AuthorTopic: The Demogorgon from stranger things  (Read 4037 times)

Offline CuriouserP

• View Profile
    • IndieDB

The Demogorgon from stranger things

on: June 12, 2017, 02:27:29 am
This is my first animated art. What can I do to make the movement smoother/better? And yes, after I had exported it I realized that the shadow on his right foot moves in one frame. oops   :-[

Offline Schwee

• SchweeDubulus
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: The Demogorgon from stranger things

Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 03:21:51 am
Definitely not bad but I would recommend playing around with his hip position on the horizontal axis.  It's one of those things you'll have to try and out see.  The hand movement looks like its as good as it needs to be but its a bit obvious that the legs aren't moving.  Keep in mind that us bipeds generally tend to keep the majority of our weight on one leg at a time.  You'll often see idle stances consist of alternating between which leg carries the weight.  Also keep in mind that during that process, the hips rotate slightly.  Sometimes it's too difficult to portray the rotation with limited pixels though.  Keep up the good work.
Looking to collaborate.  Hit me up, especially if you are a GM programmer, or if you just have some sweet ideas.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 09:08:49 am
Lotta extra colors and jank tangents!
Try to condense it a bit and rework it so it's got more solid chunks of color. Also, not sure if this is correct or not, but I remember them having thinner necks and being somewhat more gangly and skeletal!

Here's a reference image I dug up to help with details:
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Schwee

• SchweeDubulus
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 10:18:42 am
Another thing that comes to mind as I look at your animation again, you would benefit from offsetting your arm animations.  Delaying one of the arms by one frame will result in a more organic look.
Looking to collaborate.  Hit me up, especially if you are a GM programmer, or if you just have some sweet ideas.

Offline CuriouserP

• View Profile
    • IndieDB

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 10:14:34 pm
Alright I'll focus on fixing the movement first, and then I'll do shading. Here's what I got. I fixed the torso and legs so that they don't stretch, and I delayed the animation of the right arm. I didn't really make him shift his weight from one leg to the other, because it's only a six frame animation, and I don't think that's enough space to do it effectively. Tips? I think the legs look a bit weird, but I'm not sure how to fix them.

EDIT:
After looking at this for a little while I realized that the head should move more, since the Demogorgon is supposed to have a long neck, so here is a modified version where his head bobs a little more to the side. Let me know what you think about this.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 10:29:27 pm by CuriouserP »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 11:33:16 pm
That's looking​ fantastic! When doing the head try to adjust the angle with the neck for a more organic look too!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Schwee

• SchweeDubulus
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 04:07:44 am
The knees still look a bit off,  there is a frame where his knees bend but the hips don't move, which makes it look like the legs are stretching out.  The other edits are looking good!

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 10:00:25 pm
I think it's a great start! Any reason you haven't made it taller? I think the thin lanky feel is an important part of it's design. Just stretching it up a bit feels a lot better:

Probably wouldn't hurt to even go a bit taller, I just brought it to a clean 64 pix height.