AuthorTopic: [WIP] Isometric Fortress  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Invincible

• invinciblestudios
    • View Profile

[WIP] Isometric Fortress

on: May 31, 2017, 01:10:34 am
Any thoughts, especially on color?

Offline Schwee

• SchweeDubulus
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: [WIP] Isometric Fortress

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 06:24:05 am
My thoughts are that it's not shitty.  It is certainly acceptable if not just pleasant.   I would recommend adjusting your mid tone grey, either brighten it or darken your shadows.  On the right wall, you can barely see the color change in the top bricks.  You should also try experimenting with changing the color of your outline,  center top for example, where it is the brightest, the outline becomes more exaggerated. Try using the next brightest tone for some parts.  Keep up the good work.
Looking to collaborate.  Hit me up, especially if you are a GM programmer, or if you just have some sweet ideas.

Offline Invincible

• invinciblestudios
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 12:44:17 am

Thanks for the help. Here's the fixed version.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 12:49:43 am
These colours are definitely better, though I think the brick outlines are still hard to see. Have you tried making them solid instead of outlines?

The dithering on the little towery bits on the top of the tower make them look rounded, but at the same time, they seem to line up with the sharp corners of the tower. That doesn't make sense. if they're round, then the sharp corners beneath them should stick out. If they're flush with the sharp corners, then they can't be round.

Offline Invincible

• invinciblestudios
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 01:31:08 am

Not sure if the bricks should be shaded in. I want to keep it subtle.

Offline Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 06:09:13 am
Hey, Excellent improvements over your first post. I just love the statue and tree stump next to it, I just love those tiny details.  I know this is related to the fort more then anything, and I also know it is WIP for you, but I was hoping you might have done something to those trees in your last iteration, and now my worry is you are considering the trees as final. So I thought to bow in and just give a suggestion on the trees as they are so flat and totally lost in their shadowing.

Just very simple and quick, took another green to give it a simple 2 color shade to help define the shape of the tree, then speckled in alternate shades in-between that to simulate leafy/bushy look. Ok so the issue was finding a suitable color for the ground shadow that was already in your image since I used your old shadow color for the dark side of the trees. My best choice was a dark grey, which dose not look the best I will admit

If you could allow yourself one more color, OR change another color to this (which I think could be possible, so at least you maintain color count). I am pretty sure this lighter shadow looks a tiny bit more balanced compared to the dark shadow you had anyway so might be worth doing.

Try mess about with color balance to harmonize your colors.

Well done on the piece anyway its so cute :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 06:35:46 am by Tycho Magnetic Anomaly »