (Read 5933 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

revamping my first pixel-project

on: October 02, 2005, 06:23:19 am
I went through my old programs today and found the program that "started it all".  It was a game called 'Evil Animation' and it contained my very first pixel art.  My eyes burned at the sight of the horrible art and i couldn't bare the thought that I was once a newb.  to make me feel better, i decided to redo the entire game as well as all of the art.  I know, I know, I should be working on my pirate challenge (or my alien WIP), but this was very fun to work on.

This is the comparison of my old tiles (left) and my new ones (right):
(yes, I was the kind of newb that thought the spray can was the solution to everything)

Here are all of the tiles i've made so far:  (more to come)

and here is a demo screen showing how it'd look when tiled: (and the old screen)

C+C and whatnot is, of course, always welcome in my threads
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 06:40:55 am by Indigo »

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Re: revamping my first pixel-project

Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 06:56:25 am
Massive improvement obviously, um... only thing I'm not liking about the new tiles is that box has the weirdest perspective ever...
Maybe try chaning the Z-axis to a horizontal line, or just doing away with it...
Also it could probably use some more texturing, as at the moment it looks like it's been popped out of a plastic mold.

The bricks are really nicely done. ;)

Edit: Also, you might want to create a cliff tile that has a bit of grass growing out of the side of it, just to add some variety to the scene.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 06:59:33 am by Faceless »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 05:09:37 pm
Holy Crap, man...
Now you're, like, really good and then you were, like, really bad. :P
Anyway...
Massive improvement obviously, um... only thing I'm not liking about the new tiles is that box has the weirdest perspective ever...
My thoughts exactly.

...those bricks are pretty.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 04:49:36 am
alrighty, an updated screen here...  I fixed the box, expirimented on a corner tile to add diversity (not too sure if i like it yet), I fixed the outline on the sides of the dirt to make it easily seen when overlapped, and i made a cool little beta char i'm playing around with.  I decided not to add texture to the box just because I purposely wanted to style of this overall to be simplistic.

"...and then you were, like, really bad."
thanks for reminding me.   :P

C+C again
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 05:08:26 am by Indigo »

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 05:13:09 pm
Wowsers that old screen was shite! So a big improvement there. Nice colours and kinda' reminds me a bit of Ken Fejer's stuff.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 06:42:41 pm
Pretty nice. One crit tho: The earth tiles look pretty much similar on the inside, it's visible that you based them of one starttile.I'd say spice stuff up a little and uniquify more.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 11:46:14 pm
it's pretty amusing to notice, that your dirt tiles are actually more repetitive and brick-like that your brick tiles.

IF you really ARE going for simplicity, drop that idea of texturizing the whole foreground.

it IS ok to leave large gaps of just basic colors, design your tiles to serve only as variation among a vast amount of just a flat color, that will look both more vivid and varied, and convey a simpler look.

by the way, dont limit yourself so much about having everything be simplistic, look at mario 3, the look is very simplistic but that doesnt keep them from making the wooden ships look rightfully wooden. or if you are looking for something more modern there is Boktai, the complexity is entirely dependant of what the context requires, dont dumb down your game by conveying poorly your simplicity premise

if you imply something should be of a certain material, go trough the full implications of that promise and make it look like that material.

Offline ptps

• I is n00b. ph33r me. Now.
    • View Profile
    • PTPS/gallery

Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 11:35:14 am
Wow, awesome tiling skills. I can't pick where one ends and the other begins :D

Offline dreamisle

• Software Engineer/Puzzle Author
    • View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 02:45:04 am
Very good, but you should still work on that box. Assuming you're viewing it from a corner and you can see part of another side, that left side should be squished somewhat instead of still normal view. I'd also like to see you do a mockup of a new GUI for time and whatnot, and maybe a nice cloudy subtle background. If you really wanted to do some extra work, try making a parallax background layer (a forest or hills/mountains?) if you actually make a game.

Offline NyanNyanKoneko

• View Profile
    • Playing With Yarn

Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 08:28:07 am
I am stealing your tiles to test my retro remakes game while I wait for Evan to come up with his own tile set.  Heh heh.   8)