AuthorTopic: [C+C] [Nudity] Basic human character for my game  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Corus

• View Profile

[C+C] [Nudity] Basic human character for my game

on: June 11, 2017, 03:57:44 pm
Hi. I'm kind of stuck since i want to make sure the player character looks decent before i decide this project is worth continuing or not.
I'm mainly a programmer but I enjoy doing all the art myself.

Note that human characters can equip different outfits.
this is a really important feature however and i coded my animation system similar to Terraria or Starbound which will make the process alot easier.
i'm not convinced at the characters face. Maybe i shouldn't try to give the characters a face at such small size. it looks confusing on bright backgrounds and i have no idea how to fix this. I tried adding more pixels with poor results. I thought about adding a black outline but i'm not sure this is a good idea, since it would clash with the artstyle I chose.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C] [Nudity] Basic human character for my game

Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 10:28:43 pm
I'd say you're overthinking the face, I'm looking at it now and I don't see anything particularly wrong even at three times resolution.
As for outlines, I'd also warned against that for the reasons you mentioned. Draft up a few outfits for this! Draw something like robes and hoods and goggles and glasses and masks and pants and satchels and all that, see how it works when there are accessories involved.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Corus

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 08:38:03 am
I guess the face is alright but I get ocd for the most insignificant of things and I overlook the real problems.
I think this is the starter outfit:

I tend to overdesign things and animating could take forever or not look great but it doesn't matter since this is more of a personal project that anything.
But maybe I'll have to cut some details of some of my stuff if this gets too complicated.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 09:06:24 am
I'd say work on the colors, it's kind of an ugly look if I'm being fully honest with you. Mix it up some with deeper saturations and some dividing accessories, like a belt or undershirt.
Shoes also need work, I thought they were platform boots for a second haha
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Corus

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 09:54:12 am
I don't know about a belt. It's supposed to be a very worn tabard. But i guess you mean it would look better like something like this

Maybe i'll add some green for more color variation.