AuthorTopic: Looking for advice  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Looking for advice

on: May 31, 2017, 07:58:38 pm
Greetings,
I have been doing pixel art for a few years now as a hobby, I was never super serious about it and I don't consider myself that good.
However, more recently I have been contemplating becoming a freelance pixel artist, and I am wondering if anyone one here has any advice or knows of any pitfalls I should avoid?

Due to disability I have never actually had a job before, so I am still trying to puzzle out how to do simple things like taxes on income, and just generally trying to plan it out and see if its the direction I want to go.

any advice or tales of caution from other freelance artists out there would be appreciated.

Linaru Greyfall

Offline Schwee

• SchweeDubulus
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Looking for advice

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 08:27:37 pm
I've only done freelance a few times but my advice would be to just start.  You don't need to worry about stuff like taxes unless you're making a good amount of money from it.  If you get an offer,  I suggest asking for half of the money up front.  Paypal is probably the most common method of payment, so have an account setup.  It doesn't hurt to talk w the potential client for a bit to determine if it is a good idea.

The only real issue I've had so far was the client asking for more edits, and promising payment that wasn't delivered.  I was forced to put my work on hold till they paid up, which they did, and everything went smoothly from there.  Hope this helps.
Looking to collaborate.  Hit me up, especially if you are a GM programmer, or if you just have some sweet ideas.