AuthorTopic: Beginner looking for feedback  (Read 262 times)

Offline Michoko

• View Profile

Beginner looking for feedback

on: June 13, 2017, 12:08:37 pm
Hi,

I'm a total beginner regarding pixel art (I'm a long-time developer), but I'd love to create an indie game, so I started learning. Needless to say my first steps were a bit frustrating, and I'd feel less alone if some kind soul would help me improve my work. :)

Actually, besides learning pure pixel art techniques, I have another challenge: character design. I know exactly what kind of story I want to tell, and my hero will be a native precolumbian-like hero. He is pretty young, so I don't want to add too much accessories to his character (i.e. no big assets / jewels like for an Aztec King, for example). But since natives are almost naked, it is difficult to make the character stand out.

I made two versions. A "modern" pixel art style one:

And a silhouette-oriented one: (I'd actually love to make a highly contrasted, silhouette-based design for the entire game)

I don't know exactly what to think about those two first attempts, so any feedback / constructive criticism would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance! :)

Offline LoreSmyth

• View Profile

Re: Beginner looking for feedback

Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 12:19:31 pm
Hey

Lovely stuff. I am totally new myself so I won't try and give feedback.
I do like the pose of the bottom one with the staff upwards better. It feels more "active"
I think you have a good base to work on! Maybe you can use some lighter pastel colors to give more "aztec/warm" feeling.
Right now its pretty dark/towards black, leaving little detail to show?

Offline Michoko

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 08:23:46 am
Thank you Loresmyth for the kind words and suggestions. To give my game a more "mysterious" atmosphere, I'd love to use silhouette design (i.e. black in foreground and brighter in the background). I know it has been used many times before, but I love this style, and I think it is good for story telling, as it leaves room for imagination. However, going full black may become a bit boring in the long term, and may give a deja vu feeling. That's why I tried to use some highly contrasted highlights like red and white elements.

But in that kind of design, I'm not sure my shading is good / compatible with the initial idea. That's why I'm very interested in artistic feedback.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:25:28 am by Michoko »

Offline LoreSmyth

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 08:27:00 am
My suggestion would be to try all variations. You will learn from it and discover what works and does not work.
Sometimes just doing it might surprise you, instead of only thinking/analysing things.

Good luck!