AuthorTopic: My first pixel art  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Bearbear65

• View Profile

My first pixel art

on: June 24, 2017, 05:57:07 am
This is my first pixel art
What do you think about it? (It took me 1h and I'm open to criticism)

(I'm new to this forum so I didn't know how to upload pictures)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 07:06:30 am by PixelPiledriver »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: My first pixel art

Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 07:11:46 am
Welcome to Pixelation!  :)
Cute bear!

For posting images use a direct link within the img tags like this:

Code: [Select]
[img]https://image.ibb.co/iWsr8Q/bear_1.png[/img]
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 11:38:14 am
Edit:

These are all some suggestions to make it better. Firstly, since you are new to pixel art, I take it you are also new to art, so your shading and colours arent that good yet. You can see that I added some contrast and shading to suggest form. For colours i'd say, experiment as much as possible until you get the right colour. Shading takes a lot of practice as well. Both of these are art fundamentals and there are tons of tutorials online about them.

Now for some more pixel art related comments. You use black lines everywhere, for the outline this is fine, tho a dark grey or purple looks really nice as well. For the "inlines",lines in the sprites, i'd recommend to use more soft colours. As you can see thats what I did for the arms. Secondly, you use some 1 pixel clusters, a cluster is basically a shape of pixels of 1 colours. so a 1 pixel cluster is just a single pixel of 1 colour. These look pretty ugly so try to avoid those. Only for eyes i'd say you should use those, or if there is no other option(which there usually is). So for example those scattered orange pixels above the bomb, or the highlight above his eye, those can all be fixed by either removing them or making them bigger clusters.

So then i have a character comment. The bear seems pretty non-reactionary to the bomb. We don't know how he thinks about it. He has an exclamation sign next to him, but his face doesnt seem surprised at all. The bear could also look like he is planning to do something with the bomb then he could look like this:

Either way its good to show some character. the bear looks really lovely and hes a cool persona, so try to give him some personality.
You get in the bowl

Offline Bearbear65

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 12:20:50 pm
Thanks I'll work on the colors

Offline Sersch

• @moi_rai_
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 09:48:06 pm
while i agree with most what CFKaligula posted, i kinda like the original face with the small eyes :)

Offline Bearbear65

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 04:56:44 am
while i agree with most what CFKaligula posted, i kinda like the original face with the small eyes :)
Me too