AuthorTopic: Pixelator: RESULTS (round 1)  (Read 273068 times)

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Re: Pixelator: DUEL MATCHUPS

Reply #350 on: February 05, 2007, 04:16:00 pm
Thankyou for that Helm, was very enjoyable to read. Was quite surprised by some of your decisions, but was mostly agreeable.  :y:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #351 on: February 05, 2007, 04:16:42 pm
ZoSo is the name a certain person in a certain band got by a certain satanic figure of authority.

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #352 on: February 05, 2007, 04:18:48 pm
Ugh, I was embarassed with my entry last night and I'm even more embarassed now. If I make it past the first round, I gotta stop procrastinating, y'all are serious.

Totally beautiful work, everyone. I'm in awe.  :'(

(oh, and Solid Idea, it's not over yet - Helm's just one of the judges  :))
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #353 on: February 05, 2007, 04:20:26 pm
Delgneith VS 9_6
9_6's entry is very cute. There's a few issues with lightsource, and the 'to-dark' shadows don't appeal to me. The design is good, however, and so is the pixel arty polish. With a bit more attention paid to AA and coloring this would be one of my favorourite entries thus far.

I agree with the lightsource issues, I just see that the head of it would need to be darker amongst other stuff but I have stared at it for too long now so I will just leave it as it is.
What's wrong with the AA? I've spent a long time smoothing this out and thought I didn't do too bad.
I was also quite fond of the yellow-green-red colours... (anything but purple :P)

But yeah... I'm glad I survived the attack of that invisible... thing... ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 04:23:50 pm by 9_6 »
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #354 on: February 05, 2007, 04:24:38 pm
Mainly the swirly pattern in the snail residence, also over the eye that line needs more aa, tendrills of the psy-eyes over their background of shell, that sort of thing.

The colors are not bad at all, but their shading seems to go too fast towards very dark shades, makes me think of flash photography contrast, which I don't think suits this one.

Offline D39

• Dan3099
    • View Profile

Reply #355 on: February 05, 2007, 04:24:58 pm
Awesome, Helm. That was fun to read  :).

I agree with you on everything but duel 13 and 14. 

I just think Rydin should have won because it looks alot better, but I'm sure you're right about the technique superiority in Blick's. 

As for Kubol's, it looks lackluster to me design-wise.  Reminds me too much of a certain hopping video game character, and the outlines in it add alot of ugliness to the piece.  Sherman's just looks cool. And much more menacing as a monster.

Great entries everyone! I look forward to watching the rest of this.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #356 on: February 05, 2007, 04:35:28 pm
Feron's piece reeks of Henk Nieborg. Which is a good thing. I really like this entry though I feel a little more could be done with making the floor mesh better, and the anatomy of the beastie is suffering on the legs a bit. But nice palette, a very foreboding atmosphere too. I salute you for making your piece actually eerie.

Henk = God.  Anatomy has never been my strong point, i will probably add wings and extend the canvas before i submit it over at Pj.  Thanks for the kind words.

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #357 on: February 05, 2007, 04:39:25 pm
Man, I should have done a bigger piece. And I agree, big time LOLS on the anatomy for mine. I was rushing to fix a problem I saw and ended up making the legs look terrible.

No doubt, though, I'll be improving this later tonight when I get home.

And maybe start working on the other 5 ideas that I rejected whilst coming up with this one...

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #358 on: February 05, 2007, 04:43:27 pm
ZoSo is the name a certain person in a certain band got by a certain satanic figure of authority.

Led Zeppelin?.. Jimmy Page? O_o.. If you mean that band, i dont think it has something to do with satan. If your refering to another band.. well then. Thats not what my name means xD.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #359 on: February 05, 2007, 04:45:14 pm
Wait, wait! I need to make it perfectly clear that the people I nominate for winning aren't the final winners! There's more judges that will post their critique soon. I'm just one of them! Don't get ahead of yourselves.
Well, with all those advanced techniques he used, I don't think I really do stand a realistic chance against Snake. His techniques are just far more refined then mine, he has much more experience. It's not all that odd I lose to him.