AuthorTopic: [WIP] overworld sprite  (Read 2186 times)

Offline bumblebeetle

• View Profile

[WIP] overworld sprite

on: June 21, 2017, 03:08:47 am
I've been making a story game and am giving a go at designing the real (non-filler) sprites and tiles for it. Brand new to pixel art so am kinda out of my depth.

most of the game takes place at night or in caves so the colors will be pretty dark (I've maybe gone too far with that)

these are a couple concept sprites for the main character. I'm looking for help with 3/4 perspective, color choice and general advice.

thanks!

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [WIP] overworld sprite

Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 05:17:22 am
Color choice looks fine on its own, but we need to see how it will look in-game to really tell.
Remember, visibility is pretty important to any game!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 08:09:52 am
Edit:
All i did was higher the brightness drastically for every colour. You may not want your sprite to be this bright, but that is the level of contrast you need. I think that players will have enough suspension of disbelieve to believe they can see their character even though its dark.
You get in the bowl

Offline Sersch

• @moi_rai_
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 04:38:44 pm
yes you will need to make it look like it is night by other means, the player should still be able to differentiate the single colors. With the current version most players will see just a dark shade.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 04:43:46 pm
You should see how the sprite looks against the backdrop of in-game tiles before you start tweaking the colours. I agree with CFK that you need way more contrast, but the way you achieve that contrast will depend on what the environment looks like.

Something else to consider is how you can use the character design to create contrast. If you know all the environments will be dark, perhaps putting the characters in light-coloured clothing might be more effective than dressing them in dark colours. That way, you can darken those light colours and make them bluer to create the look of night, while maintaining plenty of contrast between the characters and their environment.

Alternatively, perhaps all your environment is snowy or otherwise light, in which case it's good to have a consistently dark character (though a bit more contrast within the characters would still be good).

In all cases, you should have at least at least some roughly drawn environments to put your characters into. Never design elements in isolation.