AuthorTopic: WIP Tree and sprite  (Read 5822 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

WIP Tree and sprite

on: September 12, 2005, 10:30:37 pm
Great to see all the pixelation people around again, I missed all the great art and especially those familiar faces!
Anyways, I've been trying to fill time and boredom, so I've done this. I'm not really happy at all with it, but I thought I'd try to maybe turn it into something.

Updated tree:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 01:05:19 am by Dusty »

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Re: WIP Tiles and sprite

Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 01:12:22 am
I like the character and the trees, but the trees seem a tad... frowy... clumpy... spherical...?  You should also try and a add a shadow for the tree.  Anyway also try and break up the grass tiles by adding a random bush or flower or dead animal even feces...

Love your avy, welcome to the forums.
They are a tad unstable today tho...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 01:14:32 am by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 02:15:19 am
Ya, it actually messed up and went down when I went to try to post this. I've gotten a lot of comments on the tree, and I guess I'm going to end up completely redoing it.

The grass was more of a quick five-second throw-together to give it all a background. I plan on adding depth to the grass with many variations, and bushes and such. Thanks for the comments!

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 07:43:13 am
Updated the tree completely, again, the grass is just something to give a background:

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 09:13:17 am
I finished the tree... God I suck at trees. I have one with highlights and one without, I dunno if it looks better with, or without, or just bad alltogether:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 09:55:49 am by Dusty »

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 06:25:13 pm
I think it would be really hard to give effective C&C on the tree at this point, because in a scene mockup, you need to have a good idea of what an object is going to be placed against before critique will be at it's most effective. Until we know what the grass tiles will look like, or whether there wlil be dirt, water or building tiles included in the scene and how they will look like stylistically, any C&C given to the tree has the possibility of being nullified as each new tile is added.

I could give you enough C&C to turn your tree into something one would see in Seiken Densetsu3, but it would be useless if the rest of your tiles looked like something from Legend Of Zelda:Link to the Past

Offline lief

• View Profile

Re: WIP Tree and sprite

Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 04:40:55 am
you are shading the foliage shape as if it is just that... a shape on the page that you are adding detail to.  think about its actual 3d form, the light is coming almost directly down on it according to the shadow under it.  see tsugumos tutorial chapter 5, (http://tsugumo.swoo.net/tutorial/chapter5.htm) - it has some great information on how to approach shading like this.  you must imagine you are able to move around IN the image.. once you understand this you will be able to think about it differently.  That is all this requires, a change of approach.

Offline LuciferianSoul

• View Profile

Re: WIP Tree and sprite

Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 02:29:02 pm
The trees seem a bit clumpy and the contrast is a little low.
The newer one is better. Perhaps a little more contrast if you wanted, but otherwise, I think it's good.