AuthorTopic: Sprite, Portrait and Stat Screen.  (Read 3742 times)

Offline StelloHexis

• View Profile

Sprite, Portrait and Stat Screen.

on: June 17, 2017, 10:51:12 pm
Overworld Sprite:

Portrait:

Stat Screen/Menu:

Offline hexcode

• I'm a Full-time Pixel Artist for hire!
    • @joseph_silipo
    • mrsilipo
    • View Profile
    • Joseph Silipo's Portfolio

Re: Sprite, Portrait and Stat Screen.

Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 01:00:07 am
Looks really cool,
I'd even out the spacial padding around the text, It will help make the presentation look cleaner.
Maybe add different colors for the stats vs the stat names?
Twitter @joseph_silipo
AVAILABLE FOR HIRE
I'm dedicating my life to become an amazing pixel artist.

Offline Impossible Realms

• ImpossibleRealm
    • GravityGames
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 02:01:58 am
Minus the "PlayerL100" across the top, I'd actually disagree, the tight spacing and consistent character size really gives off a nostalgic NES vibe, which I presume was the intention here. As for the art itself, I feel like the Overworld sprite may be a bit too small (could be just me though), but still really well made, I'd try adding the darker blue to the helmet as well to provide some shading like on the rest of the armor, but I didn't bother to check each 8x8 tile to see if that'd break NES limitations or not.

The portrait, on the other hand, I really love! I don't see much wrong with it, and it looks really nice especially for the era being emulated here. If I had to say something to be improved, I'd say it'd be the shading on the body. Humorously the opposite of the overworld sprite, the helmet in the profile has some really nice shading, but the rest is just a flat blue. However, given the NES style, I'd say it's an optional thing, and looks just fine as is, already appearing to be something you'd actually see in a mid to late era NES game!

Offline Schwee

• SchweeDubulus
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 02:19:29 am
I dig.  The blue looks a little flat in the chest area of the portrait.  Maybe try messing around a bit with some dithering or if you're willing to add a second darker shade, try that?  The previous poster shares my thoughts, which is that you're probably not willing to increase your palette if you're aiming for the NES style.
Looking to collaborate.  Hit me up, especially if you are a GM programmer, or if you just have some sweet ideas.

Offline StelloHexis

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 03:25:31 pm
Thanks guys, you are so helpful! I tried implementing all of what you guys mentioned. I ended with this:

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 03:42:08 pm by StelloHexis »

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 10:00:48 pm
As far as NES restictions go, is the portrait face going to be drawn with aid of sprites? The dark orange certainly fits into a background palette but I don't see a way for the yellow and white to fit unless you'd use multiple similar palettes. That would, I think, be somewhat wasteful.

I think the dark blue can replace a lot of the black around the helmet (on my screen the smaller bits are obscured by the contrsat between the light blue and black). This is also the case for the overworld sprite, it is very difficult to read at 1x. I also think the asymmetrical helmet looks more like hair (possibly more of a case that many graphics use such a short-hand?).
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.

Offline StelloHexis

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 12:58:58 am
This game is being made in Unity. I want the game to have a NES feel. But I'm not really following any restrictions other than using a NES palette. I do try to keep the colors to a minimum. I agree the helmet was a problem. I kind of went for a simple binary shade for making the shape of the armor instead of being dependent on the black outlines

Offline Schwee

• SchweeDubulus
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 07:35:10 pm
Since you added the darker blue, I am not seeing any particular improvements, just variations.  I think you got this one covered homie!
Looking to collaborate.  Hit me up, especially if you are a GM programmer, or if you just have some sweet ideas.

Offline StelloHexis

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 02:00:18 am
I wasn't too happy with what I ended up with. I tried changing it up a bit. Here's the the sprite animated: