AuthorTopic: Back to the roots... simple ball bouncing in place.  (Read 2387 times)

Offline hexdump

• View Profile
Hi,

I'm a newbie at animation. Have found some really nice exercises to start and would like to hear the opinion of the community for my first exercise. A simple bouncing ball (inplace).

For me it is ok, but perhaps more experienced users can spot problems. What do you think?

P.D. I can send ase file if needed.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 05:13:13 pm by hexdump »

Offline hexdump

• View Profile

Re: Back to the roots... simple ball bouncing in place.

Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 10:15:32 pm
I did some edits to the original. I think it is much better now:

What do you think?

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 11:17:20 pm
You've rectified it somewhat in the second attempt but the important thing with stretch and squash is to maintain volume. It does depend on the style but generally you want to imagine whatever you're animating as a very elastic version of itself and what shape that would take when you stretch or squash it. Right now I would say you stretch it a little too thin.

There is a different technique called a smear which is more like what you're doing in the first version, however you would usually use that for very fast, long movements.

I always thought practicing stretch and squash on a ball was a bit of a tricky one since balls are actually elastic. With that in mind I would personally not employ any stretch on the way down, only on the way back up. Otherwise it looks like the ball is reaching out to touch the ground, rather than mindlessly bouncing.

The overall vertical motion looks really good. Definitely do as many of these types of exercises as you can find. If you can remember to employ spacing and timing this methodically in more complicated character animation will have a much easier time ;D

Offline Schwee

• SchweeDubulus
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 04:48:51 am
I think you have the essential concept down.  There's definitely more than one correct answer to this.  Personally,  I would have the ball retain its original shape quicker on the way back up.  But I do like your exaggeration, which is the second point of this exercise after squash and stretch.
Looking to collaborate.  Hit me up, especially if you are a GM programmer, or if you just have some sweet ideas.

Offline hexdump

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 04:22:49 pm
I tried to avoid extreme streching here and try to keep the roundness a bit more. Perhaps it feels better now:

What do you think?