AuthorTopic: Stuff.  (Read 5563 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Stuff.

on: September 24, 2005, 07:52:32 pm

I had an Idea for a game in which you play as the 1st character. It'd be like a mix between Zelda 2, Mario, Metroid, and Cave Story. You'd travel with your partner as heroes for hire, vanquishing dragons and dark lords for a fee, y' know?
The 2nd and 3rd things would be basic, roaming enemies. Yeah, I just realised that the Goob is blindingly saturated. The purple guy sitting down is your partner, often found in a pub, drinking or something. He's a bit more powerful than your character, but rarely fights until the very end.
Then there's a chair.
After that comes the big, blue rock collector. He's pretty powerful when it comes to defense, but very stupid. Pretty much a recurring boss, every time you encounter him (about 7 times), he'll have a new move.
Then theres a green and red cat-type creature. They're a fairly peaceful race wanting nothing more than to be left alone in the plains they call home. Semi-sentient, some can trade with you and provide advice, but like cucoos from zelda, if you attack one, they'll skeletonize you in seconds, or at least do considerable damage 'till you leave the map.
After them comes the Trader. He can sell you weapons and pretty much anything else at the entrance to every dungeon. He's also the only human in the game, and is involved in a zelda-style trading quest.
Then, of course, my Terror Raven cameo.
I tried keeping them all 5 cols or less. The only one that exceeds that limit is Mr. Purple, with the cup in his hand.

Oh, drat. Something went wrong in the image conversion and now Mr. Blue has just one leg.

An attempt to use only the default MS paint pallete to create a pic. A zombie shooting another zombie. I tried to use as many colors as I could, but there were a few left over in the pallete that wouldn't fit anywhere.

A dude with an afro.

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Re: Stuff.

Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 10:35:46 pm
Wow, I really like it all, but the one thing I don't like on the afro guy is the small diamond on the hair. I will comment more later, i have to do something :D
I.....am......me............

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 12:15:52 am
i like the blob, and where you trying to go for this for dithering practice to get used to indigo's dithering?
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 02:03:50 am
i dither?  ....the only thing i remember dithering on is that lizard character i made a while back with red hair and a cap.  and maybe some tilesets too.

as for the art;  I really like it - especially the purple dude 1st column second row down.  He is awesome.  One thing that i definately am not liking is the colour choices.  it just needs all-around tweaking.  nothing too big though

Offline istvan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Joint Gallery

Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 02:29:13 am
I dig the style aswell. Sort of reminds me of the graphics in 'A Game with a Kitty', especially the colours. You can check out the game at http://www.faind.com/, second post down.
The idea is also quite neat, I just think the main character is perhaps a little too simple, which tends to make him look uninteresting.

where you trying to go for this for dithering practice to get used to indigo's dithering?

Was this in relation to the Pirate Challenge? If so, I think Zach must've just mixed up me with indigo. But the dithering is quite nice, although somewhat inconsistent because some characters have it, others don't making them look flat. Also with such small sprites I'd even question using dithering at all, even with such a small colour count.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 04:07:36 pm
Thanks, peeps.
Actually, these were made a few weeks ago, before the pirate challenge was announced, so they're not really for dithering practice.
One thing that i definately am not liking is the colour choices.
Yeah, I never was very good at choosing colors, which I'm working on now. Does anyone have any tips for choosing palletes, or is it just an acquired skill?
Also with such small sprites I'd even question using dithering at all, even with such a small colour count.
I dithered some parts to give a feeling of roundness, mostly. I guess I could've gone without, but it just felt right at the moment. If this ever does become a game, (very unlikely.) I'll fix that up.
The idea is also quite neat, I just think the main character is perhaps a little too simple, which tends to make him look uninteresting.
Well, he'd start out with no equipment in the beginning of the game, but would be able to buy armor and other such things later on, which would appear on his persona.
Wow, I really like it all, but the one thing I don't like on the afro guy is the small diamond on the hair.
Thanks, but what diamond...?

Anyway, thanks for all the C's and C's.

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 04:48:59 pm
I.....am......me............

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 10:33:56 pm
I dig the style aswell. Sort of reminds me of the graphics in 'A Game with a Kitty', especially the colours. You can check out the game at http://www.faind.com/, second post down.

where you trying to go for this for dithering practice to get used to indigo's dithering?

Was this in relation to the Pirate Challenge? If so, I think Zach must've just mixed up me with indigo. But the dithering is quite nice, although somewhat inconsistent because some characters have it, others don't making them look flat. Also with such small sprites I'd even question using dithering at all, even with such a small colour count.
]

yah i did exactly that, srry! >.>;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY