AuthorTopic: Looking for advice on a naturalistic walk cycle [C+C]  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Xolotl

• View Profile
At least naturalism is my goal. Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 01:03:01 pm by Xolotl »

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Re: Looking for advice on a naturalistic walk cycle [C+C]

Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 10:00:06 pm
I think his legs look pretty good, only his arms are really weird. people usually bend their elbows and stuff. Im pretty sure you can find tons of ref material for this animation online.
You get in the bowl

Offline Xolotl

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 05:22:59 pm
UPDATE:
Latest version, with dots for key points:

ORIGINAL:
I think his legs look pretty good, only his arms are really weird. people usually bend their elbows and stuff. Im pretty sure you can find tons of ref material for this animation online.

Thanks for the feedback. You're absolutely right - the arms are an issue. There isn't enough motion. I've taken it back to basics. I'm trying to get the forms down before I shade it again. Here's attempt 2, with more motion and bend in the arm:

I've reversed the direction so it conforms more with reference materials, which tend to face right. I've also decided to try and get one arm down before I work on the other.

It's hard to have perspective on my own work, but am I right in that his hand looks a bit too small or oddly shaped when it reaches forward? And maybe the thighs get too thick at the top on the forward step? Perhaps I could also change the hand in the down frame when it pulls fully back so it looks like it's flicking out just a tiny bit? I've experimented with that and it always looks unnatural, but there must be some way to make the arm / hand look less robotic or stilted when it's flinging out to the left. Also when it moves out to the front, in the two frames where it's most extended, I feel like the clean row of pixel on his forearm might be too noticeable. I'm not sure if that's an issue or not though.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 10:11:34 pm by Xolotl »

Offline Schwee

• SchweeDubulus
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 03:24:17 am
Your best bet to get a completely realistic walk cycle is to find a reference animation, scale it down, and pixelize over it.  I'm not sure if I'd recommend this if you are trying to improve your animation skills though.  Most animators will prefer to work custom so they can add personality to the characters motions.  Think about a big tough guy walk vs an insecure peron's walk.  Just about every aspect of the motion can change depending on personality!
Looking to collaborate.  Hit me up, especially if you are a GM programmer, or if you just have some sweet ideas.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 09:07:24 am
Your best bet to get a completely realistic walk cycle is to find a reference animation, scale it down, and pixelize over it.  I'm not sure if I'd recommend this if you are trying to improve your animation skills though.  Most animators will prefer to work custom so they can add personality to the characters motions.  Think about a big tough guy walk vs an insecure peron's walk.  Just about every aspect of the motion can change depending on personality!

Actually, if you use aseprite it actually has an option for scaleable rotoscope layers. So the reference can be original rez yet still smaller than the pixel grid so you can draw all over it. It's a fantastic asset.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |