AuthorTopic: [WIP][C&C] Parchment Style Pixel Palette  (Read 6504 times)

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

[WIP][C&C] Parchment Style Pixel Palette

on: June 15, 2017, 08:52:26 pm
Starting a project, where a full top down tileset, and character will be displayed on a piece of parchment, looking at 16x16 tiles
I am trying to decide on a colour palette that will capture both the retro pixel art style and the parchment paper look, however picking colours has always been really difficult for me (impartially colour blind so that doesn't help).

I'm worried if I picked the wrong colours I wound get enough depth in the details or that the character will blend into the environment too much.

Since everything is made out of parchment id imagine I should keep the colour palette, small.
Any ideas/ thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:30:26 pm by Linaru »
Linaru Greyfall

Offline Portokal

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C&C] Parchment Style Pixel Palette

Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 01:28:11 am
Personally, I'd probably go for something like this:

where the objects look more like ink drawings (or stains, for the lighter shades), and with an emphasis on blotted lines rather than on areas of solid color. But that's just my personal take on it— if you look at the colors Civ 6 uses for its parchment-style fog of war, for example, it's totally different. Actually, taking inspiration from that might not be a bad idea!

I'm slightly colorblind as well, but, assuming that you're also deuteranomalous (the most common form, where you have trouble perceiving greens), it probably shouldn't come into play too much for this particular project— not a whole lotta green to be found in parchment  :P

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP][C&C] Ink & Parchment Style Pixel world

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 11:23:02 am
After playing around some I think that limiting to 4 colours was not working too well for me, in addition, when I played with the concept of links I was trying to do them in a blueish colour...

I noticed in your idea that your darker colours were redder, and match much better with the parchment colours so I am now looking at something a bit like this:

in the right there I attempted to draw a small ink blob creature to test the palette out.

===========

Have spent some time playing around with the main character am still a little unsure using so many similar colours, so could use some opinions:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 08:44:06 pm by Linaru »
Linaru Greyfall

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 01:46:24 pm
The new character looks much better :)
The darkest color looks too dark compared to the others. I would add one between that and the next or lighten it a bit.

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 07:37:01 am
The new character looks much better :)
The darkest colour looks too dark compared to the others. I would add one between that and the next or lighten it a bit.

Will look into that, I don't wish to add too many colours tough as it will defeat the point of a limited palette.

in game screen shot gives me an idea of how it comes together.. have a few ideas for improvement but any ideas will help, i have not really worked on anything of this art style before

Linaru Greyfall

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 07:47:37 am
hmmm....
I'd say some fraying around the edges! Make it look like an old piece of paper instead of a doily by giving it a rougher more torn-off organic sorta shape.
Like this!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 12:13:50 pm
hmmm....
I'd say some fraying around the edges! Make it look like an old piece of paper instead of a doily by giving it a rougher more torn-off organic sorta shape.
Like this!

the image does not seem to work.

ill work on the border some later, as currently, it I am just trying to get the basics in place,

I've had another attempt at the character having added another shade and tweaked my pallette have also made the dirt path tiles lighter, I branched off from the original theme a bit for the wood table tiles as I felt this would help separate the paper, a bit from background elements but im still not happy with those colours.

Linaru Greyfall

Offline Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 07:39:58 pm
try something like this:

bare in mind the method uses a bit of beveling/light direction so to get this style you would have to put some work into making separate tiles for flipped tiled vertically. Also the variant of tiles (with paper tears, dimples, frayed edges, corner curl.etc) are just to demonstrate some ideas you could use to get a more parchment look, again depends how much time/work you want to put in to created variants, but I see your style is keeping minimal so perhaps be subtle with some of the ideas I have shown

keep up the good work

EDIT: forgot to say, i changed your white to an off white HSL: 242. I might recommend not using pure whites or blacks for a number of reasons.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 08:02:51 pm by Tycho Magnetic Anomaly »

Offline Portokal

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 01:04:01 am
To be completely honest, that looks more to me like cookie dough than like parchment :P I think your edit adds a little too much depth— parchment is very thin and somewhat translucent, so it won't be casting that deep a shadow, and there won't be much bevel to speak of. I'd probably introduce a more saturated yellow for the edges, to represent where light is shining through (like when you hold a flashlight up to your finger, and it glows red, only yellow in this case). I also might try to add larger off-color areas to represent undulations. Here's a crappy example of what I'm talking about— I payed absolutely no attention to the grid, sorry about that:

EDIT: Forgot to mention earlier, but I like the new colors a lot more. That ink monster is great!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:07:11 am by Portokal »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 01:05:56 am
The two above me illustrated the idea better than my sample did, haha. Look at what they did!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |