AuthorTopic: some zelda stuff  (Read 5348 times)

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

some zelda stuff

on: September 19, 2005, 06:10:29 am
for a compo at a zelda forum
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline NyanNyanKoneko

• View Profile
    • Playing With Yarn

Re: some zelda stuff

Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 07:50:55 am
That looks really good. 

I think those sprites would be very well suited for icons and what-not.   ;D

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 09:29:54 am
nice.
 very nice

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 01:35:49 am
Couple things stick out to me on the right Link. One, the legs look messed. The upper part of the leg looks way too long compared to the lower below the knee. Looks like the upper part of the leg is maybe 2 times the length of the bottom. I'm no expert on human proprtions, but references seem to put lower and upper part of the leg at a 1:1 ratio. This brings me to the next problem with the arm which is also too long. It looks like you've decided to cut off the arm at just above the knee, which has worked out poorly due to the legs being a little messed in the first place. Fix the proportions on the leg and reapply what you did with the arm and you should be good. I think you should also bring the elbow to the same height as the belt as it seems a little low.

Kind of got a question for you to, I noticed some similarities in the colouring of this and your low colour avatar. Were you thinking about keeping the colour count low while doing this or is the low-colour feel something that carried over from using it as a base? If so I have a suggestion for the future. Something I like about low-colour pieces is how creative they can be by using seemingly impossible or awkward colours as highlights or shadows, such as using reds to shade green with orange highlights. You have a low colour count, but you still have all the shades per colour you would need without colour restrictions so it doesn't really seem like much of an accomplishment. So, in the future you might want to try to further restrict the number of colours, and try to include more of the colour spectrum.

@silver: Short comments aren't bad or anything, but do try harder at finding things to critique. And even if you aren't in the mood to do so, it's also helpful to explain a little about what you did like to let the artist know what they were doing right.

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 06:38:06 pm
Couple things stick out to me on the right Link. One, the legs look messed. The upper part of the leg looks way too long compared to the lower below the knee. Looks like the upper part of the leg is maybe 2 times the length of the bottom. I'm no expert on human proprtions, but references seem to put lower and upper part of the leg at a 1:1 ratio. This brings me to the next problem with the arm which is also too long. It looks like you've decided to cut off the arm at just above the knee, which has worked out poorly due to the legs being a little messed in the first place. Fix the proportions on the leg and reapply what you did with the arm and you should be good. I think you should also bring the elbow to the same height as the belt as it seems a little low.

about those legs, I noticed that I messed those up right after i posted them and haven't been able to redoo them, that and a some other proportions with the arms.

Kind of got a question for you to, I noticed some similarities in the colouring of this and your low colour avatar. Were you thinking about keeping the colour count low while doing this or is the low-colour feel something that carried over from using it as a base? If so I have a suggestion for the future. Something I like about low-colour pieces is how creative they can be by using seemingly impossible or awkward colours as highlights or shadows, such as using reds to shade green with orange highlights. You have a low colour count, but you still have all the shades per colour you would need without colour restrictions so it doesn't really seem like much of an accomplishment. So, in the future you might want to try to further restrict the number of colours, and try to include more of the colour spectrum.

I was going for kinda low color count, that still looked good, which I thought i pulled off with 10 colors plus transparency, i probly could have went with 1 or 2 less colors, which I might try when I redoo this.
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 07:07:55 am
 The colors are sweet of course. I love it, but I got just one critique. I suggest that you make him SD looking (Super Deformed). Big head as big as the body. Add tall eyes.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 04:11:56 pm
The colors are sweet of course. I love it, but I got just one critique. I suggest that you make him SD looking (Super Deformed). Big head as big as the body. Add tall eyes.
WTF!?
No! Don't do that!

His sheild looks kinda wierd to me, but I dunno why.
Anyway, I really like these. You should make some more in different poses, like drinking some Lon-Lon milk or weilding biggorons sword.
Good-good.

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 04:52:11 pm
Do not under any circumstances make him "SD" It looks great the way it is.
I say you should animate him, and that you should do some poses with the boomerang or something.
I.....am......me............