AuthorTopic: MGS Vulcan Raven :update: Mantis  (Read 10300 times)

Offline SplatPixel

• View Profile

MGS Vulcan Raven :update: Mantis

on: September 22, 2005, 10:02:53 am
didn't feel like starting another post just for a WiP. heres a quick line art of Psycho Mantis. i might do a couple others today but i might be a lil busy sleeping or playing all the new games i just downlo... i mean bought, heh. i thought it might be a cool idea to have all the villain type character all next to each other, with a big line of soldiers behind em and the huge metal gear behind the soldiers. this way i can still do a huge sprite and and also do small ones.

some people want me to try small sprites so heres what i got...it still probably not small enough for some of you but i need to take baby steps on this. doctor says if i go from large sprite to small too quickly i could have a heart attack. i got this idea from MadToaster here http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=246.0 i was thinking about doing some of the other character from mgs to help me practice at small sprites, what do you guys think?

:update:

« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 10:37:30 pm by SplatPixel »

Offline PyroPiranha

• "Leading Ninja Authority" - Ninja #2350228
    • View Profile

Re: MGS Vulcan Raven

Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 10:10:54 am
Okay, so you've impressed me.  I love this, do more like this :P The only crit, and its a small one, pherhaps some shadowing on the pants where the hand/arm is over.  Besides that, yeah...I hate and envy you...
Lazy bastard.

Offline LuciferianSoul

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 12:36:58 pm
Yeah, the legs seem a little unfinished, shading-wise.
I'm not a big fan of sprites with the large heads and small bodys and even smaller legs. Though you pulled this one off very well.
His arms seem to be holding the chain gun out a little far, though.
Also, what's strapped on his back?
The tattoos look very good, and the muscle and shading of the skin is all done very well.
Very neat how you used the skin tones again on the gun, it makes it look like the metals light source is the sunset or something.

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 06:13:15 pm
little more folds in the pants, and work on the knee pads a little more :D
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline SplatPixel

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 10:53:07 pm
PyroPiranha - lol, your one of the people that ask me to do a small sprite huh. i think u even threatened me with a knife, heh. hows the hand look now?

LuciferianSoul - yea i'm not a fan of the big head, small body and smaller legs thing, but i think its good for me to try some new and different. did some work on the legs but i don't really want to change his arms, i like em. thanks for the comments and crit. oh yeah, when i was looking for reference pictures of this guy i read somewhere that his gun is from a fighter jet. i guess the thing on his back is the part of the plane that holds ammo.

Zach - thanks for the crit. how does it look now?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 11:02:10 pm by SplatPixel »

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 11:58:01 pm
made the colors a little wormer, but tried to keep your desaturated fell you to it
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 02:13:56 am
My major qualm is that his skin is a lot darker as are his tattoos. The face doesn't real seem like him either. I guess I'm saying he's all around too white.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 06:41:07 am
good color count.  you need one more shadow tone between darkest and black to give more options in the darker sections of the sprite - pants, lower edge of jet engine thing.  looks great.

Offline SplatPixel

• View Profile

Re: MGS Vulcan Raven :update: Mantis

Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 10:43:55 pm
Zach - that does look tight but i don't think hes that dark.

David - he looks pretty white in all the picture i found of him. i did change his face because in all the pictures he has this really goofy ass face, heh.

lief - cool, a crit from lief. u think so? when i'm not too lazy i'll try doing that, heh. thanks for the crit and comment.

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Re: MGS Vulcan Raven :update: Mantis

Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 11:05:44 pm
Great job on mantis, Greatest villian in metal gear games. Two things, I'm not sure, but I don't think that he is that skinny in the abdominal area, but I might be wrong, and I think his legs look a little fat. Really nice though, and I like the finished Raven.
I.....am......me............