AuthorTopic: The Gates of Oblivion - Scene  (Read 5204 times)

Offline Kryon

• View Profile

The Gates of Oblivion - Scene

on: September 14, 2005, 05:41:09 am

This is a part of what the "main door" of my website will look like. It still has some way to be done tho, but I like how this came out.

I included the RPG Maker XP hero Alexis cuz my website will have a lot of stuff concerning RPG/Game Making.

I just added a fireflies or shines detail I wanted to have since the beginning, I also added the RPG Maker 2000/2003 hero Alex.

Alexis/Aluxes ŠEnterbrain
Alex ŠEnterbrain

Hope you guys like it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 05:43:58 am by Kryon »

Offline Locrian

• View Profile
    • BURHTUN: online portfolio

Re: The Gates of Oblivion - Scene

Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 06:46:24 pm
Background looks nice, if a bit monotone.  I think you went overboard with the sparkles.  Try less and/or not so bright.  The characters don't match the perspective of the background or even each other, and they completely ignore the lighting, so they look tacked-on.  Make your own characters or draw your own version of these characters.  Even just two silhouettes would work. 

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 07:18:27 pm
Agreeing with loc here. The charas look pasted on, silhouettes with a nice rimlight would look way better and more atmospheric.
The bg could use a nicer colourramp imo.

here made a lil edit - 8 colours now :D

« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 07:52:31 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Kryon

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 10:56:25 pm
Locrian: I also drew the characters. Those are my version of the original Aluxes and Alex. ;D
ptoing: looks much better indeed. I wanted to give importance to the chars, but I think it was a bad idea. I'll try something new.

Thanks for the comments peeps. ;)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 05:18:36 am
much better. Try a cold blue tint instead of red.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 06:57:55 am
 The colors rock. They are very sub zero kind of colors. Also the characters should be perspective to the BG in the first post. i really like it!

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 01:40:37 am
are the sparkles reflections from crystals/gems embedded in the rock, or magic sparkles of some kind?
if the sparkles are reflections from crystals/gems, you need to make sure they are not occurring too far back into the darkess, where they would not actually receive any light.  If they are actually lightsources (as opposed to reflections) then you might need to render this emitted light onto the surrounding or adjacent rock.
if the exit to the cave is to outside, or safety (which it maybe if welcoming people into the website?) try some warmer yellow tones from outside.  You will notice this technique in movies also, less color & bluish tints = non home like, yellowish warm tints = comfortable/homey.  definately go with the edge glow on the characters.